Electric humiliation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daninplymouth

Iv seen an ebike locally that I pulled alongside in my car about 35mph then he accelerated away. Barely pedalling and on a mountain bike, bugger that it looked well wobbly

gbb

Legendary Member
Nothing humiliating about such an obviously gimped contraption. What gets my goat is many of these road bikes are electric but incredibly subtle with it. I was pushing a hard 20mph and overtook a road cyclist. Some time later on the same long stretch I hear the sound of his freewheel ratcheting right behind me, then stopping, then again. Kept doing it to obviously be a prat. I was puffing away flat out perhaps losing a bit of speed and then suddenly he overtakes and just seemingly keeps accellerating like a UFO > 25 mph. By looking at him and his bike you wouldn't know a thing. Maybe he was Chris Froome after all?
Even assuming he was on an ebike and assuming it was legal which i'd guess it was,( i suspect derestricting a bafang mid drive will be easy but not a factory bike...but i may be wrong)...the road ebike would cut out at 15.5.
When on my roadbike and at my fittest, there would occasionally be someone who came up alongside, chatted while you were really working hard, then blitz off into the distance like you were'nt even trying. Thats just superior fitness and a guy on a road ebike could do the same if he was fit enough ...without any input from the motor.
The freewheeling makes sense too, not to annoy you, he's in your slipstream. he would have to back off, freewheel as he got pulled along, then pedal to maintain gap...and over and over. Again, all that would make sense even if he were on a legal ebike...but was fitter than you.

Equally, he might have a derestricted bike:laugh: :okay:

As an hybrid ebike user (health demands it) i often feel somewhat sheepish when i overtake someone on a hill...but then i think, once its obvious i'm on an ebike it really should'nt bother them. Respect to the person i just overtook, I'd swap places in an instant, i'd rather have good health than ride an ebike, but there you are :okay:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
On the subject of people insecure about being overtaken, I saw this today:

Victoria Pendleton on the subject of people who can't stand to be overtaken "If I’m out about on my road bike and I overtake a man for example .... I will hear a rapid crunching gears as they try to “make amends for it” occasionally combined with a mumbling of “I must of been daydreaming...like they need an excuse!” Usually followed with a pedal mashing (usually short lived) stomp back past me.

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-monday-1-june-273913

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I wonder how fast VP is, these days? She's 40 this year, which really shocked me. Tempus fugit and all that.

pawl

Legendary Member
How would you have reacted if it was an elderly gentleman and not a woman on the bike?

Lots of blokes on bikes seem to get offended if I pass them and just have to speed up and get past (presumably so their poor shrivelled manhood is restored) :whistle:

Granted this happens less often than male riders passing me :whistle:

Sunday I was struggling up a local climb when a young lady flew past me Normal road bike except toe clips and manky old trainers Humiliated I was devastated.Nearly did a Wiggins and slung my bike in the hedge.😰😰😰

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

pawl

Legendary Member
I don’t really care what bikes people ride male or female as long as there out on the road enjoying themselves.

I have seen more parents with young children out on the roads My Hope is that when this is all over they continue cycling 👍👍👍

Slick

Guru
Having an Ebike, my wife is able to come on long rides where she was only able to do 10 miles before.

Now she can do 45 miles in relative comfort. We average 12-14mph, I draft her when its a strong headwind:heat:
Exactly the same as me. 10 miles was a struggle then all of a sudden we cycled to Utrecht and as you say, always someone to carry the load and take the wind. :becool:

Top Bottom