Elderley people you know.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
My FinL passed on monday aged 99, all his original neighbours are gone in the cul-de-sac.
He survived all his siblings by a good few yrs.

We have 18 residents at my work in their mid to late 90s and one who just get a card from the Queen.
Amazing how many are in good mental health, we have a few 20-30 yrs younger who are not so lucky.

ozboz

Guru
The old woman has now died after breaking a hip in a fall, but she had good long life and was active and cheerful well beyond 100, which was pretty fantastic!
That’s a nice story , my GF’s Granma died after a fall, I’ve heard this quite a lot about falls leading to a person passing away , i think I will try and find out more ,

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Just realised I do know somebody older than myself. Age about 90 I think with angina. He drives a long wheelbase Transit every week on a ferry trip to Oban. If you have ever seen “ American Pickers” on tv his sheds rival anything on there. We exchange rubbish regularly but I got a couple of good bikes from him in exchange for a reversing camera for his van. He is currently refurbishing one of my old boats but I doubt if he will sail it. He will probably turn up one day and expect me to help launching it.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My Gran is 97, she is an inspiration to us all. For the last 10 years she's been nearly blind, and quite deaf, but she's always up for a family gathering or a good meal out. She's always saying how lucky she is to have her family around her (4 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren). She lost her husband 20 years ago but remained strong and has an incredibly good outlook on life. She is so open minded, which she says is because of her being sent away to the war (to train as a nurse) age 17. I think she is ready to go fairly soon, by the things she says, but she has had a brilliant life and is very grateful for everything.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My own Mum, aged 90 this year and as fit as a butcher's dog... lead a local Ramblers' group until last year when she got fed up with organising the walks, still walks vigorously twice a week though a bit slower up hills, goes to the gym and does weights once a week - as a retired physio she knows about bone density. Sings in two choirs including in the local cathedral, works once a week at the town's museum. Last summer I was at her house with assorted nieces and nephews and her mobile rang. She picked it up, looked at it, frowned, took the call, listened intently then in an imperious BBC accent said "fark orf!" and rang off. Everybody was in stitches.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
On the reverse......I didn't really know any of my grandparents.
I recall my Dads mum when I was may 8 yrs old.
I think people of that generation, in general, lived shorter lives than today's generation.
I am aged 73 (next month) and our grandaughter is nearly 17. Her and her 2 older brothers have always been close to us although since they moved house we don't see them much.
Maybe in 30 years they will be posting on CC about me!!!......now that would be worth reading^_^

D

Deleted member 26715

My uncle is 90 & my father is 95, they went to Cyprus on holiday together last September (I think it was) unchaperoned

ozboz

Guru
This is more of an elderly Bloke I sat next to on a flight from Manchester to Alicante in 2003 , I thought he was with a family who were sat all around us on that part of the plane , half way through the flight he excused me on toddled off to the toilets , he didn’t reappear after about 1/2 an hour , I mentioned to the family that their Granddad hadn’t returned, it wasn’t their Grandad , so I told the hostess he had disappeared , she went off , a few minutes later he returned an thanked me for my concern , he said he was 94 and his hands were not strong enough to undo the lock on the floor of WC , so then he told me he was off to Benidorm and other places , then he tells me he had actually transferred from a Las Vegas flight where he had been living it up for two months so he could go to Benidorm for Christmas to part on !!
What a Trooper !!!!!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
My last surviving grandparent is my mums mum. 89 years young and still takes holidays in Spain, Mexico etc. Her last one was in Greece last November.
Mum took a video of her last week and in true nutty Grandma style, said,
"I know many of of you are laughing at me behind my back and I'll tell you this now, you can all f**k off".

We were in hysterics! She's never swore in her life till then.
What you mean is.......you have never heard her swear:rolleyes:.
MrsDs mum was very god fearing and 'never' swore. When dimentia set it....we got a real education as all the swear words she learned as a teenager spilled out, sometimes in very public places.
One time, in a lift (she was in a wheelchair) there was us three and an elderly chap. MiL suddenly said "I bet he's got a whopper" and tried to grab his nuts. Poor guy nearly had a heart attack.

Last edited:

Oldbloke

Guru
My uncle, now aged 91, was diagnosed with terminal cancer 20 years ago and was expected to live 1-2 years. He was taken into hospital late 2018, very sick.
He was told that his body was closing down and asked if he preferred to return home to die; he was taken home and given daytime nursing support. Late in 2019, still alive and with his "marbles" he was visited by a health service representative to be told that as he had lived longer than expected, he was being retrospectively charged for nursing support!

Still going strong today....

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
That’s a nice story , my GF’s Granma died after a fall, I’ve heard this quite a lot about falls leading to a person passing away , i think I will try and find out more ,

A fall is indeed often a poor prognostic indicator for an older frail person - especially if they sustain a hip fracture. Even if they survive the surgery about 10% will die within a month and about 30% will die within a year.

tyred

Legendary Member
My hospital consultant friend once told me about treating a woman in her very late 70s who arrived in hospital with a serious kidney infection, high fever and delirious because of it. A few days later she was much better and told my friend that she was looking forward to her Dad coming to see her as he always brought her jelly babies. My friend took her temperature again which was now normal and was standing pondering the question of whether her mental state was this the results of the medication, the after-effects of the infection or did it need further investigation when a very old but sprightly man walked into the ward carrying a bag of jelly babies. It turned out to be her 103 year father!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I recall looking after a 72 year old chap on my ward who had been brought into hospital because there was nowhere else for him to go when his carer was taken ill having had a heart attack. His carer was also admitted to my ward and was his 97 year old father. They were both discharged home about 10 days later.

Top Bottom