Etape Caledonia 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
scook94 said:
Think we might need something a bit tougher to train on than the North Third! Have you tried it yet on the new bike?

Not been out on it yet other than a couple of rides to work. I'm waiting for some thinner bars (width wise) and a gear tune up once I fit the bars. Hoping to go out on the Stirling Bike Club run this weekend, if not, I'll be going out on my own!

Anyway, North Third isn't that easy, especially if you combine it with an addition 30 miles round Kippen and back!

scook94

Veteran
eldudino said:
Not been out on it yet other than a couple of rides to work. I'm waiting for some thinner bars (width wise) and a gear tune up once I fit the bars. Hoping to go out on the Stirling Bike Club run this weekend, if not, I'll be going out on my own!

Are you a member? How is it, and what are the club runs like?

eldudino said:
Anyway, North Third isn't that easy, especially if you combine it with an addition 30 miles round Kippen and back!

Too true!

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
scook94 said:
Are you a member? How is it, and what are the club runs like?

Not been on one yet, tried to go out with the development ride (1st Saturday of every month) last week but it was called off due to the wind so we went for a coffee in BoA instead! Seemed like a good crowd and they said I should try the intermediate run so I was planning on going along on Saturday as the weather's looking fine.

Not a member yet, but I'm thinking of joining for the benefits of getting discounts at the local shops!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Go on guys you know you want to. Just don't expect the same rules as a CC ride. I won't be waiting for you...:blush::biggrin:

(I've just set myself up for a fall, haven't I! :smile:)

adscrim

Veteran
Geraldom said:
I'm signed up.The thought of closed roads sounds bliss,but Schiehallion scares me a wee bit. should it ?

G

Absolutely not. It's actually quite an enjoyable climb - some steepish twisty sections but lots of recovery. It does drag a little towards the top but being surounded by like minded souls makes it good fun. Most importantly though, knowing there is nothing coming the other way on the descent is well worth the effort. Just pretend you're Cancellara and go for it.

Geraldom

Excellent news:biggrin: i'm ok on hills but had in my mind this may be beast.

Yup, i'm hoping to put decent decents together on basis of no boy racers in other direction...

is it fast course ? headwinds ?

G

adscrim

Veteran
Geraldom said:
is it fast course ? headwinds ?

G

Other that some ups and downs at the beginning and end, plus the bump in the middle, it's pretty much flat so you should be able to get a fast ride out of it.

LeeW

Only 6 months to go :tongue:
Already thinking about it.
Will I be seeing anyone else at the backpackers hotel?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

pickup1980 said:
whats the best training for this ride

Riding your bike! ;)

Seriously, get out on your bike as much as you can and build up the miles, aiming to have done at least 50 miles before the sportive. Make sure you have some significant hills in your routes so that on the day of the sportive you aren't shocked by your first proper hill.

The more hilly miles you have in your legs beforehand the better.

Also aim to have average speeds of more than 13mph if you can, as this is the cut-off speed for the closed roads.

Good luck.

Noodley

magnatom said:
The more hilly miles you have in your legs beforehand the better.

But do not in any way think this is a hilly sportive. It is not. It is an opportunity to ride on closed roads and get a fast time over the distance, there are few hills to contend with.

Top Bottom