Etape Caledonia 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Waspie

Über Member
kfinlay said:
Am I right in saying it's £56 plus a min of £150 sponsorship to be raised to enter?
Seems like a lot compared to other more difficult sportives but I take it that is due to the roads getting closed adding to the cost of organisation, so is it worth it?

You only need to raise sponsorship if you take one of the MacMillan places. Last year they were still available once 'normal' entries were closed.

I did the event last year as well as a few cheaper, more difficult sportives. On balance I would say the £56 fee is worth it. I really enjoyed the closed roads, gives the event a completely different feel to the other sportives I've done.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
I see, well it looks like it's only those places left now so will see what my plans are for the whole year and how that could fit in - it looks straight forward enough as only 1 hill to consider pity I've never done over 40 miles :laugh: as not been able to get comfortable on the bike for more than 2 hrs. It's still an event that you need to be able to say that you've done even if it's not as much of a challenge as some others xx(.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
kfinlay said:
I see, well it looks like it's only those places left now so will see what my plans are for the whole year and how that could fit in - it looks straight forward enough as only 1 hill to consider pity I've never done over 40 miles xx( as not been able to get comfortable on the bike for more than 2 hrs. It's still an event that you need to be able to say that you've done even if it's not as much of a challenge as some others :smile:.
Most people quote the "only 1 hill to consider" - until they turn sharp left at Logierait towards Dunfallandy. :laugh: It's short but steep, comes after 70+ miles and has been known to catch out a few :tongue:.

You'll be fine and fit by then, though :biggrin:

Riding with 3,800 others can be a challenge too, in its own way ...

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
scoosh said:
Most people quote the "only 1 hill to consider" - until they turn sharp left at Logierait towards Dunfallandy. :smile: It's short but steep, comes after 70+ miles and has been known to catch out a few :biggrin:.

You'll be fine and fit by then, though :biggrin:

Riding with 3,800 others can be a challenge too, in its own way ...

Will take on board your advice Scoosh :smile: May even take a run up that way and cycle the route beforehand as my mate is planning the Fred Whittle instead so would be good for us to both have a recce ride some time before the main day.

Riding with so many others is another thing I'm looking forward too and on closed roads - will have enough to concentrate on without worrying about cars :wacko:

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Well I know I'm late but that's me put my entry in so first Sportive in May :laugh:
Just got to get rid of this freezing weather and get some training in now but will make do with my cross trainer till then. Also planning Trossachs Ton then the Ken Laidlaw, Fred Whittle can wait til next year :laugh:

adscrim

Veteran
kfinlay said:
Also planning Trossachs Ton then the Ken Laidlaw, Fred Whittle can wait til next year :laugh:

You can now do the Fred Whitton challenge course any time of year - the Fred Whitton Four Seasons. They provide electronic timing chips to be swiped on boxes placed along the course.

The regular event gets so over subscribed they now operate a ballot for places.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Yeah I saw that adscrim but would like to be part of the main event so help push me to a better time - if I get a lotto place that is (don't think I'd do a sponsored placed)

LynnA

A very non-technical question - how do you know what entrant number you are?

adscrim

Veteran
you don't yet. the organisers will send out entrant information, including start times and numbers, closer to the day.

any numbers you've seen here relate to the total number of entrants any any given time.

LeeW

yippie, Finished in 3:59:09
Also managed to come 370th in KOTM, not bad considering some say 'bents cannot climb.

gordondshaw

Good time LeeW. Me and a pal set ourselves a goal of breaking the 5hr barrier in a Sportive for the first time and romped in witha time of 4:22.. Long way off your time, but we were absolutely delighted. Was a fantastic day, the only downside being my computer chip didn't activate!! Managed to have a good climb in the KOTM stage which my Garmin timed at 22:21 puting me in 225th place which made my day.

Top Bottom