Endurance Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Have been looking around for a new bike purchase, ready for when I finally get my claim resolved for incident back in October.

Anyway, I have an Aero Road bike and also a reasonably Racey Geometry Road Bike that was all set up to use for hillier efforts, prior to getting damaged.

In looking around, I have found a cracking deal that I am very tempted by. The bike is firmly in the endurance/comfortable style geometry and I am just wondering how these bikes feel in comparison.

I don’t see the point of replicating the ultra stiff aero bike, so was looking for a light climbers bike before I found this deal.

I realise that I can and obviously will move between the bikes, but don’t want to be disappointed with losing that edgy feel. On the other hand, my joints might thank me on longer rides on tougher roads that I have avoided until now. What’s your experience with moving from the more aggressive geometry to a more relaxed setup?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Theres a broad spectrum of what are marketed as "endurance" from basically road bikes with slightly bigger tyres and longer head tube to bikes that have some off road capability and huge tyres.

I have a new felt V 50 which comes into the endurance category with 28c tyres and more upright position.Havent done a long ride on it yet but seams just as lively as my other road bikes. With a bit of arthritis pain now and then in my elbows I thought th bigger tyres would soften the ride a bit, So far really pleased with it .

Have been looking around for a new bike purchase, ready for when I finally get my claim resolved for incident back in October.

Anyway, I have an Aero Road bike and also a reasonably Racey Geometry Road Bike that was all set up to use for hillier efforts, prior to getting damaged.

In looking around, I have found a cracking deal that I am very tempted by. The bike is firmly in the endurance/comfortable style geometry and I am just wondering how these bikes feel in comparison.

I don’t see the point of replicating the ultra stiff aero bike, so was looking for a light climbers bike before I found this deal.

I realise that I can and obviously will move between the bikes, but don’t want to be disappointed with losing that edgy feel. On the other hand, my joints might thank me on longer rides on tougher roads that I have avoided until now. What’s your experience with moving from the more aggressive geometry to a more relaxed setup?
Slower on shorter distances(<30) quicker over longer. Easier to get on bike the next day. Less fatigued on very long (for me) rides. One if the best decisions I’ve made.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
The bike I have seen is capable of larger width tyres and potentially the lighter off road. Looks capable on the tarmac too mind you.

I guess that I would need to set it up slightly more relaxed that current bikes to get the advantage over longer rides.

I have some joints and connective tissue problems at times, so that’s part of my motivation also.

My aero frame doesn’t cause any noticeable issues though, in fairness.

Andrew_P

In between here and there

I went the other way to a lighter "faster" racier bike and my speed went down...! Personally speaking I would go now for something in-between the full on endurance with the massive headtubes look like they have gone too far and riding behind a few riders they may as well have gone for a full carbon hybrid. The special gizmos like the Handlevar suspension and rear end suspension would be me off some of them

The new synapse claims to have gone the other way a bit more racier but more comfort not been on one but any better comfort is coming from the frame design rather than something separating you from the road. Plus its not massively slopey top tubed.

You have to say what you are looking at I replaced the Endurance with a Gravel and fecking hate it!

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I have found a cracking deal that I doubt will last long, so apologies for not posting up here just yet. Just hoping that the Police get their skates on so claim can be completed.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
An endurance bike can be almost anything. Steel bikes are popular with the ultra distance riders as it is comfortable and easy to fix. I have a Genesis Croix de Fer 20. I changed the stock Alex rim wheels for a set of Hunt wheels with a SON 28 dynamo. It is a go anywhere bike and just soaks up the bumps compared to my alu or carbon bike. I can travel light or add a rack and panniers. The biggest difference has been adding aero bars. My average speed has gone from around 17kph to 22kph in the last 6 months since I fitted them.

Attachments

• 20180125_152230.jpg
    20180125_152230.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Said "Cracking Deal" is no longer such. The company concerned have put the price up 50% after I enquired with them about shipping this morning.

I am awaiting a reply on whether they will honour the price, but I am not holding my breath!

vickster

Legendary Member
They aren’t obliged if it was a pricing error

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
An endurance bike can be almost anything. Steel bikes are popular with the ultra distance riders as it is comfortable and easy to fix. I have a Genesis Croix de Fer 20. I changed the stock Alex rim wheels for a set of Hunt wheels with a SON 28 dynamo. It is a go anywhere bike and just soaks up the bumps compared to my alu or carbon bike. I can travel light or add a rack and panniers. The biggest difference has been adding aero bars. My average speed has gone from around 17kph to 22kph in the last 6 months since I fitted them.

Aero bars havent improved your average speed that much.Something else must have happened such as you have got fitter possibly?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Aero bars havent improved your average speed that much.Something else must have happened such as you have got fitter possibly?
Its only 3 mph faster . I dont see why aero bars wouldn't give you that result instantly .

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The Hunt wheels didnt hurt. Neither has riding through the winter. But the aero bars have made a big difference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom