Etape Caledonia 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Noodley said:
But do not in any way think this is a hilly sportive. It is not. It is an opportunity to ride on closed roads and get a fast time over the distance, there are few hills to contend with.

Indeed. I certainly didn't want to suggest that the Etape Caledonia route is a hilly one, but I remember my first attempt at reasonable hill and having not done it before it was quite a shock. Getting some hills in before will mean that you won't have anything to worry about with regards to hills on the ride itself and you can enjoy the ride.

I must admit I am really looking forward to it. I hade immense fun at the Trossachs Ton last year when I hooked up with a Peloton for the first time. It's an amazing experience. That was on open roads, so I can't wait for the same on closed roads! ;)

adscrim

Veteran
magnatom said:
Indeed. I certainly didn't want to suggest that the Etape Caledonia route is a hilly one,

It very much depends on whos eyes the route is viewed with. I don't think it's a hilly route, indeed I've stated such in this very thread. However, my wife has decided to enter and we took a drive to Rannoch with the kids and cycled round loch rannoch (very pleasurable if you get the chance). She has not cycled far in the past and when she has, it has been a gentle amble with kids on the bikes. On the drive over the Rannoch from the A9, the route the course takes, she was watching a road I referred to as some 'ups and downs' and questioning her decision. That got me thinking and I remembered that I saw people labouring on pretty much every incline. So while around half of the course is billiard table flat, there are some hills and getting some hilly miles into your legs will do you nothing but good.

LeeW

I've done the Lakeland loop (Includes Whinlatter, Wrynose and Hardknott) so I know what a proper hilly sportive is like, the etape caledonia is flat in comparison. I managed 19.5mph (computera) avg last year but was slowed somewhat by the tacks. I hope to break evens this year.

Noodley

LeeW said:
I've done the Lakeland loop (Includes Whinlatter, Wrynose and Hardknott) so I know what a proper hilly sportive is like, the etape caledonia is flat in comparison. I managed 19.5mph (computera) avg last year but was slowed somewhat by the tacks. I hope to break evens this year.

I'll be on your wheel :wacko:

r0bbti

I too have entered this and am now having serious doubts. It is 81 miles with 6000ft of ascent, I think. Last weekend I cycled a 50mile loop which I thought was pretty hilly, BUT on putting it into the elevation bit of the bikehike website, it turned out to be less than 2000ft of ascent! I just cannot imagine being able to cycle another 30miles AND another 4000ft of climbing, I was totally knackered!!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

r0bbti said:
I too have entered this and am now having serious doubts. It is 81 miles with 6000ft of ascent, I think. Last weekend I cycled a 50mile loop which I thought was pretty hilly, BUT on putting it into the elevation bit of the bikehike website, it turned out to be less than 2000ft of ascent! I just cannot imagine being able to cycle another 30miles AND another 4000ft of climbing, I was totally knackered!!

You'll be fine. I had a quick look for a route online and the one I looked at suggested that the EC has just over 4000 feet of climbing. You will also be doing this as a group and the group, pulls you along. It's amazing how much difference it makes.

Last year I did the Trossachs Ton (100 miles) and the furthest I had cycled until then was 50 miles. If you can cycle 50 miles just now (an you have this winter and spring to keep training) then you will have no problems.:thumbsup:

P.S. Post the route you cycled and we can let you know if it was hilly or not! :smile:

r0bbti

I'm sure there is some fancy technical way of posting a route but I dont know it! Anyway, it went in a big circle in the Borders from Heriot, down to Stow then Clovenfords, then back along NCN1 to Innerleithen and back up (over the Moorfoots) to Heriot.

Waspie

Über Member
r0bbti said:
I'm sure there is some fancy technical way of posting a route but I dont know it! Anyway, it went in a big circle in the Borders from Heriot, down to Stow then Clovenfords, then back along NCN1 to Innerleithen and back up (over the Moorfoots) to Heriot.

That's a route I do on occasion except the other way round, heading to Innerleithen first.

I would say that it's a tougher route than the Etape Caledonia route, only one decent hill on the Etape and couple of lumpy bits. The rest is almost flat.

Don't think there is a flat bit on the whole of the route you posted. You'll be fine.

just jim

An email received today from IMG suggests to book now before possible sell out in the new year. O.k, so it's a bit of hype, but if you are serious about doing it then don't leave it too late.

r0bbti

thanks for the encouragement, everyone. Maybe if the wind drops and the rain stops, I'll get out there again. Must practise more hills!

LeeW

I'm not sure where the climbing figures the organisers quote come from but although I cannot remember the exact number on my altimeter I know it was much less and many others have also mentioned that the 'official' figures seem higher than it really is.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
r0bbti said:

Try bikemap.net, it is easy... ;)

Top Bottom