Etape Caledonia Recce Ride - 11th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TechMech

Noodley said:
Anyone got links to a map of the full route or a shorter version - if so can you post a link and I can then do a bit of editing so they are in the OP.

Here you go from the official site

Looking at the map you can cut the route short at three places along the top road passing the lochs, and you can always cut off the dog leg through Fortingall if need be (which is I believe what some did after the punctures last year)

scook94

Veteran

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
scoosh said:
I intend to be there to check the legs and see how much more work will need to be done prior to THE EVENT.
Intentions are grand things, eh ?

Not going to make it on the 11th, I'm afraid, I have an alternate appointment.;) I might try and sneak round the day before, tho' ;)

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Sorry to hear that scoosh, I'd been looking forward to hearing about your plans to not ride the Snow Roads ;)

Seamab

scoosh said:
Intentions are grand things, eh ?

Not going to make it on the 11th, I'm afraid, I have an alternate appointment.:biggrin: I might try and sneak round the day before, tho' :angry:

I'm out as well. Required elsewhere as my children's taxi driver.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Just had a bit of a wake-up call today as I was out for a 45 mile ride (only the second time I've done over 38 miles) and was knackered at the end of it and my legs had had enough. It was a big loop and for about 2/3's of it I had 20mph cross or head winds and gusts a lot worse so a lot of pedal work on flats and hills (and some slight downhills too)! I had one stop of about 10-15mins but that was to drop my saddle height a touch and also my bars and had a little bite to eat then too. I've only been able to start going longer distances as the saddle I'm using isn't hurting my bones like any previous ones I've used but it's making me doubt I'll manage the whole recce ride on 11th. Here's hoping it isn't as windy to give me a chance.

Loop was Cardenden, Lochgelly, Ballingry, Scotlandwell, Milnathort, Kinross, up Cleish hill and back down the same side, Crook o Devon, (past SEAMAB school), Powmill, Knockhill, Dunduff, Old Bus Museum, Kelty, Cowdenbeath, Lochgelly and back to Cardenden for those that know the area.

ACS

Legendary Member
Kfinlay

Sorry for my non appreance at Milnathort this lunch time. Had a run out but it was a bit of a disaster. Set out, had a *visit* near Falkland, snapped my chain half way up Falkland Hill, climbing Falkland Hill into a 25 mph head wind, not clever, granny ring used in real anger. So having done a running repair on the chain I turned for home and let the wind do the work. Just not my day today. :tongue:

Fitted a new chain this afternoon and gave the mighty steed a bit of a spruce up. Again my apologies the intention was the there but sometimes....................

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Hey don't worry SB, these things happen, just glad you were able to get home again as thats a lot walk home!
The wind made things pretty tough out there, even worse this morning I reckon. I'll have to do at least 50 mile next weekend to help with the recce ride the follwing week, pity the forecast foir the next week looks rubbish - April showers!
Maybe catch up with you another weekend at Milnathort or there abouts.

themightyw

I wouldn't worry too much kfinlay. I was out yesterday and the head wind was brutal. I struggled to make 13mph average on the way out on a 40 mile loop out to Falkland. That said, on the way back i hit 42mph numerous times!

I find headwinds really exhausting, and it always makes you feel worse the day after because you use a lot of core muscles also.

SB - if you fancy any rides in the next week or so just shout.

Stephen-D

kfinlay said:
Just had a bit of a wake-up call today as I was out for a 45 mile ride (only the second time I've done over 38 miles) and was knackered at the end of it and my legs had had enough. It was a big loop and for about 2/3's of it I had 20mph cross or head winds and gusts a lot worse so a lot of pedal work on flats and hills (and some slight downhills too)! I had one stop of about 10-15mins but that was to drop my saddle height a touch and also my bars and had a little bite to eat then too. I've only been able to start going longer distances as the saddle I'm using isn't hurting my bones like any previous ones I've used but it's making me doubt I'll manage the whole recce ride on 11th. Here's hoping it isn't as windy to give me a chance.

Loop was Cardenden, Lochgelly, Ballingry, Scotlandwell, Milnathort, Kinross, up Cleish hill and back down the same side, Crook o Devon, (past SEAMAB school), Powmill, Knockhill, Dunduff, Old Bus Museum, Kelty, Cowdenbeath, Lochgelly and back to Cardenden for those that know the area.

Sounds like a pretty decent one mate :wacko: i work in a lot of ex mining villages so i know a lot of where you went :biggrin:

good you done that sort of distance to. cross winds make it feel sooo much worse to.

viniga

Guru
Yeah, windy windy windy yesterday (and today, and the rest of the week). 63 miles yesterday but I manged to keep going and in the end the wind cost me about 30 minutes. A lot of it is psychological - get into the best aero position you can - hands each side of stem for me, drop the back, drop a gear and keep going. I find if you try to keep the same speed you would normally go at you will just knacker yourself.

Cross winds with bladed spokes and slightly deep rims at 30mph made for brown shorts.

The wind on the lochs can be fierce - it's something we can't control though and if it's windy on the day everyone will be slowed.

Still hope to see you all on the 11th.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Nobody need worry - I'll win the 'who is cycling the least' award by a long way! Not out yesterday and not looking as if I'll be out today, and the rest of the week does not look too promising for getting out either. :wacko:

I am sure I'll be okay on the day, but reckon I might be a candidate for the shorter route on the recce ride.

themightyw

Yep, today was madness again. Went out around Tayport / Newport and the wind was so fierce I was going 10mph when it was head on. Will take 3 or 4 spare pairs of shorts next time I encounter a crosswind like that...

Just very, very glad that I was too late to enter for the 200km Canny Man audax I planned to do - I woulnd't have stood a hope in hell.

ACS

Legendary Member
themightyw said:
I wouldn't worry too much kfinlay. I was out yesterday and the head wind was brutal. I struggled to make 13mph average on the way out on a 40 mile loop out to Falkland. That said, on the way back i hit 42mph numerous times!

I find headwinds really exhausting, and it always makes you feel worse the day after because you use a lot of core muscles also.

SB - if you fancy any rides in the next week or so just shout.

Chris

No can do next weekend, daughter is over from NI and I wil have to get my grand-dad head out of the fun box :biggrin:

The following week (Sat 10 Apr) would be good. Know you are tight on time so you can let me know closer to the time.

kennykool

Noodley said:
Nobody need worry - I'll win the 'who is cycling the least' award by a long way! Not out yesterday and not looking as if I'll be out today, and the rest of the week does not look too promising for getting out either. :tongue:

I am sure I'll be okay on the day, but reckon I might be a candidate for the shorter route on the recce ride.

No Noodley No - I was looking for you to join me and the Leith Wheelers for the full course and a double hit at the big climb. Come on....you know you want to.

Top Bottom