Easy wheel extention bar for Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I’m tempted again
Take it with a grain of salt, because the usefulness of this accessory really depends from your bike and needs. It was originally invented in 2013 by a small business from Italy, Addingsolutions under the name Eazygoing and sold via their webshop in two versions: A stainless steel one at around 100€ and a lighter titanium one at around 140€ (if I remember correctly, maybe it was even 190€). It was basically their only product. They failed to get market traction and the Eazygoing kept being almost unknown, barely available and possibly barely sold.

Not too much later, already in 2014, probably only one year after Addinsolutions entering the market with their product, a taiwanese company, Bikefun, started to sell a 100% shameless aluminium clone of the product on their webpage. Shameless in the sense that they even frankly admitted on their webpage having copied the original. Quote:

The concept were from www.addingsolutions.it/.
The cost of the bar was 96 EUR. BIKEfun found out that the product could be improved both on weight and price. After months of testing with our CNC factory partner, BIKEfun made our own product with better quality and with lower price.

The aluminium version was sold around 100€, so not really cheaper. Addingsolutions silently went out of business in around spring 2016 while Bikefun kept selling it's copy.
The webpage of bikefun has since then changed massively from a small Brompton accessory shop to something bigger and somewhat different but they still do offer the product: https://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21402187381940 (just that they no longer admit that they stole the product from someone else)

Only a couple of months ago a myriad of copies of that copy suddenly popped up on amazon and ebay for around 30€. Somebody seems to have recognized the bikefun thingy, copied it, scaled up a cheap production run and and is flooding the market with copied under different names with no relation to the original inventor. So what you buy today is a clone of a clone - a typical sad story of stealing other people's ideas.

I had been curious about this thingy already for a long time but failed to order the Addingsolutions one before they went out of business because it seemed interesting but not too important, the more at the relatively steep price of 100€ and w/o ever having seen one. In mid 2016 I was in Barcelona and stumbled upon the owner of a Brompton shop who had one fitted to his personal electrified Brompton to balance out the weight of the battery in the front bag better. He was also selling the Bikefun version in his shop and so after fiddeling around with it I bought one.

I put it on one of my Bromptons and while it clearly gave more side stability when rolling it quickly turned out that there are some massive downsides that for me overruled the advantages by far. I did a write-up in autumn 2016 including pics. The text part is in German but Google translate will probably be able to give you an idea of the content:
http://www.bromptonauten.de/phorum3/read.php?1,29861,29861#msg-29861

In short: On a Brompton w/o rack in day to day use the thing proved to be far more annoying than useful and as a consequence I removed it after a short while and it has been sitting in the parts repository for a long time since then. On a bike with rack the side stability when rolling is much less of an issue (though it still is to a degree) and I did not try it out there. Last winter I was tinkering with a Brompton project which had one of those mini-racks from Asia and mounted it onto this bike. In this combination it worked pretty well and was (in opposite to the situation on the L-Brompton) not in the way and not annoying. Clearly not necessary and in my eyes not worth the 100€ I paid for it but at least it worked and added a bit of a benefit (along with a bit of weight).

With the situation now where the thingy dropped in price to way less than a third of what I paid it may be of interest albeit not necessary - but only for a bike with a rack. And only if in the process of cloning the clone product they did not miss on build quality or construction details (both of which I don't know). Apart from the fact that I personally do not like the idea to buy from thieves of intellectual property (which in this special case is mildered by the fact that the original inventor has gone out of business already years ago and the product that has been cloned here has been a clone itself...).

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Thanks @berlinonaut really useful

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I tend to agree that unauthorised clones (where the original is still in patent*) are a Bad Thing. I'm less fussed when the original has bad flaws that the clone fixes.

*the Brompton design is years out of patent and their lawyers use copyright instead, so you can't make something that looks or folds like a Brompton, with a curved main tube and a wheel that tucks under it, etc. This may hold back development of the folding bike market for years to come.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I tend to agree that unauthorised clones (where the original is still in patent*) are a Bad Thing. I'm less fussed when the original has bad flaws that the clone fixes.
I doubt that the Addingsolutions guys filed a patent for the Eazygoing but I don't know. Still, a lot of thinking and innovation power went into this (and probably money as well) and it is obviously pretty unique. The Bikefun thing was looking like a 1:1 copy with no difference whatsoever apart from being made from Aluminium instead of steel and titanium. So they were basically offering the weight of the titanium version at the price of the steel version by a swap of materials and taking advantage of cheap labor cost in Asia instead of high labor cost in Italy (plus obviously saving close to 100% of development cost and R&D as they simply copied the finished product). I know one person who owns the original from Addingsolutions, he is happy with it and did not mention any flaws - so I'd assume the Bikefun one did not fix any but was a simple theft of other people's innovation.
*the Brompton design is years out of patent and their lawyers use copyright instead, so you can't make something that looks or folds like a Brompton, with a curved main tube and a wheel that tucks under it, etc. This may hold back development of the folding bike market for years to come.
Not really. Brompton tried to sue Dahon for their Brompton-clone Curl when it was shown at a bike fair in Europe in court and failed spectacularly. Folding under rear wheels are common and not a Brompton spciality, so no problem at all. What is protected to a degree is the overall shape and look as a design pattern as intellectual property as it creates the product and the brand. While the Curl seems to be different enough in the opinion of the court Brompton succeeded with this approach in the 2000s against companies selling direct clones labeled Merc, Flamingo and so on in Europe. The tragedy is that those clones are a direct outcome of the license contract that Brompton had from the early nineties to the early 2000s with an Asian company to scale up production and serve the Asian market. This company continued producing the bikes under their own name after the end of the contract and today you have a bunch of those under different brands and names, all manufactured and sold in Asia and the Pacific region. The problem with China is that they seem to have a totally different understanding of copyright, the system of justice is difficult and the whole thing is a bit of a Hydra - if you stop one manufacturer with a lot of effort and time involved five other ones will already have popped up in the meantime doing the same thing. A fight that you cannot win as a small European company.
Landrover did btw. use the same approach against the Chinese company Landwind who copied their Discovery model (and Landrover succeeded).
The Brompton clones are still widely available under different names, just that they desperately avoid to sell them in Europe. You can guess why...

Last edited:

roley poley

Über Member
They are quite sturdy and stable for a push round a pan flat airport or station platform for a bit but you wont see me in a supermarket loading it up with shopping as some have suggested they can be used for and will always remove the front bag on folding as I feel the load is too much... NOT to be used in my opinion as in
WIN_20200508_11_16_09_Pro.jpg
my picture.... p.s .I have just rubbed a bit of proofide In the saddle and don't ride it at that angle will reset it later

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The word is that the Merc (a Brompton clone) is actually pretty good once you've addressed the slipping seatpost. Hard to find one for sale, as I think even s/h adverts are stamped out by Brompton's lawyers.

berlinonaut

Veteran
The word is that the Merc (a Brompton clone) is actually pretty good once you've addressed the slipping seatpost. Hard to find one for sale, as I think even s/h adverts are stamped out by Brompton's lawyers.
We are getting way OT here but maybe a last bit: I think there is a bit of rumor involved here. The Merc, being a direct derivate from Brompton's license to Neobike and the first generation of unlicensed copies, had an aluminium frame. For that reason some people claimed it would be lighter and many years ago one of the first light and beautiful Brompton customizations that got a bit of fame on the internet was made by a guy named "littlepixel" and based on a Merc frame which he choose because it was cheaper and possibly lighter. This may have added to the rumors. Personally I've never seen a Merc in reality but done some research about the clones a while ago and seen a couple of other clones. They are all based on the Brompton Mk2 design with the shorter frame, the old hinges (or using different hinges on some newer models) and a lot of simpler and cheaper parts. The Asian licensed Bromptons have been way cheaper than the British ones and this has been partly achieved by simplification and cheaper parts. So the unlicensed clones resulsting from this unfortunate Neobike episode are based on a now 30 year old state of the Brompton development that is outdated on the original for 20 years. To produce even cheaper the makers have taken a lot of shortcuts on their bikes, leading to useless braze-ons or questionable designs - a clear sign that they have no clue of what they are doing. A side by side comparison shows a lot of them. Plus at least some of the (licensed and unlicensed) clones are smaller as they are targeted at the Asian market (shorter seat post, shorter stem) and early models lack the braze-on for the carrier block.
While some owners swear by their clones a lot seem to face massive disappointment when it comes to quality, even before comparing with a genuine Brompton. There's always someone who can produce something a little bit cheaper and a little bit worse...

While the Merc may have been an interesting alternative to the MK2 (already with some downsides towards the original) 15 years ago with the main advantage of being cheaper todays Bromptons are probably way ahead.

shingwell

I too have an electrified Brompton (https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/variation-on-a-nano-conversion.251868/). In my case it is the weight of the motor in the front wheel that unbalanced it a bit when folded (even more than it is normally :rolleyes:). It will stand up ok with normal Easy Wheels, but the extending wheel just makes it a bit more stable.

I went on holiday with it last year with fully loaded T-bag, it was fine being pushed around in "shopping trolly" mode, but you do need to keep an eye on the extended wheel because it can start to self-retract occasionally. It would be nice if it had a positive locking mechanism when extended, but it is usable as it is, and is quick and simple to use. Mostly I use it just to add stability when left folded, the bike fits fine in my Carradice bag with the wheel extended.

jay clock

Massive member
OK, back to the topic. I moaned at the seller who pretty rapidly refunded the £12.11 fees. It arrived today. Fitting in a minute

Looks nice quality. Not able to pull the slider out without fitting the wheels and then you realise you have to remove them to fit to bike.

Will update you!

roley poley

Über Member
OK, back to the topic. I moaned at the seller who pretty rapidly refunded the £12.11 fees. It arrived today. Fitting in a minute

Looks nice quality. Not able to pull the slider out without fitting the wheels and then you realise you have to remove them to fit to bike.

Will update you!
yep couldn't tell which side extended and had to pull at each end with pliers to see which way it mounted and then begger me still fitted it wrong way

Top Bottom