Electric Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sheepy1209

Veteran
I have one - a legal pedelec, i.e. you have to pedal it, it's 250W output, and power cuts out (gradually) between 15 and 16mph. I don't ride it every day, I have a conventional bike as well and on a calm day or with a tailwind that's actually quicker than the electric one. The electric is torque-sensing, so its output is proportional to pedal effort.

But the electric is wonderfully consistent; wind, hills, just bowl along at 15mph - getting warm but not breaking into a sweat.

It's very much a bicycle, perfectly legal on cycle paths, in fact because there's so little penalty in slowing down for pedestrians I find I'm far more chilled in busy places like Blackpool prom. On the road I have all the same challenges as a fit cyclist (which I am) except I can make a very smart getaway from the lights - catches the drivers out, but in an amusing way.

It's not the future of cycling, but it's much more than a way for old / disabled riders to get about. In a rational world two-car families would replace one of their cars with a pedelec, but of course it won't happen.

Mrs Salad and I have legal (200w) electric bikes, and the motor does indeed cut out at 15 mph. In theory, you could go faster by pedalling, but in practice you would find that your legs can't go much faster, due to the way the 6 speed gearing is set up.....

Also, the motor adds quite a lot of drag to the pedals when it's not actually being used, so again you would have to be pretty fit and a pretty good cyclist to propel the bike beyond 15 mph. And if you were that good, you probably wouldn't need an e-bike in the first place!

We do find them useful for shopping trips (have equipped them both with nice big rear panniers), and for those times when you want to arrive somewhere looking cool, calm and collected, rather than red faced and sweaty, which is my normal physical appearance after a few miles on my non-powered bike...

Klassikbike

There are 2 completely different types of motor assist bikes (Pedelecs and S-Pedelecs), the Pedelec is I don't know for anywhere else limited to 25 Kp/h and you can use it everywhere without a number plate or helmet. On the other hand the S-Pedelec if I remember correctly is allowed to go up to 45 KM/h but this one you have to wear a helmet and have a license plate, also you can use these only on roads not on bike paths and not in parks, trails...

Electric biker

Over the summer I commuted into central London because I was fed up with public transport. I could have used my 600cc motorcycle but that meant a boring motorway drive. Instead the ebike goes on the car. I then ride from outer London to the centre. The best feature is the acceleration and hill climbing. It's slightly tweaked which means it keeps powering up to 20 ish mph after that it's really just spinning out. Pedalling hard 25 mph is as fast as it goes. Fixies and Tour de France replicas can beat it on top speed. It's a custom build. It works for me and is sort of fun; if London can be? The official 15.5 mph cutout sucks. The Yanks get 20 mph. Government decision makers travel by car.

markharry66

Über Member
Lets not get sniffy or on high horse. They weigh a ton. Even the most expensive electric bike weighs like a tank. They cost a fortune, batteries die eventually and cost a fortune to replace. In terms of speed very few of the bikes will go over 15-17 miles an hour mark. Alien bikes one of the biggest suppliers of bikes that did go over 20 mph mark has ceased trading. Benefits it gets people back on bikes and out of the car for that alone its got to be worth it. So you passed someone good on you not everyone is there for a race

byegad

Legendary Member
The chances are that the Police will leave you alone, untl you are involved in a nasty accident, then you'll get the book thrown at you.

Yes. As they become more prevalant and the odd one gets involved in accidents there will be a crackdown. A Velomobile rider reported on this forum IIRC getting pulled over by the local Rozzers who had a hard time believing that he was bowling along at near 30mph without an engine or motor. Once they were convinced that it was a Human powered vehicle they told him they'd had several calls about him speeding in an unregistered vehicle.

I suspect the guy doing 28mph on an upright bike in an upright position would attract that kind of attention some day.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I'd worry about the risks of pullouts, drivers already misjudge the speed normal bicycles going over 15mph an ebike is doing upto 25.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I think ebikes are great, if it means someone (perhaps less fit or with restricted mobility) is able to cycle who would otherwise drive or just stay at home.

donnydave

Über Member
Interesting reading here, I've very briefly looked at ebikes but didnt realise the motor (in legal ones) cuts out at 15. I thought the motor would give you a 15mph "baseline" and then put your own effort on top so could rattle along at 20-25mph, which would be great.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I'd worry about the risks of pullouts, drivers already misjudge the speed normal bicycles going over 15mph an ebike is doing upto 25.
That's a good point, one of the guys I see regularly looks like he's doing about 8 - 10 mph with a very up right seat and very low cadence, but he's bombing along at about 18-19 mph.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Interesting reading here, I've very briefly looked at ebikes but didnt realise the motor (in legal ones) cuts out at 15. I thought the motor would give you a 15mph "baseline" and then put your own effort on top so could rattle along at 20-25mph, which would be great.

I have no problem with that, they can do that but then are an electric vehicle and you need insurance and a license etc and stay off shared use and cycle only paths.

contadino

Veteran
I put an electric conversion kit on a clunker bike for my wife. I tried it a few times and it's pretty good fun. 'The Hand of God' is how they describe it at my LBS.

It's 200watts IIRC, but any more is unnecessary really.

It's not really cycling. No sense of achievement or challenge, but fun and good for folks like the wife who don't want to learn to drive but do want to live rurally.

Top Bottom