Electric scooters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
There was an interesting segment on Newsnight earlier with a representative of an organisation representing visually impaired people and someone from one of the scooter hire operators (Tier). It felt like a it of a battle of anecdata.

Lozz360

Veteran
Thankfully there aren't many of them around here. If i hit one,or more likely one hits me and there's damage to my car can i claim off them?
If the scooter is part of a rental scheme then yes. If it is privately owned, then you can try claiming, but the scooter will not be insured as it is not possible to get insurance for something that is not legal.

Lozz360

Veteran
I find it pretty wild that people are using the same arguments here that are routinely used to demonise cyclists.
For the same reason perhaps? Car drivers demonise cyclists because they fear that cycling is threatening motoring. Cyclists see the rapid uptake of e scooters and have the same anxiety.

dodgy

Alright guys, bloody hell, I wasn't being snarky, I was genuinely wondering if the legal guy had added some insight that wasn't generally known. I think we can agree that it is generally known only rental e-scooters are legal. Having now had to time to watch the video I can see that no, he hasn't added any additional legal insight, but it is a good video to watch if you claim to be completely ignorant around the legalities of escooters in public places.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Meanwhile in Orpington. A 16 year old on a scooter ride was killed by a drunk driver.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
For the same reason perhaps? Car drivers demonise cyclists because they fear that cycling is threatening motoring. Cyclists see the rapid uptake of e scooters and have the same anxiety.
E scooters are an evolution from 'go peds'. There used to be a twonk here in Bristol who had a petrol driven scooter in the 90's. Awful thing, very noisy lawnmower engine, rank smell of fumes as he went by. Once almost crashed into me when I was waiting at a bust stop because the fool was riding it on the pavement. Switch the lawnmower engine for an electric motor and hey presto!...the 'micromobility revolution'. Same dumb idea - souping up a toy- but now it's cool & trendy. Saw someone going down the road last night on one balancing a suitcase on it....:blush:.

Last edited:
Meanwhile in Orpington. A 16 year old on a scooter ride was killed by a drunk driver.

Both illegal behaviours, but one of them is - IMO - significantly more culpable than the other. The dangers of drunk driving are far greater, and more widely known, than the dangers of illegal scootering, whether to oneself or to others.
The driver was wilfully wicked, the scooterist merely foolish/annoying - which, much though I might dislike and even condemn them, is a perfectly natural state for most 16yos, one way or another.
However this tragic event will perhaps go some way to bringing home the dangers which scooterists present to themselves, as well as the dangers they present to others.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Another one this morning; wrong side of the road weaving and another near collision.

All three incidents in the last 24 hours have involved under 16's and this morning's appeared to be on a commute to school.

classic33

Leg End Member
The difference, for me, is that pedal cycles are currently road legal. These scooters aren't.

A better argument may be to compare their users to those who use derestricted e-bikes on the roads, and often on the pavements.

Top Bottom