Ebay and auction watch: let us know if you see something

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Good afternoon,

Wow! Especially with £3.95 postage

But having had a bike nicked recently https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/norco-pinched-just-in-case-anyone-sees-it-on-ebay-etc.284440/

I would be relectutant to buy from someone with zero sales on ebay,

Mens touring bicycle, Raleigh Royal. The bike is in good condition and has only used for light riding. The bike will only be sold to buyers who come to collect the bicycle and pay cash.

When buying on eBay there is a responsibility on the buyer especially when offered a hard to understand price (£70 BIN) as eBay's official position is

View attachment 652152
Bye

Ian

Thanks Ian - tbh I'd not considered that possibility and the zero feedback is certainly a bit of a worry from that perspective; although I can appreciate the potential legitimacy in cash on collection since ebay's payment system is nasty and it's realistically unlikely to be post-able - especially for £3.95!

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
A seemingly beautiful example of a small-framed late-spec Raleigh Royal in Sandbach, Cheshire on ebay currently - it's only £70 BIN but muppets are bidding..

Were that my size and closer I'd be all over it for less than a tank of fuel - somebody local who'll look after and enjoy it get it bought please!

View attachment 652071

Someone saw sense and paid the BIN. If I hadn't depleted my bike funds I would have gone for this, I'm on the look out for a nice touring frame.

wafter

Interesting Raleigh with mudguard provision and Capella lugs.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175352901989?hash=item28d3d8f165:g:zQMAAOSwaINiwzFi
Interesting indeed, but seemingly very strong money for what it is..

I've been sat on this Grupetto CS Maggiore for a day or so - admittedly a modern frame but still lugged steel with a retro aesthetic. On the face of it very interesting, however the net has yielded little information while their website looks a bit squiffy and doesn't breed confidence - for example the Columbus steel type they refer to for the build isn't actually anything they supply and simply Italian for "Steel" so could just be columbus-branded gas pipe :whistle:

Too much of a gamble for me but it does look nice and someone obviously through highly enough of it to hang plenty of Dura Ace (anniversary!) bits off it. Currently at £200 with 4hrs left; probably worth more than that just for the components. Will be interesting to see what it goes for..

midlife

Guru
Sure is an odd one, shame no SBDU number. Points have been cut off the lugs which were on early 531 frames. Usually the early frames have fluted stays and this has oversized seat caps.

Gunk

Guru
Interesting indeed, but seemingly very strong money for what it is..

I've been sat on this Grupetto CS Maggiore for a day or so - admittedly a modern frame but still lugged steel with a retro aesthetic. On the face of it very interesting, however the net has yielded little information while their website looks a bit squiffy and doesn't breed confidence - for example the Columbus steel type they refer to for the build isn't actually anything they supply and simply Italian for "Steel" so could just be columbus-branded gas pipe :whistle:

Too much of a gamble for me but it does look nice and someone obviously through highly enough of it to hang plenty of Dura Ace (anniversary!) bits off it. Currently at £200 with 4hrs left; probably worth more than that just for the components. Will be interesting to see what it goes for..

If that had been a 52cms frame I’d have had a punt, lovely bike!

wafter

If that had been a 52cms frame I’d have had a punt, lovely bike!

Yeah, certainly looks nice. A similar one sold recently for £800+ and that had a lovely burgundy / creame finish - I think it's the actual one that's illustrated on their website. Can't shake the idea that the whole company is a bunch of marketing-led profiteers trading off Italian heritage for what could be a pretty ordinary frame mind..

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
There's also this Thorn Audax in Matlock for £122 with 6hrs left - looks like a nice utility package - 8sp cassette with STIs and seemingly every type of tubing Reynolds have ever offered incorporated into the frame. Would be all over it as a shopper were it closer tbh.

I'm taking a punt on that, it's actually owned by the guy who reviewed it for the CTC back in the 90s and he bought it as he liked it so much. Will certainly be an upgrade to my Reynolds 500 frame.

Top Bottom