Electric scooters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Tasers, that’s the answer, Tasers ! ( not really, but I do carry around a virtual Taser in my head and quite ofter use it to zap various antisocial ne’er do wells, people who insist on packing all their supermarket shopping into separate bags in a specific sequence before looking surprised that they have to pay for it and rummaging through their bag to find their purse… )

Tazering is too good for them ;)

classic33

Leg End Member
Tasers, that’s the answer, Tasers ! ( not really, but I do carry around a virtual Taser in my head and quite ofter use it to zap various antisocial ne’er do wells, people who insist on packing all their supermarket shopping into separate bags in a specific sequence before looking surprised that they have to pay for it and rummaging through their bag to find their purse… )
What you need is one of these.
1661520672408.png

stephec

Legendary Member

No no, even better would be police snipers on every corner.

mustang1

Guru
I was in The City yesterday and saw several e-scooter riders riding sensibly, stopping at all red lights, not doing anything crazy. Front and rear lights and helmet. Quite clearly they were commuters not rushing to use public transport and I commend them for riding sensibly.

It is by people riding responsibly this way that laws get changed for the better.

Those a-holes (yoofs on sidewalks) need to be punished.

classic33

Leg End Member
I was in The City yesterday and saw several e-scooter riders riding sensibly, stopping at all red lights, not doing anything crazy. Front and rear lights and helmet. Quite clearly they were commuters not rushing to use public transport and I commend them for riding sensibly.

It is by people riding responsibly this way that laws get changed for the better.

Those a-holes (yoofs on sidewalks) need to be punished.
It's not all/only yoofs on the the sidewalks. There were a couple of council office workers, locally, using them on the pavements to travel less than 100 yards to the shops. Nearly always against the flow of road traffic.

Most of them appear to have bought them under a council backed scheme. Stopped when it was pointed out they were not legal.

I was riding along a canal path yesterday when I got the shock of my life

thought my bike had literally fallen apart

braked and slowed down (they tend to happen together)

only to see an e-scooter shoot past me making one HELL of a racket

the canal path was bumpy and stoney and the footplate was grounding all the time creating the racket

in my mind the wheels are too small - and this also applies to roads and cycle paths where the surface can me far from good

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
What you need is one of these.
View attachment 658764

Tasers?....No, these:
dbbefdcef2b8b383d9ea48406ae00e19--sci-fi-tv-star-trek-ships.jpg

:laugh:
I just got back from visiting a mate in Exeter. To my surprise....no escooters. Not one. I only saw one bloke on a skateboard. Unfortunately, Bristol is infested with them, all over the pavements, cutting corners, riding the wrong way on the roads etc.

Interesting point made by ths case

https://metro.co.uk/2022/12/01/lond...-barnet-council-after-pothole-crash-17859245/

So - riding illegally on the road on an escooter
BUT was - apparently = wearing a helmet
but - as it says - no knee pads (should I wear them on my bike?????)

anyway - hot a pothole - which may or may not have existed but lets ignore that - front wheel stopped dead and ride goes over the handlebars

I note that the pothole was 'difficult to see' because it was dark - but no mention of lights

so - ignoring the above victim blaming -does she have a case???

I also wonder, if she succeeds and gets a payout will this force councils to maintain roads to a standard where the small wheels on an e-scooter as OK on it and not base everything on what is safe for a car/truck/bike

classic33

Leg End Member

https://metro.co.uk/2022/12/01/lond...-barnet-council-after-pothole-crash-17859245/

anyway - hot a pothole - which may or may not have existed but lets ignore that - front wheel stopped dead and ride goes over the handlebars

I note that the pothole was 'difficult to see' because it was dark - but no mention of lights

I also wonder, if she succeeds and gets a payout will this force councils to maintain roads to a standard where the small wheels on an e-scooter as OK on it and not base everything on what is safe for a car/truck/bike
She's admitted she was on the road illegally, so should have no case whatsoever.

No lights will also count against her.
"Mrs Drago said she did not know it was illegal when she took her new e-scooter on the road and it was only her third outing on it."
Since when has ignorance been a defense?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

We should be so lucky ;)

icowden

Veteran
I do hate the way Journalists make things up.
It should read:

An e-scooter rider who broke her leg in a crash is pursuing a personal injury claim against the council responsible for the road and has alleged consequential financial loss and damages totalling almost £30,000.

At the moment the case is still determining fault and is bring up an important legal ruling as the injury was sustained during the illegal use of a private e-scooter. Interesting discussion here:-

https://www.penningtonslaw.com/news...urpi-causa-exclude-claims-for-personal-injury

Top Bottom