Electric Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
a work colleague turned up yesterday on his new Kalkhoff Endevour not entirely sure what model but i think BS10 .

not my kind of thing but must admit does look impressive and he seems a happy chappy

mangid

Guru
a work colleague turned up yesterday on his new Kalkhoff Endevour not entirely sure what model but i think BS10 .

not my kind of thing but must admit does look impressive and he seems a happy chappy

You'll be able to have some serious SCR with him :-)

Has he actually registered it and put a number plate on it ?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I think electric bikes can be good. Anything that gets more people on a bike, and exercising is a good thing. It also helps people who may have illnesses or disabilities that would prevent them from riding a normal bike. Or for older people. They're getting better and better looking as well. Before long you wont be able to tell the differance between a leccy bike and a normal bike.

MisterStan

Label Required
I think electric bikes can be good. Anything that gets more people on a bike, and exercising is a good thing. It also helps people who may have illnesses or disabilities that would prevent them from riding a normal bike. Or for older people. They're getting better and better looking as well. Before long you wont be able to tell the differance between a leccy bike and a normal bike.
Well apart from the REALLY long extension lead coming from it :thumbsup:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
My LBS is a leccy bike place. Was chatting to the owner t'other day and he said things are going quite well, lots of interest and one recent purchaser was upgrading his leccy bike. He was also getting one for his son ... who is 62 and the Dad is 85 and he's lost half a stone since getting back on his bike ! (he used to ride quite a bit when younger, apparently) ^_^

jarlrmai

Veteran
Anyone been dropped by one? Are they limited to a max speed or is it your effort + whatever the battery+motor can give?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Anyone been dropped by one? Are they limited to a max speed or is it your effort + whatever the battery+motor can give?
I see one quite often on my commute, and they go quick.
the motor is limited to 15mph, but with what looks like minimal effort from the rider they can easily do 25mph on the flat.
They are very quick away from the lights too!
It's very odd when you are overtaken by some bloke who isnt trying, then suddenly you realise he's on an electric bike.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's up the hills where they bugger up a SCR.
On the flat they can be despatched with no problem :thumbsup:

See one every now and then on my commute home. Usually climbing Bromley Hill. I try to keep up but as it's a long climb, he usually wins.

Does this bike really belong in this forum? While it looks a lot like a push bike, it seems to be - both practically and legally - a moped. With a maximum speed of 28mph, and a range of between 28 and 68 miles. Apparently (as referred to above) you are required to get it registered, insured and you need to wear a motorcycle helmet.

Which no one does.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Does this bike really belong in this forum? While it looks a lot like a push bike, it seems to be - both practically and legally - a moped. With a maximum speed of 28mph, and a range of between 28 and 68 miles. Apparently (as referred to above) you are required to get it registered, insured and you need to wear a motorcycle helmet.

Which no one does.

Their website says you dont have to wear a helmet, and doesnt mention anything about insurance or registration.
But the UK Gov website says only electric bikes less than 200Watts are legal, and these Kalkhoff bikes are more powerful than that ,350Watts. It also says that once the bike hits 15mph, the motor should stop propelling the bike, yet these bikes are advertised speeds of up to 28mph.

I'm certain the one I see regularly is a Kalkhoff, and it can leave me for dead without trying, I can be rattling along at over 20mph and it's still going away from me. There is no way the guy could cycle the bike at 20mph so I can only assume that the motor is still offering help, which strictly speaking is illegal.

Top Bottom