Electric scooters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Strictly speaking they're still parked on double yellows.

That’s the crazy think isn’t it? They think they’ve out smarted the lines

T4tomo

Legendary Member

this accident is probably just that - the poor kid may have run out and not been seen until too late
the person on the scooter may have had no chance of avoiding her - but someone older would probably have slowed down more - maybe

best wishes to everyone involved - really sad
indeed, although the real issue is that escooters dont mix well with pedestrians on footpaths, neither do they mix well in roads with cars as seen from the twitter link, nor in cycle lanes with bikes (although that's probably the best mix, annoying as it is) but that isn't anywhere near a proper infrastucture.

if the general public are unhappy about bikes in roads / pavements where the majority of the cycling population behave in a reasonable and predictable way, there is hell to come with escooters which do not.

I think this brings nearer the day when e-scooters and e-bikes will be made to have licences.

I don't believe this is necessarily a bad thing, even though I am quite likely to get an e-bike in the next few years.

I regularly drive through one of the busiest areas in Cardiff for e-bike delivery riders and even at the max legal speed of 20mph I am overtaken by e-bikes clearly going at 25mph ridden by a delivery rider who is only just coasting. Not happened with e-scooter yet, but give it time.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was pretty quick (lethal) on my kids micro scooter. When collecting them, I used to swing one over my shoulder then scoot down our hill on the other. Was good for about 20 mph, and fortunately no pot holes.:laugh:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I got a ticket for parking like that years ago. The traffic warden cheerfully told me the double yellow lines signified no parking for the full width of the street (I was actually parked on cobbles between the building and the pavement but not causing an obstruction), so every one of those cars should get a ticket.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Thank you all ,it's just a mother put up a post about her son having his e scooter mugged from him,in a local fb page,I thought it was illegal.

Drago

Legendary Member
"Private" is oft misunderstood with respect to the R.T.A. - it does not mean privately owned. In this case it is a place to which the public do not have access.

So your pub car park, local retail park, Hoe-seasons static caravan park, even a farmers field while in use for a car boot sale would all be unlawful places to ride one as the public have access to them (by payment or otherwise), despite being privately owned.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Two incidents with e-scooters in two days for me;

First one last night - wrong side of an A-road heading towards traffic. Dived onto the pavement at the last moment.
Tonight - two kids coming the wrong way down a nearby residential street at speed, wobbling. They just missed me.

I'll end up colliding with them soon.

Top Bottom