Elderley people you know.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Late in 2019, still alive and with his "marbles" he was visited by a health service representative to be told that as he had lived longer than expected, he was being retrospectively charged for nursing support!
Still going strong today....
Please tell me that is not true and there is a joke I am missing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So long as you are in reasonable health approaching these ages it must be fabulous. MIL's not showing any sign's of popping off, she's about 84, but she's been 'ill' for the last 15 years (heart attack, stroke, heart failure). I couldn't imagine looking after a parent, when I was well into retirement myself. She 'forgets' two of her daughters are nearly 60.

fossyant

A fall is indeed often a poor prognostic indicator for an older frail person - especially if they sustain a hip fracture. Even if they survive the surgery about 10% will die within a month and about 30% will die within a year.

Falls do have quite serious effects on older people. MIL had a fall, just toppled over. My word you should have seen the bruising - mainly as a result of poor circulation and warfarin. One or two bruises looked like 'burns' - i.e. full of liquid. These developed into an abcess that took weekly dressing for over two years before they got rid of them - she still has to wear a compression dressing as her skin is so frail. We've nearly lost her a couple of times after falls. Chest infections as a result of not moving that are made worse with heart faulure. Pneumonia is common.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
My mum's 87 and well known in the village for her long walks early each morning finishing with a sit down outside the local 8-til-late shop waiting for it to open.

gbb

Legendary Member
Mum is a week or so off 90 and has mixed fortunes. She lives independently still so that's good although she does fall occasionally and sometimes lacks the strength to get herself up
Ricketts as a child has left her legs weak so she relys on a walker all the time in the house, a buggy outside. Mentally, she is remarkably switched on, swaps her electric and gas, manages the bank, all the background stuff, yet sometimes when talking, it's like she is a sentence behind, often breaking the flow of a conversation. Not a complaint, just a fact, I think she needs more time to think and consider than she used to, no wonder mind.

An old friend of ours is mid 80s I think and strong as an ox, mentally very strong but physically deteriorating a bit, but not bad considering. We've been friends for maybe 30 years, the sad thing is her husband died last year leaving her 2 with now grown up grandkids, an utter disgrace the way they treat her. They gave everything to look after them as kids,got precious little help from the DHSS, he surrendered his pensions and effectively paid interest only on the house to pay for their upkeep, sold themselves down the swanny for the gkids...and they dont appreciate it one little bit.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
There is something somewhere about if you survive to a certain age your likely to go in for another decade. Basically if you get past the usual cause if death in 60/70/80’s you’ll carry on into your 90’s.

The falling over thing is important and another reason I want to keep active and keep the muscles strong.

pjd57

Veteran
There's a couple of guys who sit near me at the football.
Similar age to me ; 60ish.
They both still come with their dads.

All the generation above me have gone, except one aunt who is nearly 90.

There are 15 first cousins of my generation and if I survive my aunt I will be the oldest person in my family :ohmy:.

This seniority will give me no more respect from my cousins, or my children. :sad:

My other main hobby is Latin Ballroom Dancing and meet a lot of "oldies" socially. It is not un-common to see some really good dancing by people up to their 70's after that their style tends to wane to rhythmic shuffling . However at a dance I go to in Chelmsford sometimes, I saw a guy I assumed to be late 60's with a woman probably in her forties dancing. He had the best Waltz and Foxtrot in the place and his Quickstep was still full of energy. I went outside for a vape and he turned up and he was smoking roll ups. When I went back inside I expressed my suprise to one of the regulars at his smoking, then I was more suprised to find out the guy was 90!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
There is something somewhere about if you survive to a certain age your likely to go in for another decade. Basically if you get past the usual cause if death in 60/70/80’s you’ll carry on into your 90’s.

The falling over thing is important and another reason I want to keep active and keep the muscles strong.
I wont tell MrsD that.
If she thought she would have to put up with me till our 90s she would not be happy:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
All the generation above me have gone, except one aunt who is nearly 90.

There are 15 first cousins of my generation and if I survive my aunt I will be the oldest person in my family :ohmy:.

This seniority will give me no more respect from my cousins, or my children. :sad:
At least you will know that every relative refers to you as 'that old fart':rolleyes:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My dad's auntie Cis lasted until she was 103. She lived on her own after Uncle George died and had helpers coming in once a day, but she could have easily coped without them.

One story that will always stick in my mind is when my Mum told me that Uncle George and Auntie Cis (both about 85 at the time) had laid a new driveway. I was fairly disinterested until Mum pointed out that they'd not had a new driveway laid, they'd laid it themselves! :notworthy:

fossyant

My MIL still goes on about birthdays of people who are dead. She said, oh my mum would be 104 today. Erm nope, she died 30 years or more ago.:blush:

Top Bottom