Electric scooters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Spotted this notice when I was at the Railway station on Thursday. I've not noticed many Electric Scooters but I'm not a regular commuter so I'm not sure how prevalent they are.

IMG_4305.JPG

vickster

Legendary Member
Spotted this notice when I was at the Railway station on Thursday. I've not noticed many Electric Scooters but I'm not a regular commuter so I'm not sure how prevalent they are.

View attachment 696492

Pretty much every rail company has banned them now, plus TfL

numbnuts

Legendary Member
When LI batteries go....they really go:

We recently had fire warden training. Apparently, one escooter on fire in Manchester was thrown into a canal....and burned underwater.

Saw those Paris riots about pensions, some poor French firefighters tried in vain to put out a bunch of ebikes on fire. Good luck, its extremely difficult.

I wonder how long until house insurance companys ban the use of charging e/bikes/e scooters inside your home.

I wonder how long until house insurance companys ban the use of charging e/bikes/e scooters inside your home.

Good point - hope they remember to include mobile phones and laptops as well

OK OK OK - never really heard of a mobile phone blowing up because the batteries are quite small
but in the old days laptops were well know to catch fire - nearly always with cheap replacement chargers
nowadays the manufacturers seem to have got round the problem but as the technology is the same the possibility is still there.

Basically - the right construction standards and the right charger and you should be OK
problem at the moment is that as the e-scooters are illegal anyway there are no real standards that the manufacturers stick to - any old carp will do as long as you can sell it when it is new!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
<snip>
Basically - the right construction standards and the right charger and you should be OK
problem at the moment is that as the e-scooters are illegal anyway there are no real standards that the manufacturers stick to - any old carp will do as long as you can sell it when it is new!
Very much this - the bike in the above video looks to be fitted with an aftermarket kit, probably purhased on the cheap direct from an anonymous manufacturer in China with all the quality control & product testing you'd expect
1687897137696.png

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Had a wee near-miss incident with a private escooterist this morning.

Was overtaking a slower cyclist in front on the Railway Path, roadie coming from ahead but miles of room. I shoulder-checked, saw the escooter yards behind, so pulled around the guy in front. Didn't anticipate the speed he was doing since as I drew parallel to the other cyclist, Mr escooter was trying to overtake me!....with room rapidly running out. So braked hard, pulled back in and so did he. Potential collision avoided. He did apologise to me, but two observations:

1. He was going quite fast and attempted an overtake with not only space rapidly running out, but he almost was in the right-hand verge.
2. Private escooter, so yes, shouldn't have been out on it anyway.

I'm getting quite tired of these jumped up kids toys, hire or private. Voi scooters 'rules' are just laughable, see them broken every day.
Its a bit worrying when you're riding in a left-hand mono-directional painted cycle lane & someone on these things is coming towards you....that's happened a few times!.

Top Bottom