Electric Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Their website says you dont have to wear a helmet, and doesnt mention anything about insurance or registration.
But the UK Gov website says only electric bikes less than 200Watts are legal, and these Kalkhoff bikes are more powerful than that ,350Watts. It also says that once the bike hits 15mph, the motor should stop propelling the bike, yet these bikes are advertised speeds of up to 28mph.

I'm certain the one I see regularly is a Kalkhoff, and it can leave me for dead without trying, I can be rattling along at over 20mph and it's still going away from me. There is no way the guy could cycle the bike at 20mph so I can only assume that the motor is still offering help, which strictly speaking is illegal.

You're not reading the gov website properly .... this is the bit that applies to these bikes
Other kinds of electric bike
Any electric bike that doesn’t meet the EAPC rules needs to be registered and taxed. You’ll need a driving licence to ride one and you must wear a crash helmet.

The vehicle will also need to be ‘type approved’ to make sure it’s safe to use on the road.

according to another forum, quite a few of these bikes have been sold in the UK, but none have ever been registered.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Interesting this is going to be a legal grey area with limited enforcement I bet.

I feel discussion on a cycling forum is valid as these bikes look like normal bikes to the untrained eye and therefore we are going to get lumped in with them, especially when they are ridden poorly.

And then there's Strava... ;)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I came across one the other day that didn't have an restrictions on, guy was doing 30mph and not even breaking a sweat. Boy that was hard work getting in front of him. Saw him again on the same day going home with a huge headwind. I just sat behind him, not like it was any effort for him to take the wind and do 25mph.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Anyone been dropped by one? Are they limited to a max speed or is it your effort + whatever the battery+motor can give?

They are supposed to be limited to 15 miles per hour. The wattage you often see advertised is 250watts.

welsh dragon

You can buy electric conversion kits now. You can see them advertised on ebay and other places minus the battery. The batteries cost around £190.00. Those are the bikes that probably break the 15mph limit think.

welsh dragon

I guess they are not allowed in bike lanes right? These things are going to cause issues.

I think they can go anywhere a normal bicycle can go. They are classed as bicycles after all

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
All power assit bikes are limited to 15 mph, before they are classed as a motor vehicle.

But, when i shopped for a elec assit bike a few years back (and decided not to buy one...happily as it really helped my riding NOT to) every bike shop i visted immediatle offered to swap the rear cassette and chain rings to put out over 20 mph. All illegally

Killed the battery in half the time but it does explain those with superhuman speeds.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The chances are that the Police will leave you alone, untl you are involved in a nasty accident, then you'll get the book thrown at you.

Reactions: gaz
Top Bottom