E-scooters to be allowed on public roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
True, but the majority of Lime Bikers I see neither look nor indicate.

Thats no better than indicating without looking.

One is either riding safely, or one is not. There is no middle ground.

Mind you Drago is ex-plod ,so predisposed against unsocial behaviour.
And after all these years ASB still grinds my gears. I have to really bite my tongue and rise above all but the very worst of it, else I may as well become a special and have at it properly...and that ain't happening any time soon! :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Son no. 2's university riders are sponsored by Lime this year. His new 'Lime-branded' kit's just arrived :laugh:

Are Lime also providing the bikes? :wacko:

Not the most aero, or lightweight. Still, I suppose they'll have to remove the batteries to avoid accusations of cheating, so that might lighten them a bit. As they aren't diamond frame they may fall foul of the UCI rules.

And once they cross the finish line will they just get off, throw their bike to the ground and walk away, leaving it lying on the floor?

A cyclist on the pavement/footway isn't technically out to collide or cause harm. It might not be legal or socially acceptable but criminal violence it isn't.

Preparing your stance for a potential impact as a pedestrian or standing without moving isn't showing intent to cause harm or violence to a cyclist.

Doing the above then dropping your shoulder to take an impact that is expected to harm the cyclist is about harm or violence.

Imho the last one is beyond acceptable and ideal world would be subject to enforcement. Not anywhere near ideal world as there's a cyclist where they shouldn't be and a pedestrian out to cause harm / retribution should the cyclist impact him. Classic two wrongs scenario as well!

I think @Jody has put it all more clearly than I ever will.

Reactions: C R

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Are Lime also providing the bikes? :wacko:

Not the most aero, or lightweight. Still, I suppose they'll have to remove the batteries to avoid accusations of cheating, so that might lighten them a bit. As they aren't diamond frame they may fall foul of the UCI rules.

And once they cross the finish line will they just get off, throw their bike to the ground and walk away, leaving it lying on the floor?

My understanding is that it's just names on the kit. I'm not sure what else they're offering as 'inducements'. It's on the front, rear and shoulders of their NoPinz skinsuits as 'modelled' by son no. 2 last night at Derby velodrome:

P1300179.jpg

No equipment though: I don't believe Lime do track bikes :okay:

Bristolian

10mph on a pavement is not great on an escooter or cyclist or indeed runners. However quiet it is riding a bike or escooter on the pavement is wrong and potentially dangerous. You've just given another good example of bad behaviour by escooterists. You're proving my point nicely. ^_^

I agree. 10mph on a footpath is way too fast. My wife's mobility scooter has a switch which changes the maximum speed it will travel at - 8mph on the road (too slow to be safe, in my opinion) or 4mph on the pavement, which can be too fast as most pedestrians barely walk at 2mph.

Around the estate where we live there are a large number of disabled people and many of those have mobility scooters. There is a growing tendency for those to be illegal too as they can travel at more than 8mph. The guy that lives opposite me is 70 years old and has a three wheeled one that is styled like a Vespa motor scooter and can do 15mph* which he rides on both the road and pavement.

* I know it will do 15mph because I followed him along a segregated shared path on my bike. He was riding in the pedestrian lane.

Top Bottom