Easy wheel extention bar for Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have complained and seller has asked to see the slip. I am sure Amazon has it covered in the Ts and Cs but I will see what I can do
I complained too, the seller has refunded me £10 and I'm OK with that.
When I went online to pay the Royal Mail I noticed that the charge is £4.12 Customs, £8.00 Royal Mail handling 😯
I've bought a few parts for my Brommie off Ebay sellers, including a Titanium seat post and never been hit with fees before.
Maybe it's an Amazon thing.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The stock rollers flayed my calves and Eazy wheels only just clear them. There's no way I would want them wider! YMMV depending on foot size, cleat position and girth of calves (I'm heavily right-footed and my right calf is visibly, freakishly bigger than the left).

Gunk

Guru
I’ve considered this modification, but firstly although they do feel slightly wobbly when folded (without a rack) it is stable and has never fallen over and secondly I am concerned about the clearance between the eazywheels and my heels.

shingwell

My extended Easy Wheels are not extended all the time, only when you want it ie. when the bike is folded. When riding they are the same as standard Easy Wheels, then when you fold the bike you "pull out" one of them and push it back in when unfolding.

shingwell

Some pics, retracted and extended:

Folded:
520120 520121

"Sitting":
520123 520122

Wish I'd cleaned my shoes now:
520125 520124

Attachments

• 20200505_143625.jpg
    20200505_143625.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200505_143613.jpg
    20200505_143613.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200505_143517.jpg
    20200505_143517.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200505_143504.jpg
    20200505_143504.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 38

u_i

Über Member
Could you post by any chance a photo of the mounted extender where its view is not obscured, by seatpost or suspension block? This would be to understand where the roller wheels end up compared to their original position. Thanks.

shingwell

It is 75mm from the centreline of the bike to the centreline of each wheel when retracted.
It is 150mm from the centreline of the bike to the centreline of the extended wheel.

shingwell

Is that the same width as standard or slightly wider?
I included the ruler in the hope that someone else would measure standard ones, as I no longer have them fitted :laugh:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Standard Eazy wheels are 138mm outside to outside, not including the screw heads. The extendable ones are probably 160mm outside-outside when retracted, assuming the wheels are 10mm thick.

roley poley

Über Member
Standard Eazy wheels are 138mm outside to outside, not including the screw heads. The extendable ones are probably 160mm outside-outside when retracted, assuming the wheels are 10mm thick.
yes measured mine the same way as shingwell on center line of tread it is 160 on outside to outside

u_i

Über Member
Thanks, @shingwell, for posting the photos. I have too much buildup in the rear for an extender. However, it looks that I can go half way, by just moving the drive side rollers, on the triangle and rack, outwards a bit permanently. My 'ears' have been strengthened by brazing in the past so I should be able to afford a tad higher torque on the drive side ear.

u_i

Über Member
Inspired by the extender, I enhanced the stability of the folded bike by sticking the drive side wheel on the triangle by about 1cm. This is by how much the extender appears to move the wheel out, without even being extended. I also moved the wheel on the carrier by 0.5cm out to the drive side. This is not a solution for everyone, as the wheel moved farther out strains the tube that holds the bolt with the wheel. In my case the tube started detaching from the triangle in the past, as often happens with Bromptons, and I had the whole area reinforced by brazing. Also my pedal is pushed to the drive side more than normally, to accommodate extra chainrings. I.e., I have no danger of a heel stroke. Even, though, this is not for everyone, I thought I would post a photo as a possible inspiration for someone. The rolling of a folded bike is noticeably more stable now.

DriveSideWheel.jpg

Top Bottom