Electric Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Most major bike makers make ebikes, although not all sell in the UK.

Cube look as well as any.

Confusingly, their ebikes are called Hybrids:

http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/hybrid/

I've seen the Cubes, they are just what I don't want or like, I don't want an electric bike that looks like a "normal" bike, I've got 5 "normal" bikes and another bike is not what I want. I want alternative transport across a City that does not leave me in a sweaty mess. By "want" I mean desire, good looking, and the sooner the majors realise other (non-cyclist) people desire well designed stuff too (not a "normal" bike with battery & motor attached), then the market will take off.

I'd buy one of these tomorrow................if they were £1500 but they are nearly twice that.

DSC00310.jpe

Last edited:

RichardB

Slightly retro
Is that a very big hub gear, or am I looking at 2WD? :smile: I like the style, but not sure about the low seat. For short city journeys, it looks brilliant.

I've seen the Cubes, they are just what I don't want or like, I don't want an electric bike that looks like a "normal" bike, I've got 5 "normal" bikes and another bike is not what I want. I want alternative transport across a City that does not leave me in a sweaty mess. By "want" I mean desire, good looking, and the sooner the majors realise other (non-cyclist) people desire well designed stuff too (not a "normal" bike with battery & motor attached), then the market will take off.

I'd buy one of these tomorrow................if they were £1500 but they are nearly twice that.

DSC00310.jpe

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It looks like a beach bike. It just shows you that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because I think its fugly. But there are lots of nice slimline Electric bikes out there.

MarkF

Guru
It looks like a beach bike. It just shows you that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because I think its fugly. But there are lots of nice slimline Electric bikes out there.

I can understand that Steve. But I work with people who are interested in purchasing electric bikes, but they have zero interest in bikes or cycling. A "bike" with a battery and motor attached holds zero appeal for them, it won't swing the deal, they won't fork out significant money for something they don't like the look of.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Well you cant have an Electric bike without a motor but many companies have sorted out the battery issue.

The Emotion Race has a range limit of 90km.

MarkF

Guru
I have been through this umpteen times Steve, looking at Google images of electric bikes with co-workers.

I like the pic of the bike that you posted but I wouldn't buy it, why? Because it looks like a bike and I already have 5. If I am to buy alternative "transport" then I want something different and as long as the majors keep throwing "bikes" at non-bike people then they'll continue to wonder why the UK take up is so low.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Exactly. I often commute across Bradford, it's a very hilly City, it sits in a bowl and winter or summer I arrive a sweaty mess. Although I currently own a Sakura electric bike, I don't ride it because it's so pig ugly but I am sold on the concept. As soon as the majors wake up and supply electric bikes that don't look like they'd suit Mary Poppins then I'll buy one. I think it's only a matter of time and design before they are popular commuting transport because they are a regular topic of conversation at my work, with people who be unlikely to ever have any interest in a normal bike.

No, no, no.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR--ZhW0rpdpUYjYqT_AigriUYKtxpw5Dz1BZ8QHo0hQCzBQxRZ.jpg

Yes, yes, yes.
Otocycles-Electric-Bicycles-image-1-672x372.jpg
I see one like that heading towards Yate direction regularly but always on the road, and doing above 15mph for little effort.

The problem I have with them is those who use them on the cycle paths and don't see it as a way to exercise and just sit on them going faster than the 15 mph limit and weaving in and out of other bikes. If they are riding them in a considerate way then no problems.

I would be happy to use one myself and sometimes long for one in the depths of winter just to take the edge of the worst bits.

Top Bottom