Electric Bikes, had a go on one.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J4CKO

A guy I know is tinkering with Electric bikes as a new business venture and I had a go on the prototype 500 watt front wheel model, a Decathlon cheapo rigid MTB and it was massive fun, I know that 500 watt is above the limit in the UK for electric bikes but he will produce a legal version, also he has the kit for a rear wheel motor and being a bit mad he is fitting that to the same one as I tried, so 1000 watts :biggrin: which I would imagine will be interesting as the 500 watt one acheived a speed that made my eyes water with a little pedal assistance, I think it must have been knocking on the door of 30 mph.

I am thinking that these may be a superb solution for our transport and energy problems, not everyone wants to pedal and expend energy but the efficiency of an electric bike is astounding compared to even the smallest most pathetic car or even moped and if it runs out of juice you can still pedal it.

Do you think that they will coax people out of cars for short journeys ? are they going to be a growth industry in the UK or ignored by none cyclists like normal bikes are, and shunned by cyclists as being for wimps ?

thomas

the tank engine
I quite fancy trying one of those high powered ones. I'd love to see people's faces getting overtaken by a cyclist, on the flat at 30-50mph :biggrin::biggrin:

(even if not strictly legal)

I rode a Kalkhoff in Thailand and it was good.....bit chunky though.It worked on the chain mechanism thingy.

Saw a bike in Evans today and meant to take a look at it...looks like it had no chain....1500 squids.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I took a ride on one and was really impressed! If an electric assisted bike would get more people out of cars, I'm all for it. It's depressing to see cars lined up bumper-to bumber on 6-lane roads, with ONE PERSON in each car! Each car takes up a LOT of space. Imagine the money to be saved if we didn't have to pay for 6-lane roads and huge car parks!

The one I rode was driven by a motorised front wheel hub. I wish I'd examined it closer, to see what has to be done to change a tyre on the road. As with everything, though, the price has to come down.

A couple of friends have them, both of them are long time cyclists, one has knee problems and the other uses one for getting around from one work place to another faster in a hilly area.

I tried one, just like riding a heavyish bike on the flat but when I turned the corner and went up this very hilly street, it was magic! However, where I live is flattish and although I'm nowhere near as strong a rider as I was 5 years ago, don't feel it's the time yet to buy one & can't justify it.

al78

Guru
J4CKO said:
A guy I know is tinkering with Electric bikes as a new business venture and I had a go on the prototype 500 watt front wheel model, a Decathlon cheapo rigid MTB and it was massive fun, I know that 500 watt is above the limit in the UK for electric bikes but he will produce a legal version, also he has the kit for a rear wheel motor and being a bit mad he is fitting that to the same one as I tried, so 1000 watts :tongue: which I would imagine will be interesting as the 500 watt one acheived a speed that made my eyes water with a little pedal assistance, I think it must have been knocking on the door of 30 mph.

How big/heavy does the battery need to be to power both those 500W motors, and what is the range?

Not sure I'd want to try pedalling one if the battery died on me, must weigh a ton.

trickletreat

Veteran
Mine is a Montague Swissbike LX with a steel geared high torque heinzmann rear hub. With one battery it weighs in at about 20kg, which is light for this type of bike. The small battery is 1.9kg, the big one is 3.6kg.
The kit can be fitted onto quite a lot of bikes, but I had mine built by Steve Punchard of Electricmountainbikes.com

http://electricmountainbikes.blogspot.com/2008/04/electricmountainbikescom-newest.html

The power and assistance from this 200watt motor is unbelievable once off road on steep tree rooted paths. So much so, Steve fits the battery with a brakeaway cable!

DSC_0137-1.jpg

I have three of various types on loan to elderly relatives and they are a fantastic extension to the cycling life.

Jezston

Über Member
numbnuts said:
These electric bike are OK, but were is all this electricity coming from.....

Power stations generate energy at a level of efficiency many orders of magnitude greater than an internal combustion engine.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Jezston said:
Power stations generate energy at a level of efficiency many orders of magnitude greater than an internal combustion engine.

Some generation is more efficient, but even one fully order of magnitude is an exaggeration!

I'd love to have a go on an electric assisted bike to see though.

Top Bottom