Electric bike decision made - with a heavy heart.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm looking forward to read all about your first electric ride, Sara!

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
The thing I'm looking forward to is, being able to keep up with my son up the hill! I'm certain I've got the next Bradley Wiggins on my hands, and he loves climbing hills (wierdo).
He ususally powers off and waits for me at the top. Can't wait to see his face when I keep up with him!

My wife is a keen cyclist, but due to dodgy knees is now on an electric trike (knees cannot weightbear suficiently to safely stop on two wheels)

We went for a BIonx system, as it responds to your input and you can then dial up asist (25% / 50% / 100% / 200%) it then adds to what you are doing. No cycling input and no power assist!

It was more like cyclingthat an bike with a throttle that you could stop pedalling on and ride "moped like"

This meant that she can pedal normally when she feels good, or can boost for a hill or at the end of the day when she is tired and weary. It also enables her to carry luggage.

Whatever you choose remember it has two wheels, a chain and pedals......... so it is a bike!

Speicher

Vice Admiral
@Sara H

This has been shown before, but seems appropriate here. ^_^

Crankarm

Guru
So, after much cogitation I've decided to purchase an electric bike. Test rode a couple last weekend.

I haven't been able to ride in a useful way since my near death experience in December, and as someone who previously rode everywhere, its been a bit depressing.

So, hopefully I'll be able to get out and about properly. And I'm hoping to get back to work in a few weeks, which relies on me biking really.

Why the heavy heart? Well, I've always had a real sense of achievement when arriving somewhere under my own steam. Electric assist feels like cheating. And, even though I keep telling myself that this is just to keep me going until I return to full strength, I suspect that I may never look back (the hill I live on has always been my nemesis).

So unusual to be getting a new bike and feeling tinged with sadness. Bike buying is usually the highlight of the decade!

There's a guy who cycles the GBW on an electric bike. I hate him as he gets me every time as I think he's a normal cyclist in the distance. No one likes to be scalped so swiftly so I half kill myself to try to prevent him catching me or if he is in front of me half killing myself again not to be left for dust. When he passes me he's gently spinning with a serene crazed look on his face. B****d! Electric bikes are cheating IMHO, but in your situation if it's the difference between cycling any bike or not then obviously you are going to go electric. Shocking.

Top Bottom