Electric scooters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hold on... the scooter that had him off was already been ridden illegally and the law failed to prevent this incident, so what does he think more regulation would do?
I assume he meant that regulation become active rather than mere words on paper.
More (well there couldn't be any less, could there?) application of the regulations.
He has a (possibly long-term and life-altering) injury, is off work for weeks, has undergone pain and distress, expense to the NHS, probably ongoing need for physio etc etc - and the two girls who caused this - by blatantly illegal use of a vehicle, most probably provided to them by a parent (aiding and abetting?) have been 'spoken to' by the police. I'd feel very bitter if I were him.

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, he should reconsider his words then if that is what he meant. He clearly states "...lack of regulation...", which is pretty clear.

There's plenty of regulation, its just no bugger takes any notice of it, and there aren't the resources to police them remotely effectively.

But I do have great sympathy with him over what happened.

The British people have proven they can't be trusted, and the authorities have proven that they don't have the ability to enforce the law. End these trials, and introduce well publicised and seriously punitive punishments for those that continue to flout the law...those that ruined it for everyone else.

Last edited:
End these trials, and introduce well publicised and seriously punitive punishments for those that continue to flout the law...those that ruined it for everyone else.

I agree, 100%. It's bad enough for any legal road user to be 'taken out' by any other legal road user, of any 'grade', 'status' or level of vulnerability; it's even worse when it's someone with no sense of responsibility doing something completely illegal.
There must surely be some means of redress for the victim in cases like these.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Potholes are pretty common here in west London ( OK, not as bad in south-east London). I just cringe when I see a kid on a scooter with six inch wheels poncing down the road at 20mph in heavy traffic.
Wing suit flying became a lot less popular after thirty daredevils killed themselves in the space of three months a few years ago.

What I like about that article is that it collects all the points in this debate in the minimum space. Just look at this short extract:

"
The two 12 year-old girls, who had been riding together on the same e-scooter with no helmet, were not hurt.

Police officers spoke to them and their parents, who were unaware they had broken the law.

Mr Holbrook said: "I'm conflicted about e-scooters as I work as an environmental adviser for my employer but I think the lack of regulation is undermining any good efforts."
"

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Just need a few high profile crushings of these expensive toys.

Not an expert on them, but, prices appear to start at around £350 and go up.

The area where I live is (allegedly) a deprived area, but, there are a remarkable number of these "toys" around.

Last edited:

Stephenite

Membå
We have an electric scooter in the family which I use fairly regularly - school run, etc. I use it responsibly and I have never upset anyone as far as I’m aware. And I’m all for clamping down on antisocial behaviour too. :okay:
Just thought I’d share.

We have an electric scooter in the family which I use fairly regularly - school run, etc. I use it responsibly and I have never upset anyone as far as I’m aware. And I’m all for clamping down on antisocial behaviour too. :okay:
Just thought I’d share.

That's all very well IF you are riding responsibly and legally.
But you are not in the UK. it doesn't matter how responsibly you ride them, the ONLY provision for the legal use of electric scooters here in the UK (outwith your own private land, or another person's private land with their specific permission) is for those made available for hire in specific areas under specific regulations pertaining to that particular hire scheme.
If you have 'an electric scooter in the family' it can only legally be ridden around your own garden ...

So to see two teenagers, aided and abetted by their parents, merely being 'spoken to' when by their illegal action on the public highway they have seriously injured a perfectly-legitimate user of that public highway, is galling to put it very mildly indeed.

purpan

If we’re going to ban e-scooters because a proportion of users are irresponsible, then we should ban cars too.

Stephenite

Membå
That's all very well IF you are riding responsibly and legally.
But you are not in the UK. it doesn't matter how responsibly you ride them, the ONLY provision for the legal use of electric scooters here in the UK (outwith your own private land, or another person's private land with their specific permission) is for those made available for hire in specific areas under specific regulations pertaining to that particular hire scheme.
If you have 'an electric scooter in the family' it can only legally be ridden around your own garden ...

So to see two teenagers, aided and abetted by their parents, merely being 'spoken to' when by their illegal action on the public highway they have seriously injured a perfectly-legitimate user of that public highway, is galling to put it very mildly indeed.
The first part is just you repeating yourself as you like a good moan.

But what do you think should happen to the girls?

The first part is just you repeating yourself as you like a good moan.
No, it's me explaining why what YOU do is irrelevant to the situation described.

But what do you think should happen to the girls?

They should be asked - alongside their parents - to meet with their victim and hear his side of the story and his views on the actions of silly irresponsible girls. They should apologise, pay for the material damage to his bike, clothing etc and pay to have the scooter crushed.

Of course that will not happen unless their parents are exceptionally remorseful and responsible.

Perhaps the best that can happen is that they should be asked to accept that they are very, very lucky that their parents do not have to live with the knowledge that their own daughters killed an innocent passer-by for a moment's 'fun'.

What I like about that article is that it collects all the points in this debate in the minimum space. Just look at this short extract:

"
The two 12 year-old girls, who had been riding together on the same e-scooter with no helmet, were not hurt.

Police officers spoke to them and their parents, who were unaware they had broken the law.

Mr Holbrook said: "I'm conflicted about e-scooters as I work as an environmental adviser for my employer but I think the lack of regulation is undermining any good efforts."
"
I don't disagree except that my link, which you quote, is to a guy riding his scooter down the central lane of the A38M Aston Expressway "after a night out"

Milzy

Guru
Saw some tosser on an e-scooter last week go straight across a busy junction with the lights on red against him the other day. Bet if it had gone pear shaped some poor motorist would have got the blame and the trauma.

wasn’t a yoof either but a “mature” chap, perhaps late fifties
Every time I see someone been a plank on the roads in various vehicles or cycles it’s usually a man in his 50’s.

Stephenite

Membå
No, it's me explaining why what YOU do is irrelevant to the situation described.

They should be asked - alongside their parents - to meet with their victim and hear his side of the story and his views on the actions of silly irresponsible girls. They should apologise, pay for the material damage to his bike, clothing etc and pay to have the scooter crushed.

Of course that will not happen unless their parents are exceptionally remorseful and responsible.

Perhaps the best that can happen is that they should be asked to accept that they are very, very lucky that their parents do not have to live with the knowledge that their own daughters killed an innocent passer-by for a moment's 'fun'.
You say the ‘situation described’ but the posts prior to mine are about the prices of e-scooters, potholes, and two incidents of irresponsible e-scooter riding.

And FYI my experiences of e-scooters is relevant in a thread about e-scooters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom