Etape caledonia 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmmm. Had a look at this one. Probably one I'd be best leaving until next year. How would it compare to our little recent 50 miler?

magnatom said:
Hmmm. Had a look at this one. Probably one I'd be best leaving until next year. How would it compare to our little recent 50 miler?
There were some seriously fit people doing it sub 4hrs (I think 3:39 was first, I was 4:21) but other people took it at their own pace and done it in around 6hrs +. Course wise its fairly easy mostly flat, except for Schiehallion and even that was a gentle climb. I don't think it'd be harder than the recent 50 miler. The bigger pack also makes it easier you get sucked along.

HLaB said:
There were some seriously fit people doing it sub 4hrs (I think 3:39 was first, I was 4:21) but other people took it at their own pace and done it in around 6hrs +. Course wise its fairly easy mostly flat, except for Schiehallion and even that was a gentle climb. I don't think it'd be harder than the recent 50 miler. The bigger pack also makes it easier you get sucked along.

More Hmmm. It's a bit of a pain that you have to turn up the day before to register and then have an early start the next day. I'm not sure I could justify staying over.

I'll probably leave it until next year, when I have a few more miles in my legs!

Alves

magnatom said:
I'll probably leave it until next year, when I have a few more miles in my legs!
It is quite early in the year so its always when my fitness is not the best.
It is however great fun above all. It is very competitive for some but mostly just a huge day out on closed roads with like minded folk so it is a hoot:tongue:
The expense and faff is considerable as well unfortunately but worth it.

Noodley

Alves said:
It is quite early in the year so its always when my fitness is not the best.

Would now be a bad time to remind you that you, I, MercuryKev and a few others shall be riding a 400km the week before the Etape? :biggrin:

Alves

Noodley said:
Would now be a bad time to remind you that you, I, MercuryKev and a few others shall be riding a 400km the week before the Etape? :smile:
I'm hoping it'll be a good training run.
This (the etape) is the only ride I do competitively and the only one I've had to be helped off the bike from I was so knackered. I actually don't like my nasty competitive streak and have always tried to disown it. The EC brings it out though.
Several friends were dropped because they were too slow last year!
I would always stop if someone I was riding with got a flat but clearly never would on the EC. I'd lend someone some food or water on a ride or on an Audax, encourage them up a hill, pace them etc .....on the EC however.
Not my best side, it is fun tho'

De Sisti

Veteran
HLaB said:
According to the local paper, 2700 have signed up so far and they will have to cap it to 3500 its so popular.

Is there a list of all of the entrants on the organiser's website yet?

kennykool

Rode this event last year (my first EVER ride this length) and loved it. I have signe dmyself and 9 other friends up for it this year.

Great day, well organised entry fee a bit high but worth EVERY penny in my opinion.

Schehallion is the climb and it was tough but once your up....coming down the other side is soooooo much fun....60kmh I clocked myself at. On top of this it's closed roads so you dont have to worry about something coming the other way.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnwQzdb3_Uc

Check out this link for a flyover of the course.!

See some of you there...team colours yet to be decided

OP
OP
LeeW

LeeW

I wonder if anyone else is gonna take a helmet cam? I'm thinking of taking one. I will edit the footage down to about 10 mins and pop it on the you tube.

LeeW said:
I wonder if anyone else is gonna take a helmet cam? I'm thinking of taking one. I will edit the footage down to about 10 mins and pop it on the you tube.
I don't think I will, my cam weighs nearly as much as my bike, its about as aerodynamic as a brick and my card would be full 1/2 way :biggrin: but it'll be nice to see your footage :becool:, 4 hours in to 10 mins will be quite a challenge :smile:. Not that it'll make much difference but 10:59 is the youtube limit, I've uploaded 10:58.

kennykool

One of my group is taking a head cam and is going to soundtrack the interesting parts of the route himself. Then get it on You Tube

Quite a talented musician By the way!!!

Alves

The locals in Pitlochry have now had info that the roads will be closed from 6.30am onwards and I think that means if you selected an early seed/start time you'll be starting about then.
Hardly worth going to bed!

Top Bottom