Electric bike decision made - with a heavy heart.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Sounds good - I am tempted..... I get passed by so many on hills because I've always been slow on them but recently it's been getting ridiculous. I worry whether I would become lazy ... which I don't want - I want to put in some effort AND also manage to travel at a reasonable speed.
Well, I've struggled to come to terms with going electric. But the OH convinced me when he made the point that ill cycle more as a result of it being easier, and the fact of cycling more will negate the fact of making less effort.

Clear as mud? Convinced me anyway!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You now have a motorised vehicle Sara. Shouldn't you be paying road tax and insurance(?):rolleyes:

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
An article on electric bike use, interesting comments that you don't stay as warm. However the picture of the Chinese lady shows the type of bike I wouldn't want - she obviously isn't pedaling at all.
My bike has a throttle so you can ride without peddaling. I used it to get me going up the big hill. You can still pedal when using the throttle, but you don't have to.
When I rode it up my big hill yesterday I was amazed, because what usually is a twenty minute walk uphill I zoomed up in a few minutes. I don't know what speed I was doing as I hadn't set my tracker, but I was laughing my head off all the way up. I wonder if the local community will get used to me maniacally laughing my head off when I'm zooming uphills on my bike?
If you're in sunny Sheffield come round for a joy ride and a slice of cake.

On days when I'm lacking energy I dream of an electric bike. I was so tired at the end of my journey that I put my head down on my pannier on Thursday and almost cried and couldn't be bothered to find my keys to let myself in for a few moments - I had got to the point where I was going at 4mph on the flat. I know it was a horribly cold headwind but I was feeling so delusioned with cycling at that moment. I was already booking in for a blood test on Friday so I'm hoping it will pick up what the problem is (or that the weather improves). I was actually imagining pushing someone off their electric bike to steal it as I rode along!

So I will be interested to see what you end up getting.
You need some summer days.

An article on electric bike use, interesting comments that you don't stay as warm. However the picture of the Chinese lady shows the type of bike I wouldn't want - she obviously isn't pedaling at all.
That is the lazy way!

Seriously though, there are two types, one where the motor is throttle driven and once moving does not ned pedalling, the other reaxcts to pedalling and subsidises, however no pedalling means no subsidy!

The latter enables the rider to maintain a level of finess / subsidy more easily

markharry66

Über Member
Having recently learnt whatTMN points are, I award you with some!
sorry not been around last few weeks thank you hope it was helpful what is TMN points ?

markharry66

Über Member
Sarah this might help if you get any problems with bike http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forum.php I used to use it when I had one. Glad you like the electric bike they are impressive even if I no longer have one myself I still crave one. Your speed on the flat will probably be 15 miles an hour top whack as thats the legal limit set in uk for road use.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
All very interesting. And the blood test is back - so lowish iron (again!).
Meet you in the gardening forum, where we can discuss home grown iron rich vegetables, the effect of late snow on perennial spinach (:cry:) and the topic "iron in broccoli, myth or truth" :thumbsup:

markharry66

Über Member
slightly old video and the bike would be illegal to use in the uk and well out of the price range of everyone here. But it might be the technology of the future top speed of 50 miles an hour.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Your speed on the flat will probably be 15 miles an hour top whack as thats the legal limit set in uk for road use.

I'm sure Vengy could rattle up some modifications being the resident DI2 expert. 30 mph top speed easy ! ^_^

Don't see many electric bikes but one I saw, the guy was effortlessly pedalling up a long drag (barsteward). It's a bloody slog on a non assisted bike.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Glad it is going well. A while back I saw an cyclist in the distance that was on a Hybrid looking bike full paniers, waterproofs, normal shoes and completely decked out in Hi-Vis. I was gaining on them but was having to put in much more effort than I was predicting. It was about a solid mile slogging type of slow rising gradient. So I caught up and flattened it out to go past, I was about to slow up when alongside to congratualte them on the speed they were keeping up fully loaded on a heavy looking hub gear geared bike when I noiticed a huge battery on the bike! I nearly blerted out "thats cheating" lol.

On the downside I have since seen this cyclist riding on the pavement, and using a bell to clear the stunned people waiting for a bus :-( on the other side of the road so I couldn't tell them just how dangerous I thought it was. They have disspaeared since the Winter started.

I don't thnik there is anything wrong with a bit of battery assistance, I think it is fantastic way of getting you out and about again, I completely agree with your other half, so much better off out doing some pedalling both mentally and physically. (Although I do think that battery assisted should be made to wear a warning on the back of jacket to stop a numpty like me blowing gasket) ^_^

Top Bottom