Electric scooters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

Look at tonight's comments and you'll find out. I mentioned about some illegal e scooter riding on the pavement and got the impression from some they thought the running club should've moved out the way for them.

classic33

Leg End Member
Look at tonight's comments and you'll find out. I mentioned about some illegal e scooter riding on the pavement and got the impression from some they thought the running club should've moved out the way for them.
That's not what was said.
"And a large club run should be on the road, as matter of courtesy to pedestrians who may be walking."

An unwritten rule because some running clubs have realised that taking up the whole of the footpath isn't fair to pedestrians.

classic33

Leg End Member
Isn't there a slight irony in cyclists criticising the idiots on eScooters and their roadcraft? Visit London and you'll see entitled cyclists bombing through junctions, RLJing and terrorising people on pedestrian crossings and pavements.
We don't have a leg to stand on.
When, or if, they become a legal road vehicle, will the riders suddenly decide to ride on the road?

They currently use the pavements because they don't like traffic, of which they may be part of legally. Especially traffic that is faster and heavier than them. Footpaths are so much easier/nicer/safer for them.

I've the same view of those who choose to ride bikes on footpaths because they don't like riding on the roads. In a town centre, it'll be those on foot that will come off worst in any collision. E-scooter or bike, but that's of no concern to them.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
the plod are cracking down on them here , posting on facefluff and via school email to parents about the legal status of the death traps .One post showed how someone had tried to escape from them by going up an alley and crashed which showed the arresting officer as pc " the wall " :smile:

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Some stills taken from my in-laws house showing someone on an e scooter crashing into there wall. It turns out that the rider was the parent of the intended recipient, and they were showing off to them. 2 broken fingers, and cracked wrist requiring a splint was their injuries.

I’ve since doubled the brickwork in the area flattened by the rider, and added the picket fencing which had I planned to fit a few days prior to this happening.
6D9894A5-4B10-4970-B82B-339AEA007C86.png

B07FE215-20F3-42D0-970E-F50BA2A041A8.png

3A469ACA-C05F-4688-AA64-B88861EA70B4.png

Last edited:

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I've the same view of those who choose to ride bikes on footpaths because they don't like riding on the roads. In a town centre, it'll be those on foot that will come off worst in any collision. E-scooter or bike, but that's of no concern to them.
Not necessarily. Earlier thisyear there was a collision on a shared use path not far from my home. The outcome was a pedestrian treated for bumps and bruises and an e-cyclist dead at the scene.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Xmas prior to lockdown, I was walking to the shops when a 'yoof' came hurtling towards me on a narrowish part of the pavement on an escooter. I stood my ground,forcing the creature to swerve around me. Funny, I got called a 'Jeremy Hunt' for using the pavement legally whereas the semi-evolved life form (whose legs clearly didn't function) was breaking the law. I've also experienced escooter riders who think that mono-directional cycle lanes painted on the road are actually two-way:angry:.

It not only escooter making life difficult for pedestrians, e-'hover boards', e-skateboards and those daft mono-wheels are a risk too. You know the sort, bloke stood on gyro-controlled wheel,not looking where they're going, never indicating, no shoulder checks just focusing on looking 'cool'. I've also seen a guy on a souped-up unrestricted e-bike he's covered in what looks like black insulation tape. I actually saw him overtake a motorbike in Bristol centre several weeks back. He wears a ninja-style balaclava to disguise himself. This machine looks like it can do about 40mph at the touch of a button. Great...he's probably all over the pavements and cyclepaths on his 'bike' thinking he's cool, untouchable, indestructible, never has accidents & of course, when it comes to the law, they always 'know best', don't they?.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
The only way to stop them - without recruiting and training loads of extra Police - is to make it illegal to even sell them - including online

How in the name of $deity you would enforce it I have no idea

even my LBS has been overheard saying that he will override the cutoff on ebikes "but you won;t use it on the road will you??"

Nah mate -- course not

I won't buy stuff from one certain bike shop in Bristol centre which relentlessly promotes selling private ie illegal-in-public escooters. I favour say, a 100% tax on selling them?. So make a £500 scooter £1k?. Should put some off buying them or perhaps a law that makes the purchaser sign a legal document stating its for private land only, provide licence details?. Unlike bicycles, they are motorised transport.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Without sounding heartless perhaps a few e scooter riders getting squished is what's needed so people take notice
I saw 3 or 4 young lads almost volunteer for that this evening!

I was cycling down a country lane about 50 metres behind a car when the e-scooter riding boys shot out of a side road in front of the car, and turned towards me. The driver's emergency braking saved them. They were looking over their shoulders towards the car and laughing at their near miss when the first one then slewed back across the road directly in front of me. I braked so hard that my rear wheel actually lifted off the road. I stopped about 50 cm from him!

I'm not proud of it, but I shouted exactly what I thought of their roadcraft in strong language... I then cycled off with jeers of "Effing knob-'ed", "Wayne Kerr!" etc ringing in my ears. :cursing:

I wonder if the parents know how close their sons are coming to serious injury or death when they whizz off unsupervised on those scooters?

Pr
I saw 3 or 4 young lads almost volunteer for that this evening!

I was cycling down a country lane about 50 metres behind a car when the e-scooter riding boys shot out of a side road in front of the car, and turned towards me. The driver's emergency braking saved them. They were looking over their shoulders towards the car and laughing at their near miss when the first one then slewed back across the road directly in front of me. I braked so hard that my rear wheel actually lifted off the road. I stopped about 50 cm from him!

I'm not proud of it, but I shouted exactly what I thought of their roadcraft in strong language... I then cycled off with jeers of "Effing knob-'ed", "Wayne Kerr!" etc ringing in my ears. :cursing:

I wonder if the parents know how close their sons are coming to serious injury or death when they whizz off unsupervised on those scooters?
Probably about the same as the 2 that I saw yesterday in black jeans, black hoodies, hoods up on a mountain bike with one on the saddle and one on the handlebars
coming down the middle of the road at about 20 mph+ - I know that hill and that is the speed you do

Oh - and it was after dark as I was trying to get the third grand kid to sleep in the car when he was all excited to be staying and 'grannpos' (as his SEN big brother says

Top Bottom