Electric scooters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But it costs money and you have to hope the guilty party has any assets to recover. So it’s usually a none starter.
You can’t sue a 12 year old with no pocket money.
Do you know how many hit-n-runs are commited by car drivers in a typical day?
(and how many of those cause injury?)

In practice, a kid with an e-scooter probably has parents with cash, and/or house insurance. You'd be unlucky to suffer material damages where it was not possible to reclaim costs, and there will always be teenage vandals on the streets, even if we eradicate this new scourge.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
WHen I am riding on paths ,whether shared or not, I always assume that dogs and kids will behave in a totally unpredictable way
The only way to pass them is very slowly
dogs often turn at the last minute to stand directly across the path for some reason
kids - especially younger ones - can stop and wait, then panic and run to some parent or other

this accident is probably just that - the poor kid may have run out and not been seen until too late
the person on the scooter may have had no chance of avoiding her
- but someone older would probably have slowed down more - maybe

best wishes to everyone involved - really sad
You need eyes in the back of your head to stay safe - or to not ride a scooter like a twit in a public place?

One of the things I don't miss about pre-Corona working, is dodging the rush-hour pavement cyclists and scooter jockeys who seemed to think pedestrians are an obstacle course for them to test their high speed manouvering skills.

I find it pretty wild that people are using the same arguments here that are routinely used to demonise cyclists.

I don't doubt that some scooter riders are scrotes who act like they are a law unto themselves, but exactly the same accusation is levelled at cyclists, and I'm sure most of us are relatively sensible, and despite collective responsibility not actually existing, we all get tarred with the same brush nonetheless.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I find it pretty wild that people are using the same arguments here that are routinely used to demonise cyclists.

I don't doubt that some scooter riders are scrotes who act like they are a law unto themselves, but exactly the same accusation is levelled at cyclists, and I'm sure most of us are relatively sensible, and despite collective responsibility not actually existing, we all get tarred with the same brush nonetheless.
Yup, we all here routinely take to the streets with an instrument between our legs that has the potential to cause mayhem.

It does seem like they are like us
A few nutters and loads of well behaved people who never get noticed
but at the moment they are all illegal on public roads (including pavements etc)
and - more importantly - not regulated so $deity knows what speed some of them may be capable of

but someone weaving down the pedestrianised high street at high speed on an escooter is the same as someone doing a wheelie on a mountain bike in the same place - or even just pedalling along in the same way as the scooter

The main problem is that 'the people' will lump them in with us - especially people who ride ebikes - so any action taken has the potential to affect everyone on bikes and scooters whether legal or not

WHen I am riding on paths ,whether shared or not, I always assume that dogs and kids will behave in a totally unpredictable way
The only way to pass them is very slowly
dogs often turn at the last minute to stand directly across the path for some reason
kids - especially younger ones - can stop and wait, then panic and run to some parent or other

this accident is probably just that - the poor kid may have run out and not been seen until too late
the person on the scooter may have had no chance of avoiding her - but someone older would probably have slowed down more - maybe

best wishes to everyone involved - really sad
Agree with you totally on how to ride in these situations. And use a bell,Unfashionable as they are in some quarters.
Don't suppose we know the circumstances of this incident.

Except that - discounting behaviour entirely - e-scooters are illegal in and of themselves, whereas bicycles are not.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Yes and also no. At present, unless they are part of one of the licenced hire trial scheme they are not legal to use outside of the owner's garden.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Did someone say cars on pavements

FA7206A9-8CEB-451B-9A77-E82B8DB3C6CA.jpeg

Top Bottom