Electric humiliation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigMeatball

Normally I don't pay too much attention to most of the cyclists that overtake me when I'm out riding; most of the times it's people in good shape, with very good road bikes, good quality gear, good position on the bike. You can tell they mean business. They overtake me on the flat but fair play to them; my 105kg and my super compact 48t big front ring can't do much against their 70kg and 52t

But last weekend, I was out on my ride and I got humiliated not once but twice by a skinny little woman in crocs on an electric bike. She was riding a brompton style electric bike, very tiny wheels, and she was going at least 30km/h on something like 35-40rpm cadence, she was barely spinning the pedals.

First time I was on the flat, still warming up, I was riding at 24km/h, she passed me easily. I stayed on her tail to check her speed; she was in fact doing 33km/h according to my garmin. Never had I seen an electric bike so I was actually curious and shocked to see what they were capable of :ohmy:

Anyways, at the next traffic light, we part ways. After 10 minutes I'm on a little steep-ish climb, riding at 16-17km/h and out of the blue here she is again, going so much faster than me while barely spinning the pedals.

At the next roundabout, I checked where she was going and decided to take a different route; had she passed me another time I would have probably knocked her off her little bike and set fire to that devilish object. I would have had to catch her first, which was not at all a sure thing :laugh:

Slick

Guru
I think E-Bikes are ace and being passed by them is just something that you and I will need to get used to I'm afraid.

Sounds like this one could be illegal though if it's not restricted to 15mph.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I don't feel humiliated when I see a man with larger biceps than me. No different than being overtaken by another powered vehicle like a car. If it makes you feel any better, when I used to do a lazy commute on my (legal) e-bike, I was once overtaken going uphill by someone on a regular road bike, who gleefully said "morning" as he breezed by

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Being passed is no humiliation, electric or otherwise.

I was riding up one side of a local ridge* at the weekend, going quite well I thought, and was passed at speed by a rider seemingly made out of pipe cleaners. No humiliation there, pipe-cleaner man was clearly younger and fitter than me (and had a fancier bike, which probably made all the difference ;) ). What was slightly annoying was when I finally did crest the ridge (having made a detour and stopped for a chocolate bar and to text my wife) who should I see but Mr Pipe Cleaner again! He'd been down the other side and come back up again. But when I got home and had a look at my ride timings I was as fast as I've ever been up most of the hills, and fastest on some. So no humiliation at all.

There's always someone faster.

* Greensand ridge, Toy's Hill/Ide Hill.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Sounds like this one could be illegal though if it's not restricted to 15mph.

Oh, definitely faster than 15mph.

Didn't see any brand on the frame so I can't check what the specs are.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh, definitely faster than 15mph.

Didn't see any brand on the frame so I can't check what the specs are.

You've got to watch some of them. I was chasing a 'fat bike' on the flat a couple of weeks ago. Slow rpm, but he was still doing a good 15 mph - I was doing 20. The bike was quite unusual, big box section top tube, no 'down tube' - looked up on ebay, and these things have a 100ow motor.

To be honest if it get's someone out and about it's a good thing. Chatted to a lady yesterday who breezed up a climb on her eMTB. She suffered bad arthritis and this got her out. Her only issues were the weight - she'd had to get help getting it over a stile a few weeks earlier, and then they had to take the battery out. It weighed twice my MTB's weight.

Top Bottom