Electric Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just out of interest, are overpowered, or too-fast electric bikes actually legal if you do some appropriate additional registration and/or buy additional insurance? (and don't use them on cycles-only or shared-use routes)

Or would you run into some other problem that while they aren't legal bicycles they also aren't legal mopeds, due to some other aspect (like the brakes, or lights, or brake lights or some such).

I'm not thinking of getting one, just idle curiosity ...

Edit. I just read the above link
Any electric bike that doesn’t meet the EAPC rules needs to be registered and taxed. You’ll need a driving licence to ride one and you must wear a crash helmet.
The vehicle will also need to be
‘type approved’ to make sure it’s safe to use on the road.

I checked out type approval and it talked about dipped headlights, and speedometers - so it could be a problem I guess.

Edit edit.
And there's more info here http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/having-a-faster-e-bike-in-the-uk.3831/

I've found out all I wanted to know. Ignore me.

Last edited:

jarlrmai

Veteran
No. Just checked and it's 250w, which is legal according to the (UK-based) seller. I'm not that fussed either way to be honest.

it's legal if the driver has a license and wear an approved helmet etc, otherwise it's not.

The seller is wrong, the wattage is not illegal but the unlimited bike needs be type approved.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Some people need to do some research on Electric bikes before making comments on here.

Honestly, there is some twaddle gong on here.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
In ebike circles, the rules and regs cause the same amount of hot air as helmets do on here.

Situation not helped by lack of clarity.

Strictly, in the UK it's maximum 200w, but all motors peak at more than that, and it appears European spec 250w bikes are deemed legal over here.

Common ground is the speed restriction, the motor must cut off at 15.5mph/25kph for the ebike to be legally treated as a bicycle.

S-Pedelec is a European designation where the motor assists to 28mph/45kph.

In Europe, these bikes must be plated, registered and the user must wear a helmet.

Over here, they are low powered electric vehicles, and have similar registration requirements to a moped.

I read somewhere of one guy who tried to register one in the UK, he did it in the end but it took months.

Inevitably, most buyers don't bother, although ebike sales are tiny in the UK, and S-Pedelecs are a tiny proportion of those sales, so there are not many kicking about.

There are moves to harmonise the rules across Europe, but the impression in the UK ebike trade is the UK government has bigger fish to fry, so that's unlikely to happen any time soon.

olimanjaro

I think electric bikes can be good. Anything that gets more people on a bike, and exercising is a good thing. It also helps people who may have illnesses or disabilities that would prevent them from riding a normal bike. Or for older people. They're getting better and better looking as well. Before long you wont be able to tell the differance between a leccy bike and a normal bike.

I agree wholeheartedly. Having ridden one myself, I convinced a relative that it would be a great way for him to continue exercising. It is certainly a myth that they do not allow you to exercise - most have a variable level of pedal assistance and some even have torque sensors, whereby the motor matches the rider in terms of the effort they put in, and the result is a very subtle feeling of assistance that actually mimics the feeling of riding a conventional push bike fairly closely. The main difference, I guess, is in the result that you're able to go for far longer and cover more ground.

And there are designs to suit every taste - Personally I love the look and feel of the vintage electric bike that my uncle went for. He went for it mainly because he was able to buy it and have it serviced locally, but it just so happens that it's a fantastic looking retro style bike.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I'm living proof! I was getting older (still am), putting on weight and getting less fit, and I realised that the lovely 1990s Dawes Galaxy that I had in my shed was not going to be ridden seriously again. I sold it (idiot) and bought an electric bike. Now I am commuting on it to work, getting fitter and losing weight, and have bought a new Galaxy. Eventually, I hope to use the Galaxy full-time, and I will sell the ebike. But until then, it provides me with a fastish commuting time, and I arrive at work after what feels like a decent workout, but not too hot and sweaty. I'm averaging around 15 mph (very hilly route), and on the flatter bits I am often around 16-17 mph with no assistance at all (the bike is fully legal), so I am definitely getting fitter. Hills that were a struggle in bottom gear when I started I now fly up two gears higher. As a way back into cycling after some nasty health issues, I can't fault it. It's a heavy old bugger, but it's doing the job for me. Without it, I would still be commuting on a motorbike or in a car, while dreaming that one day I would be fit enough to ride a bike again. I reckon ebikes are the way forward. We will never get lots of people riding pushbikes in the UK as in the Netherlands because of the terrain, but with the right encouragement, and a downward trend in prices, they could be a great solution for people who travel modest distances - perhaps as an alternative to the second car.

In ebike circles, the rules and regs cause the same amount of hot air as helmets do on here.

Situation not helped by lack of clarity.

Strictly, in the UK it's maximum 200w, but all motors peak at more than that, and it appears European spec 250w bikes are deemed legal over here.

Common ground is the speed restriction, the motor must cut off at 15.5mph/25kph for the ebike to be legally treated as a bicycle.

S-Pedelec is a European designation where the motor assists to 28mph/45kph.

In Europe, these bikes must be plated, registered and the user must wear a helmet.

Over here, they are low powered electric vehicles, and have similar registration requirements to a moped.

I read somewhere of one guy who tried to register one in the UK, he did it in the end but it took months.

Inevitably, most buyers don't bother, although ebike sales are tiny in the UK, and S-Pedelecs are a tiny proportion of those sales, so there are not many kicking about.

There are moves to harmonise the rules across Europe, but the impression in the UK ebike trade is the UK government has bigger fish to fry, so that's unlikely to happen any time soon.

250W is legal in the UK for trikes and tandems

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Electric bikes are booming in Denmark and not just with the old and infirm. They make a great commuting bike if you dont want to turn up at work hot and sweaty. I had a Tonaro Enduro and Jannie had a Tonaro Compy for fun. I dont need an Electric bike and I like to ride my 36km commute on a regular DF bike. Jannie rides her roadbike to work and back every working day of the year. But it was nice to go out on 30 km rides with a picnic with no effort. But you can reduce the Electric help you get or even switch it off and keep pedalling. Ours were like normal bikes with the power off. They were heavier but we could get home OK. Reputable, Electric bike suppliers will sell you bikes you can use in the UK. The rules are very clear. The Pedalecs forum is very good for any questions regarding Electric bikes.

The biggest downfall with Electric bike advertising is that they started advertising by aiming it squarely at the old and infirm, but they are for everyone. They really are great fun. There is no reason that cycling should be a struggle all the time.

077-3.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Electric bikes are booming in Denmark and not just with the old and infirm. They make a great commuting bike if you dont want to turn up at work hot and sweaty. I had a Tonaro Enduro and Jannie had a Tonaro Compy for fun. I dont need an Electric bike and I like to ride my 36km commute on a regular DF bike. Jannie rides her roadbike to work and back every working day of the year. But it was nice to go out on 30 km rides with a picnic with no effort. But you can reduce the Electric help you get or even switch it off and keep pedalling. Ours were like normal bikes with the power off. They were heavier but we could get home OK. Reputable, Electric bike suppliers will sell you bikes you can use in the UK. The rules are very clear. The Pedalecs forum is very good for any questions regarding Electric bikes.

The biggest downfall with Electric bike advertising is that they started advertising by aiming it squarely at the old and infirm, but they are for everyone. They really are great fun. There is no reason that cycling should be a struggle all the time.

077-3.jpg
Copenhagen's Go-Bikes are very popular with the tourists. Shame the scheme was aimed at the locals. My wife now thinks electric assist bikes are great.

MarkF

Guru
Electric bikes are booming in Denmark and not just with the old and infirm. They make a great commuting bike if you dont want to turn up at work hot and sweaty.

Exactly. I often commute across Bradford, it's a very hilly City, it sits in a bowl and winter or summer I arrive a sweaty mess. Although I currently own a Sakura electric bike, I don't ride it because it's so pig ugly but I am sold on the concept. As soon as the majors wake up and supply electric bikes that don't look like they'd suit Mary Poppins then I'll buy one. I think it's only a matter of time and design before they are popular commuting transport because they are a regular topic of conversation at my work, with people who be unlikely to ever have any interest in a normal bike.

No, no, no.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR--ZhW0rpdpUYjYqT_AigriUYKtxpw5Dz1BZ8QHo0hQCzBQxRZ.jpg

Yes, yes, yes.
Otocycles-Electric-Bicycles-image-1-672x372.jpg

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Mark, there are lots of electric bikes that are not fugly and they are not hard to find. The Emotion electric bikes have a race range that are nice.personally, I'm not bothered what they look like as long as they work. But then I'm the guy who rides a Kickbike.

Top Bottom