Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
maybe missing something, am confused - I thought the cap was a legal government mandated thing.
I have been with Octopus for quite some time - am on the normal "flexible" tariff - always have been - though I understand that fixed tariffs aren't really available any more as no-one (consumers and energy suppliers) know what fresh hell may hit us all.

The cap only applies to the supplier's most basic tariff. Which is normally their standard flexible one.

Has anyone looked into buying a bit of their own windfarm as you can with Ripple ?

Worth a watch if you have the cash.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OV_diBtXC4

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Email from Bulb this morning
Based on your latest meter readings and the credit in your account, we're lowering your monthly payment amount from £50.00 to £17.48.

We've included any upcoming Energy Bills Support Scheme payments in our calculations. And your prices are protected by the Government Energy Price Guarantee, which limits the amount you can be charged for each unit of gas or electricity until 31 March 2023.

We'll make this change automatically before your next payment. If you don't want us to change your payments, you can manage your payments yourself, in your Bulb account:

This plan will leave you with enough credit so you don't go into debit later in the year. We'll keep an eye on your account to make sure you're not paying too much or too little in the future.

With the Government assistance only being a temporary thing and a predicted hike in prices looming on the next review, I went straight onto my account settings and amended the Direct Debit back to £50 to build up a decent bit of credit ready for next year.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

With the Government assistance only being a temporary thing and a predicted hike in prices looming on the next review, I went straight onto my account settings and amended the Direct Debit back to £50 to build up a decent bit of credit ready for next year.

I remember the days of £50 a month energy DD! It was about 24yrs ago :whistle:

Alex321

Veteran

Surely you would be better off putting it into an interest bearing account at your bank or building society than letting the energy company hold it for free?

May not be much interest, but you get nothing from the energy company.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Surely you would be better off putting it into an interest bearing account at your bank or building society than letting the energy company hold it for free?

May not be much interest, but you get nothing from the energy company.

By my guess I'll be about £200 in credit by the end of the Government assistance scheme which would only earn about £1 or £2 at most in interest in the same period so no great loss to me.

D

Deleted member 26715

Having problems with Octopus, when the smart meters were put in both were reporting every 30 minutes, then they stopped on the 6th November, reported it by email still awaiting for a response despite 3 reminders being sent. Also contacted via Twitter, had a couple of responses that they will investigate, the Gas has now re-appeared in the App but not the Electric which is slightly illogical as the Gas uses the Electric to report.

But the other issue I have come across is on the website we're being charges 48.45p/kWh but the App says 33.03p/kWh

All well & good not wanting to use Call Centres they are expensive, but some Customer Service needs to be maintained.

Selection_181.jpg

Screenshot_20221124-170421.png

tom73

Guru
Same issue re smart meter not working in short in our case no-one remotely cares or can be bothered to sort it.
Even with a call centre it's no guarantee you can get things fixed.

Buck

Guru
The energy price cap is 34p per kWh so maybe that will be why. The website will be showing the pre price cap (aka real) price?

Top Bottom