Electric scooters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For the same reason perhaps? Car drivers demonise cyclists because they fear that cycling is threatening motoring. Cyclists see the rapid uptake of e scooters and have the same anxiety.
you seriously think cyclists, or many, feel threatened by them? I don't see how this works.
I do think the very small wheels are a matter of very serious concern on many UK roads.
I've almost been thrown by a pothole on a 700 bike on a busy london road - if I had come off could very well have been fatal.
May be interesting see what comes out with regard to the twickenham fatality I linked to if no other vehicle/party was involved.

Lozz360

Veteran
you seriously think cyclists, or many, feel threatened by them? I don't see how this works.
No, I don’t seriously think that many cyclists feel threatened by the growing popularity of e scooters. I was merely expanding on @Edwardoka ’s comment that the same arguments used by motorists against cyclists are being used by cyclists against e scooterists.

I personally own two road bikes and an e scooter. Apart from both vehicle types each having two wheels, they are completely different. The e scooter does not compete with the bikes at all. I use the bikes for journeys I would not use the e scooter for, and vice versa. So there should not be any cyclists concerned that their way of life is threatened by the rapid uptake of e scooter usage. That would just be silly.

classic33

Leg End Member
No, I don’t seriously think that many cyclists feel threatened by the growing popularity of e scooters. I was merely expanding on @Edwardoka ’s comment that the same arguments used by motorists against cyclists are being used by cyclists against e scooterists.

I personally own two road bikes and an e scooter. Apart from both vehicle types each having two wheels, they are completely different. The e scooter does not compete with the bikes at all. I use the bikes for journeys I would not use the e scooter for, and vice versa. So there should not be any cyclists concerned that their way of life is threatened by the rapid uptake of e scooter usage. That would just be silly.
Your e-scooter is an illegal vehicle, your bikes aren't.

classic33

Leg End Member
It is only illegal if I use it in a public area ;). Semantics apart, this is of course the big downside of private e scooter ownership.
Yet you use it for journeys where you wouldn't use your bike.

You purchased a vehicle whose use is limited by where it can be legally used. Which is nigh on no-where. You did check this before purchase, insured and registered it before use.

For the same reason perhaps? Car drivers demonise cyclists because they fear that cycling is threatening motoring. Cyclists see the rapid uptake of e scooters and have the same anxiety.
That is not my experience.

Drivers don't like being held-up by cyclists (because they consider them extra obstacles, not realising they are actually one fewer car.)
They don't like being overtaken when they're Q-ing in town centres.
They don't like how thin, happy and healthy they look.
They don't like having it pointed out how destructive and dangerous their addiction is.

Lozz360

Veteran
Yet you use it for journeys where you wouldn't use your bike.
True.
You purchased a vehicle whose use is limited by where it can be legally used.
Again, true.
Which is nigh on no-where.
Unfortunately, again true. Unless of course you own a large plot of land (which I don't).
You did check this before purchase, insured and registered it before use.
I didn't need to check as I was well aware of the legal limitations before I purchased it. I would insure it, but I can't as it is not road legal as you have pointed out. Same reason for not registering it.

Lozz360

Veteran
That is not my experience.

Drivers don't like being held-up by cyclists (because they consider them extra obstacles, not realising they are actually one fewer car.)
They don't like being overtaken when they're Q-ing in town centres.
They don't like how thin, happy and healthy they look.
They don't like having it pointed out how destructive and dangerous their addiction is.
I do believe that some, not all, motorists feel threatened by cycling. There are a number of new schemes within towns that are continuing to encourage cycling and walking and discouraging driving. These schemes include Low Traffic Neighbourhoods and cycle-paths (which none of us use apparently). You only have to read comments from motorists on platforms such as Facebook and you will see that some of them do feel that motoring is under threat at the same time that cycling is being encouraged.

Oh you mean the "War on the Motorist" whining?

pffft. That started whenever a tax was increased, or people were actually prosecuted for breaking the god-damn law.

classic33

Leg End Member
True.

Again, true.

Unfortunately, again true. Unless of course you own a large plot of land (which I don't).

I didn't need to check as I was well aware of the legal limitations before I purchased it. I would insure it, but I can't as it is not road legal as you have pointed out. Same reason for not registering it.
That, for me, puts you in the same class as drivers who neither insure or register their vehicles. You should have the vehicle seized and destroyed.

I am assuming you have the appropriate license, and that you'll now say it's used on a large industrial estate or similar.

I came across someone on a escooter in a cycle path alongside the Mersey a few weeks ago

It had a seat on it and he was riding it sitting down

if it was unlimited - no evidence either way - then it could be capable of any speed
so basically it is no different to a motorbike with a small motor
or 'moped' as we generally call them

Personally I think they should have been regulated years ago - something simple such as max speed of say 12 mph and max power of maybe the same as an ebike - 250W

Some people seem to say they will just go away - but I doubt it.
I wouldn't mid one for shopping - easier to keep in the house due to smaller bars and no pedals etc -gets up and running as quick as a bike

midlife

Guru
That, for me, puts you in the same class as drivers who neither insure or register their vehicles. You should have the vehicle seized and destroyed.

I am assuming you have the appropriate license, and that you'll now say it's used on a large industrial estate or similar.

AFAIK it has to ridden in a place that the public have no access, not sure industrial estates count :smile:

Top Bottom