Electric scooters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Hold on... the scooter that had him off was already been ridden illegally and the law failed to prevent this incident, so what does he think more regulation would do?
IMHO, a massive should be a clampdown on shops/websites flogging these bloody things. They KNOW the people buying them won't use them on private land...stupid caveat just designed to cover their asses. Websites are selling the unrestricted high speed versions that arrogant morons with no regard for anyone except their own 'fun', race them up to 40 mph on cyclepaths and put videos up on YT encouraging others.

'Pure electric' is encouraging use by kids by selling them as children's escooters. Now that's really irresponsible, encouraging the young to use illegal escooters, probably with no road experience. Plus, not exactly dealing with obesity are they?. I predict fatter kids in the future, used to pressing a button and a machine does all the hard exercise stuff for the poor little darlings....

Last edited:
round here their use is increasing

but most of them seem to be riden in a reasonable manner - but on the pavement
OK I have seen a few young lads whizzing down the high street on them too fast - but them I have seen more on bikes so that is the person not the machine
Clearly illegal but mostly not causing any problem they wouldn't have done on anyway

Looking at them I really wouldn;t think they are all that safe on roads - especially main roads where the traffic is going at speed and we all know about the start of the side of some roads!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Halfords are selling them knowing they are illegal, but still sell them.

Flaming nightmare on our caravan site, as are the electric MX bikes. Too many near misses with older folk, and the kids just charge at people with them. Someone will be very upset when a kid get's squashed by a driver.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Halfords are selling them knowing they are illegal, but still sell them.

Flaming nightmare on our caravan site, as are the electric MX bikes. Too many near misses with older folk, and the kids just charge at people with them. Someone will be very upset when a kid get's squashed by a driver.
Without sounding heartless perhaps a few e scooter riders getting squished is what's needed so people take notice

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
1630587385429.png

https://eatsleepride.com/c/336619/j...t_the_swappable_electric_motorcycle_batteries

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As I was parking up a few minutes ago the Clayton Harriers came running past on their been doing it for decades Tuesday evening run. Yes, they take up the whole width of the pavement, but they're gone in a few seconds. As they were running I heard a beeping noise then saw two 'youths' (being polite here) get right up behind them on an electric scooter. These @#~ts wanted the runners to part to let them pass. I don't know how it ended as the incident passed me after a few seconds, but I hope the runners didn't move for them!:angry:

As I was parking up a few minutes ago the Clayton Harriers came running past on their been doing it for decades Tuesday evening run. Yes, they take up the whole width of the pavement, but they're gone in a few seconds. As they were running I heard a beeping noise then saw two 'youths' (being polite here) get right up behind them on an electric scooter. These @#~ts wanted the runners to part to let them pass. I don't know how it ended as the incident passed me after a few seconds, but I hope the runners didn't move for them!:angry:

I don't see the problem; the scooter riders probably didn't want their scooters being damaged by HGV's etc that apparently 'fly down' the streets in that area. They only wanted to use a little bit of the pavement, and there would still be several feet left for the runners to squeeze through.

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't see the problem; the scooter riders probably didn't want their scooters being damaged by HGV's etc that apparently 'fly down' the streets in that area. They only wanted to use a little bit of the pavement, and there would still be several feet left for the runners to squeeze through.
They shouldn't be on either the footpath or the road.
And a large club run should be on the road, as matter of courtesy to pedestrians who may be walking.

Two local, to me, running clubs have that as an unwritten rule.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Last edited:
They shouldn't be on either the footpath or the road.
And a large club run should be on the road, as matter of courtesy to pedestrians who may be walking.

Two local, to me, running clubs have that as an unwritten rule.

Question, what is the legal position in the UK? I've noticed scooters here have a little numberplate like the low powered scooters that you can drive from about 14 here, which means they are at least registered and insured...

vickster

Legendary Member
Question, what is the legal position in the UK? I've noticed scooters here have a little numberplate like the low powered scooters that you can drive from about 14 here, which means they are at least registered and insured...

That’s only the case for official hire schemes, think you need to have at least a provisional license to hire.
privately owned ones, currently not legal anywhere except private land with landowner position. So a kid riding on the pavement is breaking the law

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
That’s only the case for official hire schemes, think you need to have at least a provisional license to hire.
privateky owned ones, currently not legal anywhere except private land with landowner position. So a kid riding on the pavement is breaking the law
This.
Outside of those being used in the trials, they aren't supposed to be in use.

You need the relevant Q category on your driving licence, minimum age of 14. Wear a helmet and use only where permitted. This last part appears to vary from area to area.

Top Bottom