Elderley people you know.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
We have been friends with a family for some 45+ years. MrsD regularly visits the "mother" (remember we have known her 45 years).
We got a phone call earlier to say her SEVENTY NINE YEAR OLD DAUGHTER has passed away.
This lady is 99 years old and sharp**.
Sad really. In the last year she has lost 2 children in their 70s and a SiL.
**she has lots of problems but her brain is razor sharp.

Drago

Legendary Member
Dave7. He smells of cabbage and has a bit of an incontinence problem, his false teeth fall out at inopportune moments, and he makes Alf Garnett appear politically correct, but other than that he's a lovable old rogue.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
We collected my wife's 90 year old Uncle Brian from Nottingham and took him down to Devon for a wedding last September. He managed the journey there and back and four nights in hotels really well. On the day of the wedding, I had to drag myself out of my hotel bed to answer the door, and it was Brian wanting to go to breakfast .... half an hour early and already fully dressed in his finest suit and tie.

After the wedding, there was a huge party all afternoon, with a barbecue, skittles, a wedding singer and a disco. Due to the risk of him falling over, I treated him a bit like Private Ryan (never more than two yards from me, and that's not negotiable) for the whole afternoon. I caught him a couple of times when he was a bit wobbly, so it was the right thing to do .... but he threw himself into it 100%. He played skittles, made lots of friends, sang along to 80s and 90s pop songs, sank at least 6 pints of beer and a glass of bubbly and had the entire party chanting his name as he hit the dance floor with two young ladies. Never underestimate an old guy.

We have since had all sorts of trouble with his county council and his health service during a period of illness, and it is quite tragic how paltry the services are for the elderly in his area. Fortunately, he seems to have fully recovered and is now getting out and about as before and is a regular at his local pub once more. He is actually my wife's uncle, but I just think of him as my own "Uncle Brian". In this shot from the wedding, you'd never guess he was over 30 years older than me!! (He's the one without the white beard!:blush:).

Before anyone asks, I think my nephew might have been being playfully attacked by a dog outside the marquee at the time!!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
We collected my wife's 90 year old Uncle Brian from Nottingham and took him down to Devon for a wedding last September. He managed the journey there and back and four nights in hotels really well. On the day of the wedding, I had to drag myself out of my hotel bed to answer the door, and it was Brian wanting to go to breakfast .... half an hour early and already fully dressed in his finest suit and tie.

After the wedding, there was a huge party all afternoon, with a barbecue, skittles, a wedding singer and a disco. Due to the risk of him falling over, I treated him a bit like Private Ryan (never more than two yards from me, and that's not negotiable) for the whole afternoon. I caught him a couple of times when he was a bit wobbly, so it was the right thing to do .... but he threw himself into it 100%. He played skittles, made lots of friends, sang along to 80s and 90s pop songs, sank at least 6 pints of beer and a glass of bubbly and had the entire party chanting his name as he hit the dance floor with two young ladies. Never underestimate an old guy.

We have since had all sorts of trouble with his county council and his health service during a period of illness, and it is quite tragic how paltry the services are for the elderly in his area. Fortunately, he seems to have fully recovered and is now getting out and about as before and is a regular at his local pub once more. He is actually my wife's uncle, but I just think of him as my own "Uncle Brian". In this shot from the wedding, you'd never guess he was over 30 years older than me!! (He's the one without the white beard!:blush:).

View attachment 502625
Before anyone asks, I think my nephew might have been being playfully attacked by a dog outside the marquee at the time!!
Lovely that.
My wifes aunty is 94, getting frail but makes her way to the shops even in this weather.
Maybe she should meet your uncle ^_^

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Lovely that.
My wifes aunty is 94, getting frail but makes her way to the shops even in this weather.
Maybe she should meet your uncle ^_^
Oh no, don't say that. He has to fight off the women in his sheltered housing block ..... often sneaks down the stairs to avoid the lifts and communal areas! A couple of ladies are trying to set him up with their mothers!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My mum is 98 years old and still has all her marbles. She may not be as spritely as she was but god help anyone who tries to treat her like a doddery old fool. Stupid she ain't. :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There is hope for all of us though ... A friend of my sister is 103 and recently went from Coventry to Birmingham with her by bus on a shopping trip. She plays the piano for old folks 20+ years younger than her!
The old woman has now died after breaking a hip in a fall, but she had good long life and was active and cheerful well beyond 100, which was pretty fantastic!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
My last surviving grandparent is my mums mum. 89 years young and still takes holidays in Spain, Mexico etc. Her last one was in Greece last November.
Mum took a video of her last week and in true nutty Grandma style, said,
"I know many of of you are laughing at me behind my back and I'll tell you this now, you can all f**k off".
We were in hysterics! She's never swore in her life till then.

A couple years younger at 78 is my fiancee's dad.
A miserable old git, but still rides his pushbike to the pub every week and somehow rides back, not always successfully :laugh:
Still rides a big ass heavy motorbike to pick up her son from school sometimes. We even caught him on the house roof a few months ago clearing the gutters!
I think he's indestructible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom