Electric scooters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daninplymouth

We’ve had 2 accidents in 2 days here. Both quite badly injured, only the riders themselves. Although the local rag is full of they should have insurance etc the same as cyclists so seems cyclists still get dragged into the argument when it’s nothing to do with us.
I wouldn’t actually mind one myself as my work is only just over a mile away, so not worth getting the bike out takes 15-20mins to walk but could get there in 5mins on one of these

vickster

Legendary Member
We’ve had 2 accidents in 2 days here. Both quite badly injured, only the riders themselves. Although the local rag is full of they should have insurance etc the same as cyclists so seems cyclists still get dragged into the argument when it’s nothing to do with us.
I wouldn’t actually mind one myself as my work is only just over a mile away, so not worth getting the bike out takes 15-20mins to walk but could get there in 5mins on one of these
Just leave 10 minutes earlier and get the exercise :okay: (without breaking the law, assuming your commute isn’t across your own private landed estate)

Stephenite

Membå
I’ve been using the family (it’s actually my gf’s) e-scooter for a couple of years now. It’s been great for short trips - of a few kilometres generally - to the shops, dropping off and picking up one kid at the kindergarten, etc.

I’ve used it for the commute a few times as well. Mostly for the novelty tbh. The distance is nine kilometres and it takes about 30 minutes. On the bike it takes about 25 minutes. I change clothes anyway so I don’t have to factor in that into the comparison. There are two major differences in the experience though. Firstly, after a couple of km’s it is BORING. You are basically just standing there keeping your right thumb pressed down. Secondly, if it’s cold out then you get cold too, especially the right thumb.

So, in my experience e-scooters are great for short trips but after a few km’s bicycles are better.

By the way I’m in Norway 🇳🇴 where they’re legal.

Last edited:

purpan

I use non-electric scooters for commuting in Toulouse and it’s been fine so far. I haven’t annoyed anyone and nobody’s given me a hard time. Plenty of e-scooters about, too, and generally people seem to be accepting them. You get the occasional inconsiderate scooterist, but then again, there are some cyclists who don’t use a bell in shared spaces, too.
overall, I think we should support environmentally friendly solutions, not just « our » environmentally friendly solution.

overall, I think we should support environmentally friendly solutions, not just « our » environmentally friendly solution.

I agree - but it is not a solution, nor is it safe or environmentally friendly, to have yet another item - and a totally unregulated and unregulatable one at that - in circulation when it is commonly used, here in the UK at least, in a way which both causes fear and presents a physical danger to the frail, the visually-impaired and the disabled in some of the few locations where they should be able to feel safe and confident in moving around.

Daninplymouth

Just leave 10 minutes earlier and get the exercise :okay: (without breaking the law, assuming your commute isn’t across your own private landed estate)
I do usually but been a bit to hot for walking lately so having to use the car. Now if these were legal I could cut my car use in half

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Clearly the sellers aren’t making a great deal of effort to inform would be purchasers about where the scooters can be legally used…see small print below on major seller website for the Top 5 things to know about scooters :rolleyes::rolleyes: Surely it should be #1 :rolleyes:

https://www.pureelectric.com/pages/...should-know-before-buying-an-electric-scooter

In my very limited experience, sellers seem to be making zero effort. A couple of weeks or so ago, I had to go to the Manchester Arndale. Whilst there I took the opportunity to get some new trainers. E scooters were on sale in JD Sports, with no warnings etc. And being realistic, is the lad behind the till going to give a potential purchaser warnings about their use, just as payment is being made? Particularly as their web site makes no mention of how they can currently be legally used.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Did someone say cars on pavements

View attachment 600284
I happen to know of a wheelchair user who used to be semi blocked by parkers like these twits. He could get past, in his wheelchair, only just. He did a couple of mods to the right hand side of his chair and effectively keyed the paintwork every time He went to work.

He was quite angry about it. But said that his enhanced upper body strength meant that he could manoeuvre well. As far as I know, nobody ever challenged him on the damage caused. I guess he could have taken his chances on a A road, but he wasn’t prepared to.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
It's happened to my wife a few times. First time, she'd got her new scooter a few weeks before and finally plucked up the energy to get ready and go into town on her own (it's difficult to shower and prepare without help, so the whole thing takes a few hours). Halfway there, someone had parked at a dropped kerb. It was a busy main road so she couldn't dare the traffic and there was no easily visible alternative. She hung around for a while, hoping the driver would show up, but finally gave up and returned home in tears. It was months before she had the confidence to try on her own again.

All due to a moment's thoughtlessness.

Top Bottom