Electric scooters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
These things should be banned.
They don’t wear helmets, don’t need insurance,motnor Road tax.
They are misused by most youngster and are a danger and a complete menace to society
If made legal, the list of restrictions/requirements for their legal use, will put most off the roads(In the UK).

These things should be banned.
They are misused by most youngster and are a danger and a complete menace to society

They already are 'banned' - in that their use on the public highway/in public spaces is illegal except for hired ones from approved 'trial schemes' in certain strictly-defined areas. It's not a case of 'don't need insurance' etc - you can't get insurance for them, unless you are a commercial hire operator in an approved trial scheme.

But just because something is illegal, doesn't stop people doing it ...

Ripple

Veteran

20230430_151925.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member

Parents, or anyone who permits or facilitates access to such a device which is subsequently used unlawfully on the road, commits an offence of use, cause or permit.

We used to get jobs where an adult child had taken mummy or daddies car without permission and then got stopped and turned out to have no licence or insurance, etc, but mummy or daddy would refuse to make a formal complaint. We simply nicked the parents for use, cause or permit instead, and its amazing how quickly every single one of them changed their minds.

Its a handy bit of legislation that few outside the dibble know exist.

Or not, as the case may be. The bulk are already ignoring current laws and I can see no reason why they'd suddenly obey even more laws.

Ours have number plates, so they are theoretically teaceable and insured.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Or not, as the case may be. The bulk are already ignoring current laws and I can see no reason why they'd suddenly obey even more laws.

Unfortunately in this country we have the attitude ' Get away with it as long as you possibly can...'. IMHO, it doesn't mater if the damn thing is private or hired, anyone on them on pavements is just wrong. I see them all over Bristol pavements and my thought is always 'too lazy to walk, too scared of the road'. They have a need for speed - several times faster than peds, whilst craving ultimate convenience, ie. I can't be bothered to go to any effort'. It's part of the lazy convenience obsessed society we live in where even getting fast food isn't fast enough for drivers who can't be a***d to get out of the vehicle.

I saw a guy on a private one wheeling it around my local Tesco at the weekend - apparently hard to lock up....

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member
In the middle of Wimbledon today.
At this (Digonal-Crossing) junction.
While all traffic lights were RED and all pedestrian lights were green.

A scooterist (non-rental), in black, no helmet or any other protective clothing, coming from the open road ahead at (I estimate) 20+ MPH blasted through, while all 4-way cars were stopped, and crossings, including the diagonal, were occupied by pedestrians.
He came down on the inside of the stopped cars and, mid junction, switched to the outside.

How he failed to hit someone is a miracle.

wimbledon.png

Top Bottom