Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Nice Dawes, Galaxy variant I would guess with nice seat stays, Haden Lugs, extra points on front dropouts for a front rack :smile:

Boopop

Guru
Any idea what year it might be? My dad lives very close to where the Eroica festival is held in Derbyshire and whichever bike I buy would have to be eligible for that. Thanks :smile:

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I’m not clued up on Dawes, but for Eroica it needs to be steel, have external brake cables on handlebar, downtube shifters, and pre 1987. This bike ticks all those boxes.
531 tubing, Suntour derailleurs, alloy wheels with nice high flange hubs etc.
Cheap at 50 quid in my opinion, so don’t dither too long.

nonowt

Über Member
Looks like a c1984 Dawes Galaxy in Indiana Red with original spec. Interesting that it still has 27" rims with high-flange hubs and over the bb cable routing that far into the 80's.

http://veterancycleclublibrary.org.uk/ncl/pics/Dawes catalogue 1984 (V-CC Library).pdf

50 quid is definitely a good price. My only concern would be what might be happening to the frame under that clamp-on lock carrying thing and whether that mossy stem was stuck. Worth the risk, I think.

Boopop

Guru
Thanks for the help all. I am rather tempted by it, struggling to decide. I've messaged him about measuring the BB to seatpost clamp and also whether he knows what's going on on the other side of the lock carrier.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Got it for £35. Shame it'll cost me £21 to get there. Any tips on where to start on restoring it? Other than the handlebar tape and a wash mind, that'll be easy :smile:
Nice one
I'd give it a dust, and check the wheels sre round. If so, I'd stick some tyres and tubes on and let it tell you what it needs.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Got it for £35. Shame it'll cost me £21 to get there. Any tips on where to start on restoring it? Other than the handlebar tape and a wash mind, that'll be easy :smile:

As others say give it wipe down , blow the tyres up , remove the clutter and ride it and like @gaijintendo says the bike will tell you what it needs to a degree .
I would start at making it safe to ride ie cables , tyres if needed and then work your way around it cleaning and greasing all the bearings and go from there and well done

Top Bottom