energy powder/drinks for taking abroad on holiday ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Eat proper food before riding. Take proper food to eat during the ride. Hopefully this will not 'over ride' your gut feeling.
Can I ask (not being confrontational)............how old are you ? What health do you have ?
I am 70 and "enjoyed" 4 cancer ops and 8 'orrible treatments in the last 4 years.
The same issues still apply Dave, whether you're 70 or 17. It's not needed.
You didn't answer...............how old are you ? what has your health been like?
I am all in favour of suggestions but if you (or me) are not in the other peoples shoes............you cannot/should not make definitive statements.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nasty nasty stuff. Have you seen what it does if you leave a 3d piece soaking in it :smile:
Besides that........I only enjoy it if diluted with whisky.
If you've still got a threepenny piece its likely worth more than the coke you're soaking it in!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Have to agree with that sentiment. All too often the OP asks what (to him) is a sensible & pleasant question only to be shot down. I am all for a bit of banter but we shouldn't just over ride the OP's question/feelings/thoughts.
It was questioning the "necessity" that bugged me. Who cares if it's "necessary" or not? It's irrelevant. Maybe the OP just likes the taste.

I sometimes put water with a squirt of lemon juice in my bottle on the bike sometimes, despite the fact that I am fully aware that the likelihood of my developing scurvy while out on a ride is not high enough to warrant it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Nasty nasty stuff. Have you seen what it does if you leave a 3d piece soaking in it :smile:
Besides that........I only enjoy it if diluted with whisky.
Try the same with a sugar loaded energy drink, I expect a not dissimilar outcome. Maybe check the 'ingredients' of your selected product.

I like an ice cold Fanta limon when in Spain myself

Ajax Bay

Guru
how old are you ? What health do you have ?
Dave - I am in awe of you cracking on with your cycling with the health challenges to which you've alluded. I hope I'm cycling at your age. At about 6:30am on Sunday I rode alongside another 70+ year old at the 380km point of the BCM 600 audax, who then caught me at the top of a hill which took more than 45 minutes to climb (in North Wales). I was massively impressed with him, despite senior grumbling about how age was eroding his power and make climbing harder. He had water in his bottles and a 32t largest sprocket.
I do possess a Senior Railcard and, compared to you it seems, have had minimal health problems (touch wood).
But I don't see why you think (imply) that eating proper food is a poorer option than powdered stuff. And if I was going to take powdered stuff on a ride like the one you described, I would stick with the powder you know and which agrees with you/your gut, and not go out and get some random sachets of powder.
Remember that the makers/sellers of powdered stuff and 'energy drinks' have a strong commercial interest in encouraging people to think that such hydration/nutrition is vital to a rider's performance, however short the ride.
As far as @S-Express is concerned, be aware that he can ride with his heart rate at 170bpm for more than 3 hours, no problems (he has said) so I don't think he has a Senior Railcard. But his advice (above) is still good, even if he's really young.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Who cares if it's "necessary" or not? ... Maybe the OP just likes the taste.

View: https://youtu.be/xUFQ2ECfPOw

S-Express

You didn't answer...............how old are you ? what has your health been like?

You didn't ask. My age and health are irrelevant - as are yours. An energy drink is not required for rides of that duration. It simply should not be necessary if you are already consuming a normal, balanced (or even unbalanced) diet.

I am all in favour of suggestions but if you (or me) are not in the other peoples shoes............you cannot/should not make definitive statements.

Definitively, it is not necessary to drink an energy drink in advance of the type of rides you are describing, assuming you are following a normal diet.

Top Bottom