EDF Energy couldn't run an excessive alcohol event in a home of making beer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User33236

I have recently moved to a new home in Edinburgh and am having 'issues' with gas supply.

The property was previously rented and has pre-pay gas and electric meters fitted. I checked the serial numbers on both meter and contacted the relevant bodies to find out who currently provides the services. The electricity meter was a match for EDF but the gas meter was not registered on the national database. I therefore contacted EDF first who claimed to supply both gas and electricity but did not recognise the gas meter serial number and had a credit meter recordeed at the premises. I photographed the meter and sent a copy to them as requested.

Fast forward two weeks and I still cannot topup the gas meter or change supplier or get EDF to replace the meter with a credit one (as their own records show a credit meter fitted). Not can I ask for smart meters as they are not deploying them in my area yet.

So heading into winter I cannot heat my home or cook food unless in the microwave or, thankfully, electric ovens.

Anyone else exerienced similar issues with the national database being wrong?

screenman

Legendary Member
Stop messing with unhelpful people, send a recorded delivery letter to the chairman, writing the words chairmans/chairwoman complaint on both the envelope and the letter. Works every time for me and people on whose behalf I have done it.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Stop messing with unhelpful people, send a recorded delivery letter to the chairman, writing the words chairmans/chairwoman complaint on both the envelope and the letter. Works every time for me and people on whose behalf I have done it.
Have written (similar to what you stated), emailed, web chatted, contacted via Twitter, telephoned and even went into a shop and deliberately created a scene. All seem to have fallen on deaf ears.

The Energy Ombudsman wasn’t even intended as it’s ‘only been two weeks’.

My latest threat to bypass the meter myself seems to be the thing they have taken remotely seriously so far.

I can only hope that a bombardment will eventually reach someone who takes the issue seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:

screenman

Legendary Member
When I built this house we got one has bill and then no more for three years, despite me chasing British Gas (I think) after this time they got on the phone demanding payment, did you know that if they do not bill you then you are only liable for the last year.

Seems, and this is true, they were sending the bills for my humble abode to their own H Q for some reason and nobody flagged it up.

D

Deleted member 1258

Yes when we moved in here about nine years ago. We had prepayment meters in here and I wanted to go over to a quarterly bill, now the electric was fine, it was down as a prepayment meter and they changed it quite quickly, the gas was another story, they had it down as a quarterly meter and no amount of phone calls could convince them otherwise, eventually after many months and many phone calls they changed the meter, I cant remember what convinced them. I think we were with N Power at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
U

User33236

When I built this house we got one has bill and then no more for three years, despite me chasing British Gas (I think) after this time they got on the phone demanding payment, did you know that if they do not bill you then you are only liable for the last year.

Seems, and this is true, they were sending the bills for my humble abode to their own H Q for some reason and nobody flagged it up.
Problem I have is that it's a prepayment meter and despite offering money to pay for gas EDF cant set up a method of me paying without me making a 810mile round trip. So in the very near future I am going to be without a gas supply.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Yes when we moved in here about nine years ago. We had prepayment meters in here and I wanted to go over to a quarterly bill, now the electric was fine, it was down as a prepayment meter and they changed it quite quickly, the gas was another story, they had it down as a quarterly meter and no amount of phone calls could convince them otherwise, eventually after many months and many phone calls they changed the meter, I cant remember what convinced them. I think we were with N Power at the time.
I have had an engineer and a meter reader visit the property who both have reported back the new meter details, along with photographs, and still they insist its a credit meter. I have no idea what it will take to convince them.

screenman

Legendary Member
Problem I have is that it's a prepayment meter and despite offering money to pay for gas EDF cant set up a method of me paying without me making a 810mile round trip. So in the very near future I am going to be without a gas supply.

What was the chairman's reply?

screenman

Legendary Member
I have had an engineer and a meter reader visit the property who both have reported back the new meter details, along with photographs, and still they insist its a credit meter. I have no idea what it will take to convince them.

You just have to get higher up the company.

Top Bottom