Electric scooters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Saw quite a dangerous bit of escootering last week. Sat at the red light on Cattle Market Road at the junction with Albert Road/Feeder road, note high billboards on right which hamper your view. Shocked that a bloke on an escooter not only jumped red in front of me....but turning right, he cut around the corner on the wrong side of the road:ohmy::

CMR1.jpg

Road view:
CMR2.jpg

Fully expected to hear a crash & him to hit something head-on!. What an ejit!!...maybe a contender for the Darwin awards?.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Yet another bad injury with these things. :sad:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-66098652

Ripple

Veteran
Kent Police considering a zero tolerance approach and too crush e scooters used on the road.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-66079951
This will mean more high speed chases to catch the culprits first.
I don't believe a word. Nothing will be done.
Where I live and work police successfuly close their eyes to the problem. When an accident happens it's usual "blah blah should would could" and everything is forgotten until next accident. Then repeat all sequence of blah blah.

There was one fatality yesterday but I am sure even now nothing will change. https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/teenage-e-scooter-rider-dies-in-crash-with-bmw-289734/

I have access to CCTV at work and one of my cameras faces a very busy roundabout. I don't think there's a thing I haven't seen yet. 2 or even 3 people on e-scooter which is being ridden on the road; use of mobile phone; riding against traffic and using a mobile phone - you name it, I've seen it. Parents riding e-scooters with their children at the front/back is a normal thing.
The winner was a few years ago - riding on a busy A road while using mobile phone.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ridden sensibly e scooters could be the answer to a lot of lazy-as local transport problems, but the great British public never ceases to amaze me their their ability to arse around dangerously at the slightest provocation.

And I have a lot of sympathy with the dibble on this one. They do nothing people moan. They try to catch them and little Johnny Sheetbag falls off and dies people moan.

Trying to catch a teenager on an e-scooter is an excise in time wasting most of the time

They will almost certainly not stop just because you tell them to - especially if you are in a uniform
you can;t catch them on foot
if you catch them using a car then you still can't stop then un case they fall off and get injured

andin any case most of them will be local and will know the paths and bollards they can wizz through to get away

so overall even trying is wasting a lot of time

The only ones they can catch are th eones riden by sensible law abiding people who stop when asked - but these are the ones that are doing little or no harm
like when they decide to enforce "No Cycling" rules in pedestrianiased areas - all the local kids treat it is a great game and the only ones fined are the nice sensible older people who stop for the rent-a-cop

captain nemo1701

'Riding against traffic'...yep...had 'em coming towards me in a left-hand monodirectional cycle lane. No idea....Seen them go the wrong way around Broadmead in Bristol much to the annoyance of buses/taxi drivers. Normal to see two or three people on them although the latter tend to be kids...like, how do they hire them?.

captain nemo1701

Trying to catch a teenager on an e-scooter is an excise in time wasting most of the time

They will almost certainly not stop just because you tell them to - especially if you are in a uniform
you can;t catch them on foot
if you catch them using a car then you still can't stop then un case they fall off and get injured

andin any case most of them will be local and will know the paths and bollards they can wizz through to get away

so overall even trying is wasting a lot of time

The only ones they can catch are th eones riden by sensible law abiding people who stop when asked - but these are the ones that are doing little or no harm
like when they decide to enforce "No Cycling" rules in pedestrianiased areas - all the local kids treat it is a great game and the only ones fined are the nice sensible older people who stop for the rent-a-cop

I would include the 'I'm late....' brigade (folk have probably seen this and sorry...Its a Daily Fail one):

Drago

Legendary Member
Lovely little nudge by oz plod.

As an aside, you really don't want to mess with oz plod because the have no PACE, so all sorts of unpleasantness is liable to happen if you arse them about.

Lovely little nudge by oz plod.

As an aside, you really don't want to mess with oz plod because the have no PACE, so all sorts of unpleasantness is liable to happen if you arse them about.

PACE?

Drago

Legendary Member

Aye, prevents your friendly UK wooden tops from beating confessions out of villains, from holding them in the cells indefinitely until they finally fess up. Virtually no on goes not guilty at court in Oz as a result - they simply don't dare.

As much as some sheetbags deserve it this sort of behaviour is wrong. I know two bobbies that emigrated over there and just couldn't mentally handle the way Oz plod operate so came back.

classic33

Leg End Member
One rider injured on the A58 on Godley Bank, in an early morning, 0530, incident.

Why they felt it was safe to be on the road at that point I can't understand. The road is at its narrowest at that point, and it's an almost blind bend, either way.

Aye, prevents your friendly UK wooden tops from beating confessions out of villains, from holding them in the cells indefinitely until they finally fess up. Virtually no on goes not guilty at court in Oz as a result - they simply don't dare.

As much as some sheetbags deserve it this sort of behaviour is wrong. I know two bobbies that emigrated over there and just couldn't mentally handle the way Oz plod operate so came back.

Ouch. Great way to ensure the police get no support from the citizenry.

I think our version of PACE is in the basic law (effectively the constitution), which makes it harder to amend. There are fairly obvious historical reasons for this.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not squeamish, the sheetbags that commit crimes and make peoples lives a misery deserve every bit of unpleasantness coming their way.

But at best there are issues when someone innocent gets it, and at worst it's a slippery slope and becomes routine behaviour towards everyone they deal with, so best to stick to doing it by the book.

Heck, I appear to have scruples. Who'd have thunk it?

But that sort of brings us back to the topic. The Oz plod Biker gave the lad a nice poke to get him off the scooter, and rightly so to bring to an end a dangerous situation.

Top Bottom