Electric scooters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
This morning coming into Leeds a modified electric scooter passed me (I was doing approx. 20mph). Lights, etc but the rider was wearing Currys clothing and riding on a dual-carriageway.

Not a good look for their company.
Advertising(Costs a fortune these days) where you can buy one?

classic33

Leg End Member
Problem following the link,
Screenshot_2022-12-05-16-42-18.png

They must be flying out the doors.

Better things to spend money on than something that can't be used.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
This morning coming into Leeds a modified electric scooter passed me (I was doing approx. 20mph). Lights, etc but the rider was wearing Currys clothing and riding on a dual-carriageway.

Not a good look for their company.

Don't remember seeing any branded clothing, but I was having breakfast at the Holiday Inn on the A65/Kirkstall Road a few weeks ago and watched a scooter rider in the bus & cycle lane keeping up with the fast moving traffic.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
TBH I can see the point of them. And wouldn't mind one, once the legalities are sorted out. They make sense as an urban transport option, getting people out of cars.

Had another one behind me this evening on the road home. No lights, dark clothing on a dark road - I could hear the buzz from it though.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've seen quite a few of these things being ridden by no (or tiny hard to see) lights and dark clothing lately. Yes, I know some will say for argument sake that if you couldn't see them how then DID you see them, but I only spot them when they're so close, so if I had to slam my brakes on I'd still hit them. Then my main concern would be about who's going to pay for the dent in my car being fixed, not how the unlit, illegal rider is.🧐

On the subject of unlit idiots, last night a dope smelling chav, complete with Rottweiller on a lead passed me on his bike, on the pavement. He approached from behind with me only seeing him and 'Tyson' as they passed me very closely. To cap it all I saw chav let Tyson have a big dump further down the road and chav just rode off with Tyson and left the steaming mess for someone else to deal with, or worse stand in!! 🧐

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.

I went in my branch to look at digital cameras (everything on their website has been 'out of stock since, like, May) and saw that they have nice little 'genderised' escooters, pink for girls, blue for boys along with an incorrect notice that says you should obey local bylaws. Er...there is no local by-law that I am aware of that lets you ride them in public, so misleading. I anticipate some parents caving into 'little Johnny' who begs for one this Xmas.

icowden

Veteran
along with an incorrect notice that says you should obey local bylaws. Er...there is no local by-law that I am aware of that lets you ride them in public, so misleading.
Yep. And this is why the Government needs to get its finger out and update the Road Traffic Act. Actually enforcing the law around e-scooters is largely pointless due to their ubiquity and the fact that some are legal. It's a mess and the law is out of date.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yep. And this is why the Government needs to get its finger out and update the Road Traffic Act. Actually enforcing the law around e-scooters is largely pointless due to their ubiquity and the fact that some are legal. It's a mess and the law is out of date.
Only those that are involved in the trials are legal, no others are. And if you're not in one of those areas, using one of those e-scooters, you're breaking the law.
There are no grey areas in this.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Only those that are involved in the trials are legal, no others are. And if you're not in one of those areas, using one of those e-scooters, you're breaking the law.
There are no grey areas in this.

Unfortunately we find ourselves living in a selfish arrogant culture where the 'I want to be free to do what I please' attitude comes into effect over escooters so its 'F*** the law'. And yes, the escooter close-calls I've had are mainly phone-using chavs not blasted looking where they're going:cursing:.

andy0001

Über Member
I bought one a couple of years ago, about 6 months before they were banned, i was using it to and from the station plus on back roads in london, then had a cab pull out on me, i swerved, went down hard and cracked a couple of ribs, sprains to wrist and ankle, decided to go back to cycling, feel a bit more in control of a bike. they are good fun but people who ride them don't seem to ride them sensibly, i had extra lights, helmet, hi vis top etc, most people had headphones on(this bugs me with cyclists too) it's a bit of a weird thing that you can hire one to use on the roads of london but can't ride your own.

Top Bottom