Endura padded shorts question (pro cycling related)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have started to wear Endura Pro padded shorts and am happy with them. I did a 68 miler and was reasonably OK afterwards. (I really suffer with sore bones and with my normal Funkier shorts can only manage 25/30 miles)
I need a 2nd pair but am trying to increase distance to 100 miles.
My LBS tells me I can get replica team shorts which are identical in every way to the real team shorts i.e. they measure you sit bones/leg length etc. and supply to suit.
What I cant find out is if the padding is actually any better than what is in the standard pro shorts. I read the blurb which refers to series 300/700/800 padding but that means nothing to Joe Public.
LBS answer was vague. I have emailed Endura and hopefully will get an answer soon but not holding my breath.
Just wondering if anyone on this section really knows the answer to this ?
BTW...MODS........I will also post this on the "normal clothing" section. If that is not OK please feel free to remove this one. Thanks

Last edited:

400bhp

Guru
I have started to wear Endura Pro padded shorts and am happy with them. I did a 68 miler and was reasonably OK afterwards. (I really suffer with sore bones and with my normal Funkier shorts can only manage 25/30 miles)
I need a 2nd pair but am trying to increase distance to 100 miles.
My LBS tells me I can get replica team shorts which are identical in every way to the real team shorts i.e. they measure you sit bones/leg length etc. and supply to suit.
What I cant find out is if the padding is actually any better than what is in the standard pro shorts. I read the blurb which refers to series 300/700/800 padding but that means nothing to Joe Public.
LBS answer was vague. I have emailed Endura and hopefully will get an answer soon but not holding my breath.
Just wondering if anyone on this section really knows the answer to this ?
BTW...MODS........I will also post this on the "normal clothing" section. If that is not OK please feel free to remove this one. Thanks

The padding in team kit is identical to the Endura Pro - it's "700" padding.

See here:
http://www.endurasport.com/custom/products/custom-product-detail.asp?ProductID=693

and the ones you're looing to buy here:
http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=405&initcode=E4019BK

Oddly the team kit is a little cheaper.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
To clarify.
I am 68 (69 in February) and this has been my first year of proper cycling i.e. regular and relatively decent distances.
In my Funkier shorts I can manage say, 35 miles before the pain sets in...........then it's a week before I can get on the bike again (as I'm too sore).
In my Edura Pro shorts I did a 68 miler in relative comfort and was able to do another, shorter, ride 2 days later. The difference was amazing. It has to be down to the padding thickness/design/material etc.
So my question is...........is the material in the new team copy bibs (called SL) better & assist in longer comfortable rides.
BTW Endura have now emailed me back to tell me the new padding is series 700 as against 600........but that doesn't mean anything.........so I have emailed them asking for clarification.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
The padding in team kit is identical to the Endura Pro - it's "700" padding.

See here:
http://www.endurasport.com/custom/products/custom-product-detail.asp?ProductID=693

and the ones you're looing to buy here:
http://www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID=405&initcode=E4019BK

Oddly the team kit is a little cheaper.
There seems to be something odd here as my Pro Bib shorts have the following details (as per Endura blurb)

"The updated Men’s 600 Series Gel Italian stretch pad "
I wonder if 700 is now standard and mine is last years model ?

400bhp

Guru
There seems to be something odd here as my Pro Bib shorts have the following details (as per Endura blurb)

"The updated Men’s 600 Series Gel Italian stretch pad "
I wonder if 700 is now standard and mine is last years model ?

Maybe. Anyway, 700 is the standard for their current top of the range shorts.

oldroadman

Veteran
Best quality shorts you can afford, chamois cream (or Sudocrem works well and is cheap), just a question, you are just wearing shorts, nothing under? You will toughen a bit as the tissues compress, have your riding position checked as this can cause problems if it's wrong, especially too high. To repeat the basic formula: get someone friendly to measure inside leg to floor without shoes, preferably in mm. Multiply that number by 0.883 and that should be a good basic setting for centre of bottom bracket axle to top of saddle. Start with saddle flat, don't tip the nose up. Set saddle so that tip is about 50mm back from the vertical passing through bottom bracket axle. Adjust in tiny increments if needed from there. You'll be OK, the weather will get better, more enjoyable, and by summer longer distances will come. Don't forget to cover up in the cold, keep those knees, muscles, and everything else warm. Better too warm than too cold. Best of luck, so good to see someone realise it's never too late to start!

Shaun

Founder
I've removed a number of posts that didn't offer any help to the OP (and, with apologies, some of the replies addressing the unhelpful comments).

Please keep to offering useful advice to the OP that may help him achieve his goal of better comfort on longer rides (and/or dealing with any after-effects thereof).

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

PpPete

Legendary Member
As a 'new' cyclist I suffered somewhat in the early days.
Whilst good padding certainly helps, IME it was only getting the right shape saddle that really made cycling long distances tolerable.
I tried several that were highly recommended in these pages and elsewhere, but I'd always get numb around the 'sit bones' after a couple of hours, however much padding there was.
For me (and I'd be the first one to say it's not for everyone) the answer turned out to be Brooks.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Best quality shorts you can afford, chamois cream (or Sudocrem works well and is cheap), just a question, you are just wearing shorts, nothing under? You will toughen a bit as the tissues compress, have your riding position checked as this can cause problems if it's wrong, especially too high. To repeat the basic formula: get someone friendly to measure inside leg to floor without shoes, preferably in mm. Multiply that number by 0.883 and that should be a good basic setting for centre of bottom bracket axle to top of saddle. Start with saddle flat, don't tip the nose up. Set saddle so that tip is about 50mm back from the vertical passing through bottom bracket axle. Adjust in tiny increments if needed from there. You'll be OK, the weather will get better, more enjoyable, and by summer longer distances will come. Don't forget to cover up in the cold, keep those knees, muscles, and everything else warm. Better too warm than too cold. Best of luck, so good to see someone realise it's never too late to start!
All good points..........thanks.
I wear nothing under (took a while to get my head around that idea :smile: ).
I paid good money for a bike fit and it did nothing. I then (by chance) got a free bike fit & changed the saddle AND the shorts........then immediately did the 68 miler.
I do cover up.....I suffer from the cold so, in cold weather, wear multiple layers top & bottom.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
As a 'new' cyclist I suffered somewhat in the early days.
Whilst good padding certainly helps, IME it was only getting the right shape saddle that really made cycling long distances tolerable.
I tried several that were highly recommended in these pages and elsewhere, but I'd always get numb around the 'sit bones' after a couple of hours, however much padding there was.
For me (and I'd be the first one to say it's not for everyone) the answer turned out to be Brooks.
Thanks.
I tried several different saddles with poor results. Then my LBS recommended a particular Fizik and my rides immediately went from 35 miles in pain to 68 with very little pain.
So I am happy with the saddle....I am after better padded shorts (if possible)

oldroadman

Veteran
Thanks.
I tried several different saddles with poor results. Then my LBS recommended a particular Fizik and my rides immediately went from 35 miles in pain to 68 with very little pain.
So I am happy with the saddle....I am after better padded shorts (if possible)
Shorts - Assos.Pearl Izumi, Le Col, good but not cheap. What price comfort???

Top Bottom