E-scooters to be allowed on public roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Actually i think I did get your point. Which to clarify in my words... The minority who are dangerous /inconsiderate cyclists gives all cyclists a bad name.

My point to that is that all escooterists are inconsiderate in that they're all illegally riding it on public roads, trial scheme area legality aside. Minority unfairly gives majority cyclists a bad name. Majority escooterists should give them all a bad name imho!

Of course if my attempt to clarify is still wide of the mark in understanding your post the in my defence you've made a poorly worded post if everyone responding has failed to understand it. Perhaps another post with new wording to clarify?

I don't consider them to be automatically inconsiderate just because it is illegal. So I don't think "all" escooterists are inconsiderate.

It may not be as small a minority who are as is te case with cyclists, TBH I wouldn't like to guess on that. My point is that in both cases, people are picking up on the negative behaviour they see, and wrongly extending that to "all".

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
"I borrowed my friend’s E-scooter for a test drive and got seized!! The scooter only worth £200 and now I got fined for £1000. This is absolutely crazy. I just got my driving license few months back and now 6 points is deducted and all done! I need this driving license to apply for my job. I’m only have £600 monthly income and I don’t know what can I do next. This is crazy!!!"

Now I can understand them feeling like that. Now we may know all about the different bits of rules and regulations and legislation because we are internet nerds. But general failure to enforce the rules or inform the public of the rules followed by sporadic application will inevitably catch out people who aren't internet nerds.

Jody

Stubborn git
"I borrowed my friend’s E-scooter for a test drive and got seized!! The scooter only worth £200 and now I got fined for £1000. This is absolutely crazy. I just got my driving license few months back and now 6 points is deducted and all done! I need this driving license to apply for my job. I’m only have £600 monthly income and I don’t know what can I do next. This is crazy!!!"

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/ElectricScooters/comments/166cslr/i_got_fined_1000_using_electricscooter_this_is/?rdt=53274

Whilst I don't disagree with the fine, I find the £240 "victim" surcharge a bit of a p*ss take

vickster

Legendary Member
Now I can understand them feeling like that. Now we may know all about the different bits of rules and regulations and legislation because we are internet nerds. But general failure to enforce the rules or inform the public of the rules followed by sporadic application will inevitably catch out people who aren't internet nerds.

Ignorance of the law isn't a defence sadly. I'd say the rules are pretty clear, privately owned ones aren't allowed to be used in any public place, period. He's got a driving licence so is not a child

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ignorance of the law isn't a defence sadly. I'd say the rules are pretty clear, privately owned ones aren't allowed to be used in any public place, period. He's got a driving licence so is not a child

I never suggested it was a defence, or anything legal of that nature.

grldtnr

If you should ever encounter me in the street would you please do me the honour of shouting, "get off moi laaannnnnddd!" while doing this? It'd make my

So if someone's in the wrong you try to knock them off their bike? Careful doing that. They could attack you with a weapon. Or they could fall in front of a bus

Said nothing of attacking them, only defending myself from being run into, should they connect with me and I have them off ,not my fault, I was am just standing my ground.
If they are in the wrong ,and take the wrong decision in continuing towards me it's their look out !
I am lawfully walking the pavement /footways, they should do the same.
Might has right in this case, I can't help being over 6ft and just as wide, not my problem if they bounce of me!

It's their choice.

grldtnr

Where does the person on an expensive bike with good bike-handling skills dressed in quality cycling kit ie all the gear AND ideas. But who rides through red lights and pedestrian crossings or hops onto pavements to avoid red lights fit in your classification?

In your scenario ,plainly a bicycle user, it's black & white

grldtnr

Àh, he did have ! What offence had he committed to have it taken away in the first place?
Plainly doesn't think he needs to abide by the laws.
I once got 3 points for speeding, but contested it because the temporary speed limit was not plainly displayed , it had been knocked over so wasn't legible.
I was successfull,.

vickster

Legendary Member
Àh, he did have ! What offence had he committed to have it taken away in the first place?
Plainly doesn't think he needs to abide by the laws.
I once got 3 points for speeding, but contested it because the temporary speed limit was not plainly displayed , it had been knocked over so wasn't legible.
I was successfull,.

6 points for the scooter? Think you’ll lose your licence if you get points in first 2 year or something?
https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/new-drivers

Not sure what your anecdote has to do with a new driver getting done for being uninsured on an e scooter?

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

PK99

Legendary Member
Said nothing of attacking them, only defending myself from being run into, should they connect with me and I have them off ,not my fault, I was am just standing my ground.
If they are in the wrong ,and take the wrong decision in continuing towards me it's their look out !
Might has right in this case, I can't help being over 6ft and just as wide, not my problem if they bounce of me!

It's their choice.

I have twice held my ground on the pavement when I was recovering from a dislocated shoulder, presenting my good shoulder to a pavement cyclist.

On both occasions the cyclist hit me.

Normally I would have stepped to one side but needing to protect my damaged side took priority.

Jody

Stubborn git

It's their choice.

Just go about your day and leave others alone.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

grldtnr

Just go about your day and leave others alone.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

I do ... generally , I am not out to wage war on miscreants, but if they impinge on my lawfull activities and come of the worse, then whose to blame?

This is totally unrelated, but perhaps it explains my attitude, many years ago I was unfortunate to be involved in a road collision, I was knocked off my bike. , I was in hospital 6 weeks, off work 7 months, and I can't say I have fully recovered, the driver 3as given 11 points ( ?) And a fine.
But perhaps I had the last laugh, I wrote off his car it was unrepairable, my lasting regret is not aiming my gist through the windscreen at him, I totally caved in his roof ,the windscreen surround was severely buckled.
I survived against the odds, but still have the metalwork in my legs from the surgical repair.
Perhaps this explains my attitude, to people whom think they can play fast and loose.
Like John Wayne is supposed 6o have said ' I won't be wronged '
He was a powder puff....

Top Bottom