Easy wheel extention bar for Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
OK, i give up. Got it fitted and test run round the hardwood floor, great. However when I fold the bike to put it away I cannot find any way to get the bike to stay stable as it usually does. The bike tips over, wobbles and one of the little wheels is off the ground. Unless someone has a suggestion I am back to old wheels! @roley poley @steveindenmark (thanks for all the help so far)

roley poley

Über Member
OK, i give up. Got it fitted and test run round the hardwood floor, great. However when I fold the bike to put it away I cannot find any way to get the bike to stay stable as it usually does. The bike tips over, wobbles and one of the little wheels is off the ground. Unless someone has a suggestion I am back to old wheels! @roley poley @steveindenmark (thanks for all the help so far)
Are the axels on your eazy wheels straight and true as living on the corners they tend to get a bump that may put them out of kilter ?

jay clock

Massive member
there are no axles. Just a screw holding the (existing) wheels in. I have two aftermarket ones working fine. First pic below is the off balance bike when parked folded with the new kit fitted. Bike won't really even stand up

Could someone post a pic of theirs fitted with the bike fully unfolded?

Anyone else got my problem?
IMG_7006.jpg
IMG_7005.jpg

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Jannies wheels arrived today. My Bromptons on its way to Copenhagen to get fixed. I will fit them and take photos.

jay clock

Massive member
You have to extend the axle in full fold to avoid tip-overs. At least w/o a rack. And yes, that's annoying and yes, your are not alone (I wrote about that in the post four years ago that I linked from here). It will become even more funny with a bag attached.
I wheel it round folded once in a blue moon and no way can I be doing that

Gunk

Guru
I don’t quite understand what’s causing that, are you sure you have fitted it completely straight?

jay clock

Massive member
I don’t quite understand what’s causing that, are you sure you have fitted it completely straight?
yes. i think the issue is that the new device moves the centres of the mini wheels upwards (when bike opened) and downward when closed making the whole thing wobble

jay clock

Massive member
no fouling. the issue is that if you fold the bike normally without this device (fully) and plonk on the floor the whole thing sits steady. Imagine the centres of the wheels (ie the mounting points) are 2.5cm ( a guess) from the floor with the original wheels on. When you mount the new bar the whole bike is tipped forward )imagine grabbing rear of saddle and lifting the reproof the folded bike a couple of cm and the original mounting points (into which the device is screwed) are now say 4cm from the floor. That seems to make the weight of the right hand side of the bike tip slightly, lifting the left wheel off the floor

When I have a mo I will try again and take better pics!

Gunk

Guru
Because at the normal height the front tyre steadies the bike when folded, that’s why you need to pull out the extension bar.

So a solution to problem which didn’t exist until the solution was fitted! :laugh:

Top Bottom