Elf and safety mate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
I live about 100 metres from our local tip/recycling place. I have just changed the oil in the Caterham and walked over to dispose of the waste oil.
I was stopped at the entrance and told in no uncertain terms that pedestrian access is no longer allowed due to elf an' safety. Not us he said, Bury Council.

Do you mean I have to put it in my car and drive in? Yes, he said. Out of the kindness of his heart he took the oil from me and poured it into the receptacle next to me.

Came home and rang the Council, after 20 minutes on hold I was told it is a private company and they can make their own rules, I asked why the council had given away the site and allow a private company to make up stupid rules, no answer. :cursing:

Drago

Legendary Member
Was the worker you spoke to driving round the site in a car in the name of health and safety ? How do people get the rubbish out of their cars and into the skip if walking on the site is so deadly?

classic33

Leg End Member
And of course, once in there everybody gets out of their cars and walks about the site!

It is the same at all of the Calderdale recycling centres. (I was told that I couldn't cycle in either.)
You've to cycle to the site office, where you'll be helped with whatever you're carrying.

Council changed the rule last year, Cllr. Barry Collins, now gone, "oversaw the change" in the rule. Sign is out of date.

Drago

Legendary Member
The jobsworths wont let me ride a horse in either.

I'd have asked the council which clause in the contract they signed with the firm allows them to restrict access to the site in this manner.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm banned from recycling full stop. I do however have a waste carriers licence, and I've applied for, and been told it doesn't cover me, a licenced keeper of a trailer.

All I need now is the appropriate photo ID in the form of the driving licence appropriate form my class of vehicle!!

classic33

Leg End Member
Got same treatment on my camel
Gave you the hump?

Slick

Guru
Your barking up the wrong tree with that one. Mixing pedestrians with vehicle movements is a huge no no and if it was your head on the block you would make the same decision. Way of the world I'm afraid.

Top Bottom