E-scooters to be allowed on public roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
over 6ft and just as wide

What are you a cube?

classic33

Leg End Member
As always it depends. Many pavements have been turned into joint use paths and it’s perfect right and safe. Riding on a pavement isn’t necessarily dangerous to others. I depends on how it is done.
Legally they're powered mobility platforms, for use on the roads not the footpaths.

The rules regarding the use of those being used in the trials were changed in December last year. You're now required to provide a picture of your driving licence, with your picture on it to use one. This so that if needs be, the hire companies can pass the users details on to the police.

Bristolian

Another name for a scooter is a moped.

It's not the first legal one on UK roads either. Seen one in Leeds, fully licensed, rider in protective equipment and front & rear lights. Being used correctly, on the road, where it belongs.

The one in the video, is registered for road use. And in the opening 90 seconds there's enough offences committed to get more than 12 points, and they've put them on youtube!
The terms scooter and moped are often applied to anything that's clearly not a proper motorbike but in law (at least here in the UK) they are different entities.

Bristolian

Legally they're powered mobility platforms, for use on the roads not the footpaths.

The rules regarding the use of those being used in the trials were changed in December last year. You're now required to provide a picture of your driving licence, with your picture on it to use one. This so that if needs be, the hire companies can pass the users details on to the police.

Unfortunately, parents are still willing to register their driving licence details to enable their kids to use these hire scooters and the hire companies do little (or nothing) to enforce the rules. They are lined up like a Le Mans start line outside our local high school.

classic33

Leg End Member
Unfortunately, parents are still willing to register their driving licence details to enable their kids to use these hire scooters and the hire companies do little (or nothing) to enforce the rules. They are lined up like a Le Mans start line outside our local high school.
Local council are looking at putting charging points, at a local infant and junior school. For e-bikes and e-scooters, fully aware of the age restrictions in place on both.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sadly, nothing surprises me anymore :sad:
It's to help keep the kids active.
Arriving at school by either means is apparently more active than walking there.
And safer!

grldtnr

It's to help keep the kids active.
Arriving at school by either means is apparently more active than walking there.
And safer!

How so? Cycling is active movement, so is walking, in my opinion walking to school is safer than riding a cycle or using a not strictly legal e- scooter, , with both cycling and scooting is the way they are ridden that makes cycling dangerous when mixing with traffic.
My reasoning is you wouldn't walk in a busy carriageway, no more than expect to go belting along a footpath, on a back wheel doing wheelies......but that's a really common occurrence.
Why ! I ask ,what does it prove riding along pulling wheelies.
I never did ,and don't intend to.

'Its the person ,and not the machine that's dangerous.

classic33

Leg End Member
How so? Cycling is active movement, so is walking, in my opinion walking to school is safer than riding a cycle or using a not strictly legal e- scooter, , with both cycling and scooting is the way they are ridden that makes cycling dangerous when mixing with traffic.
My reasoning is you wouldn't walk in a busy carriageway, no more than expect to go belting along a footpath, on a back wheel doing wheelies......but that's a really common occurrence.
Why ! I ask ,what does it prove riding along pulling wheelies.
I never did ,and don't intend to.

'Its the person ,and not the machine that's dangerous.
If they do know, and I don't think they do, they're not saying.
But the legal age limits for both have simply been ignored.

Drago

Legendary Member
This so that if needs be, the hire companies can pass the users details on to the police.

Our local trial company were recently prosecuted for failing to provide details of a rider to the dibble.

So the riders are loons, the hire companies are acting in a wilfully obstructive and unlawful manner...so the trial will doubtless be deemed a success!

Drago

Legendary Member
How so? Cycling is active movement, so is walking, in my opinion walking to school is safer than riding a cycle or using a not strictly legal e- scooter,

Perception and genuine risk rarely align.

Per journey mile youre more likely to die while walking in public than cycling (59 deaths per billion journey miles, v 54 for cycling.)

Indeed, us regular cyclists live on average 7 years longer than sedentary car drivers. Not cycling will, on average, kill you a lot quicker than cycling will.

The stats on the scooters are still ambiguous, but going from local data (3 deaths in the town since the trial started v one cycling death jn the same period, despite there being far more bike riders) I would be inclined to agree scooters are about the most dangerous option.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran

Per journey mile youre more likely to die while walking in public than cycling (59 deaths per billion journey miles, v 54 for cycling.)

Indeed, us regular cyclists live on average 7 years longer than sedentary car drivers. Not cycling will, on average, kill you a lot quicker than cycling will.

The stats on the scooters are still ambiguous, but going from local data (3 deaths in the town since the trial started v one cycling death jn the same period, despite there being far more bike riders) I would be inclined to agree scooters are about the most dangerous option.

Deaths per journey mile is not a very useful measurement as it takes much longer to cover the same distance on foot compared to cycling. A better statistic would be deaths and serious injuries per hour of exposure. People might be fine about cycling or driving 5 miles to work but not walking that distance. I am not sure if the official statistics include non traffic accidents to pedestrians and cyclists e.g. tripping over a tree root on a bridleway.

Using a metric of injuries per hour would probably make scooters appear more dangerous.

PK99

Legendary Member

As always the same stats can be looked at in different ways.

59 v 54 is essentially the same risk per mile. Cycling marginally safer per mile.

Cycling journeys are longer, so per journey the risk will invert.

Cycling journeys are faster, so again risk per hour inverts.

It is always best when looking a data not to have a desired outcome as intentional or unintentional data massaging can lead to distortion.

Top Bottom