Electric bike decision made - with a heavy heart.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
There's a guy who cycles the GBW on an electric bike. I hate him as he gets me every time as I think he's a normal cyclist in the distance. No one likes to be scalped so swiftly so I half kill myself to try to prevent him catching me or if he is in front of me half killing myself again not to be left for dust. When he passes me he's gently spinning with a serene crazed look on his face. B****d! Electric bikes are cheating IMHO, but in your situation if it's the difference between cycling any bike or not then obviously you are going to go electric. Shocking.
So I will also be providing a public service ie - encouraging the MAMIL's to pedal harder and faster! Amazing! I should get an award :angel:

I hope I see my ex husband out on his road bike, It would bring immense joy to sail past him up a big hill :evil:

I hope I see my ex husband out on his road bike, It would bring immense joy to sail past him up a big hill :evil:
Better to just draft him! :laugh:

Linford

Workmate has a Wisper905 (he in fact has 2 identical bikes) he has been using them since totting up a lot of points about 4 years ago and now given up the car...well given it to his missus.
he also has a form of chronic fatigue syndrome so the bike is ideal for him. I may be loaning one of the bikes for a weekend in the summer if I can prise it from him.

They are very good and the reality is that unless you are in traininf got the TDF, couldn't stay in front of one for an extended period of time. He commutes about 12 miles a day now, but was doing about 24v when he first got it.

Nothing wrong with e-bikes, in my opinion.

Mrs Salad has got a gammy knee, which is now also causing problems for her opposite hip, and although she has a conventional bike, she could not possibly ride it, other than on dead flat ground. Hills just cause her pain and, understandably, she didnt want to touch the bike at all. Now, with an e-bike, she is willing to go out riding. Not in the cr*p weather we keep having at the moment, but come the warmer weather she will be ok to do some riding.

The trouble is - I couldn't keep up with her e-bike whilst riding my MTB (not without risking cardiac arrest) so I have had to get one, too......

In my book, anything that enables you to get out and enjoy the outdoors on 2 wheels, is better than not being able to go out at all......

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There's a guy who cycles the GBW on an electric bike. I hate him as he gets me every time as I think he's a normal cyclist in the distance. No one likes to be scalped so swiftly so I half kill myself to try to prevent him catching me or if he is in front of me half killing myself again not to be left for dust. When he passes me he's gently spinning with a serene crazed look on his face. B****d! Electric bikes are cheating IMHO, but in your situation if it's the difference between cycling any bike or not then obviously you are going to go electric. Shocking.

Crankers,

Get yourself on the drugs like all those pro fellas then you could keep up with the e-biker.

But I suppose that would be cheating, wouldn't it?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I would love a specific E-Bike.. Specialized Turbo or the Audi E-Bike, they are really cool

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
On days when I'm lacking energy I dream of an electric bike. I was so tired at the end of my journey that I put my head down on my pannier on Thursday and almost cried and couldn't be bothered to find my keys to let myself in for a few moments - I had got to the point where I was going at 4mph on the flat. I know it was a horribly cold headwind but I was feeling so delusioned with cycling at that moment. I was already booking in for a blood test on Friday so I'm hoping it will pick up what the problem is (or that the weather improves). I was actually imagining pushing someone off their electric bike to steal it as I rode along!

So I will be interested to see what you end up getting.

gbb

Legendary Member
I had no idea you'd been through the mill Sara :whistle:...and hope there's a light at the end of the tunnel, but...springs coming (it is, isn't it :ohmy:) and you'll be out there. Method's not important, just be out there and enjoying it.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
On days when I'm lacking energy I dream of an electric bike. I was so tired at the end of my journey that I put my head down on my pannier on Thursday and almost cried and couldn't be bothered to find my keys to let myself in for a few moments - I had got to the point where I was going at 4mph on the flat. I know it was a horribly cold headwind but I was feeling so delusioned with cycling at that moment. I was already booking in for a blood test on Friday so I'm hoping it will pick up what the problem is (or that the weather improves). I was actually imagining pushing someone off their electric bike to steal it as I rode along!

:hugs:

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru

Awww........ Sorry to hear you're going through the mill. Hope you pick up quickly :o)
I've always been rubbish at hills. I'm only going at walking pace for a fair stretch of my ride home, even when I'm not unwell.

My Woosh Sant Ana arrived on Friday. I managed a short 5 mile spin before the massive snow dump (which is my furthest ride since I was Ill).

I have to say, it's fantastic fun! I was laughing the whole time I was out! I didn't try the big hill, but I did a little one with hardly any effort. I'll let you know how I get on when I've had a chance to use it more, but I think it's going to make a big difference to me.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Awww........ Sorry to hear you're going through the mill. Hope you pick up quickly :o)
I've always been rubbish at hills. I'm only going at walking pace for a fair stretch of my ride home, even when I'm not unwell.

My Woosh Sant Ana arrived on Friday. I managed a short 5 mile spin before the massive snow dump (which is my furthest ride since I was Ill).

I have to say, it's fantastic fun! I was laughing the whole time I was out! I didn't try the big hill, but I did a little one with hardly any effort. I'll let you know how I get on when I've had a chance to use it more, but I think it's going to make a big difference to me.
Sounds good - I am tempted..... I get passed by so many on hills because I've always been slow on them but recently it's been getting ridiculous. I worry whether I would become lazy ... which I don't want - I want to put in some effort AND also manage to travel at a reasonable speed.

matthat

Über Member
Hi Sara_H,
just googled your new bike and its looks good. Good luck on your recovery and build up of confidence at getting back out on your bike. Like so many others have said its all about getting out and getting the fresh air. :bicycle:

Top Bottom