Electric bike decision made - with a heavy heart.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
So, after much cogitation I've decided to purchase an electric bike. Test rode a couple last weekend.

I haven't been able to ride in a useful way since my near death experience in December, and as someone who previously rode everywhere, its been a bit depressing.

So, hopefully I'll be able to get out and about properly. And I'm hoping to get back to work in a few weeks, which relies on me biking really.

Why the heavy heart? Well, I've always had a real sense of achievement when arriving somewhere under my own steam. Electric assist feels like cheating. And, even though I keep telling myself that this is just to keep me going until I return to full strength, I suspect that I may never look back (the hill I live on has always been my nemesis).

So unusual to be getting a new bike and feeling tinged with sadness. Bike buying is usually the highlight of the decade!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I think it's a good choice and nothing wrong with setting yourself future goals as well, just as long as you don't beat yourself up too much if you don't meet them. It can be very hard to accept not doing something and very foolish to refuse to accept it and make matters worse by over extending.

Instead of thinking of it as a step backwards think of it as a step in the right direction. This will get you out regularly on a bike again. Once you regain the bug that'll hopefully spur you on to tackle your nemesis once again and then onwards to cycling without assist! ^_^

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Good luck with that, Sara.

I had considered the possibility that I might not be able to ride the hills again, but hadn't considered trying an electric bike. The trouble is that they tend to have limited battery life and be heavy so when the batteries go flat, they are much harder to ride on the hills.

I liked the Cannondale that they tested on the Gadget Show a few years ago - link - a limited range but light enough to pedal when the power assistance ran out. Look at the price though! :eek:

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Good luck with that, Sara.

I had considered the possibility that I might not be able to ride the hills again, but hadn't considered trying an electric bike. The trouble is that they tend to have limited battery life and be heavy so when the batteries go flat, they are much harder to ride on the hills.

I liked the Cannondale that they tested on the Gadget Show a few years ago - link - a limited range but light enough to pedal when the power assistance ran out. Look at the price though! :eek:
It's main purpose in life is mainly for commuting (five miles with a big hill) and shopping (two to four miles, with a big hill) so battery life shouldn't be a problem. And at least if there is a problem I'll be close enough from home to walk it back up if the back up team (Mr H) isn't available!

I'm hoping that I'll sell it on in a year or so, but who knows?

If it gets you riding again then go for it, you wont get any criticism from me for "cheating" buy it with happy heart and ride it with pride!

See what facilities are available for you - I know the local bike parking facility I use has charging points (plug sockets to you and me!) for electric bikes.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Thanks for the support chaps.

It'll be lovely getting about by bike again. I'm relying on borrowing the OH's car rathers alot at the minute. The bike ries I've made have either been joy rides round the local park, or three miles down hill on the folder to the train station (when I knew I was getting a lift back!).
Can't wait to zoom up the hill!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Good luck with it Sara. At the end of the day, no matter what type of bikes we all ride, we are still doing something that probably at least 90% of the population aren't doing. We should all be proud of ourselves I think. :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Absolutely no need to beat yourself up over the purchase of an electric bike, Sara!
Don't know of any people that in your situation wouldn't have bought a car instead.
You have been seriously ill and can't wait to commute by bike in all weather?
My helmet off to you! :bravo:
Wait a few months for fitness to return before thinking of attacking hills unaided, eh? :thumbsup:

Top Bottom