Etape Caledonia Recce Ride - 11th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

the dark side said:
yeh cheers lads, had a great day, and the pace was just about fine for a nice day out in the hills. :smile:

Glad you enjoyed it and good meeting you...not too sure about the pace being just about fine tho :wacko::sad:

themightyw

Cracking company (a pleasure to meet you all), stunning scenery and top notch weather for my longest ride to date. My culinary advice, however, is to avoid the sausage rolls in future.

Legs were running a bit on empty for the last 15 miles or so, but I'm convinced that's purely because of the additional 3 miles Noodley andI chose to do.

Thanks all!

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Yeah I had a great day although the pace was quicker than I thought, I think I did okay and just about kept up with the group any idea of me doing the event in 4Hr30 have just flown out the window and I'll be more than happy doing anywhere near 5 hours.
All was going well until I was pushing hard up a hill when there was a big snap :wacko: turns out I had ripped my rear derailleur in two. The bolt was still in the hanger but the rest of it had snapped off. Luckily no damage to the rest of the bike but had to remove the derailleur and walk/freewheel until my mate John came back with my car to pick me up.

Champ_Derailleur_1.jpg

Have emailed Chain Reaction Cycles in the hope that they can help.

Good to chat to everyone although pity quite a few didn't make it - your loss guys as we couldn't have had better conditions and company.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
kfinlay said:
Yeah I had a great day although the pace was quicker than I thought, I think I did okay and just about kept up with the group any idea of me doing the event in 4Hr30 have just flown out the window and I'll be more than happy doing anywhere near 5 hours.
All was going well until I was pushing hard up a hill when there was a big snap :sad: turns out I had ripped my rear derailleur in two. The bolt was still in the hanger but the rest of it had snapped off. Luckily no damage to the rest of the bike but had to remove the derailleur and walk/freewheel until my mate John came back with my car to pick me up.

:smile: glad nothing got stuck in the spokes when that happened!
Hope you can sort it easily.

So how many CC Ecossers turned up in the end? Any photos, just to make the rest of us jealous? It's a beautiful area ... :wacko:

[off topic - What's the snow situation like higher up? Enough to go ski touring without too much carrying of skis or has it been melting rapidly?]

T

themightyw

Telemark said:
What's the snow situation like higher up? Enough to go ski touring without too much carrying of skis or has it been melting rapidly?

Only tiny wee splodges of the stuff in sheltered wee nooks. I wouldn't rush over there with my skis :wacko:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
themightyw said:
Only tiny wee splodges of the stuff in sheltered wee nooks. I wouldn't rush over there with my skis :smile:

A fellow ski tourer? :sad:

On the positive side, couldn't wish for better cycling weather :wacko:
T

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Telemark said:
So how many CC Ecossers turned up in the end? Any photos, just to make the rest of us jealous? It's a beautiful area ... :tongue:

Me, eck, themightyw, kfinlay and viniga....and the dark side who joined after the ride...and one of my clubmates.

I was so busy just trying to keep up with viniga (and failing miserably) to be able to take pics...although the scenery was stunning especially at Loch Rannoch.

viniga

Guru
Wonderful route, company and perfect weather. I wish I had brought a camera, snowtopped mountains, mirror lochs, breathtaking.

Sorry if others sped up to keep up, that wasn't my intention but nevertheless you all 'kept up' admirably, smiled and chatted which kindof made me think you were all enjoying yourselves ;) There was some (Neil) that I was keeping up with - just!

I got a tow now and again too and was happy to reciprocate, so my pleasure Eck.

I must apologise for my squeaky bike.

KFinlay - do not be disheartened, once your derailleur is repaired :tongue: see if you can get some group riding in. I think you can take more advantage of it. On the day find riders to wheelsuck as much as you can, there will be pleny around - don't feel bad about it and maybe that time might be closer than you think. Half the battle is in the head.

Great to meet you all!

Viniga

And finally, thanks for organising Noodley

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
viniga said:
And finally, thanks for organising Noodley
Surely an impossible task ??? :sad:

Delighted to hear you all had a great time. ;) :biggrin: :sad:

I'm in the process of replacing the bearings in my rear hub, as it has started to make more noise than it used to do xx( and it needs to be right for the Pitlochry 150 :smile:.

r0bbti

Blimey! Did you lot do the whole route AND at about 17mph?! I am glad I couldnt make it - my average 13mph would have seen me lagging just a bit behind!

themightyw

Average for me was 16.2mph and I was probably the slowest there and struggling by the end! Here's the data from my garmin (not sure if this will show correctly):

Clicky

Bear in mind that Noodley and I took a few scenic detours because we didn't feel the actual mileage was sufficient... actual miles should have been a couple less.

viniga

Guru
Bear in mind that Noodley and I took a few scenic detours because we didn't feel the actual mileage was sufficient... actual miles should have been a couple less.[/QUOTE said:
Sorry about that, we hadn't realised you hadn't made the turn till a fair bit of time had passed. Neil and I were doing turns at the front to try and keep momentum up against the headwind. :smile:

The overall group speed was very respectable. If more had come along we could have split up more.

Top Bottom