Evans Cycles - Good or bad experiences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thedrew85

Regular
Evening, I just wanted to pose a question;

I have had three shopping at my local Evans Cycles (Milton Keynes) branch. All three have been terrible!!

In stark contrast, I've used number of other shops both independent and chains, and the service has been such that I've not been worried about handing over my hard earned money.

They say a customer who has a good experience will tell one of their friends and a customer who has had a bad experience will tell all of their friends....

So if you're in the Milton Keynes area and looking to buy anything bike related.....spend your money at Phil Corleys.

Do not spend a single penny at Evans Cycles Milton Keynes.

Be interested if anyone else has similar experiences....

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've found Evans to be one of the better bike shops to go in. I find I get sterotyped in my LBS's, I've had some shoot customer service over the years and feel like I don't get treated as some of their other customers. I feel like they don't think I have money to spend so they aren't interested in making sales with me.
I've had issues with poor services at evans, even bikes that were not really road worth and they have sorted them out every time with no fuss. A member of staff is always willing to talk to you. It's why out of my last 6 bikes, 5 have been bought from evans and only 1 from an LBS. the LBS did not keep me up to date about my order and how long it would take. Then on delivery they supplied a wheelset which I did not order and failed to inform me about!

I find getting a service at my lbs a pain. It takes a week. Where as if I need something done with Evans I can drop it off on my way to work and pick it up on the way home, everything is sorted.

It's swings and roundabouts, we all get different service from different places and the evans in west croydon was one of the best bike shops I have ever used. Unfortunately it's closed now :sad:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As a recent returnee to cycling, I've bought quite a lot of bits and pieces in the last few months.

Evans at the MetroCentre, Gateshead, is underwhelming,

The staff seem disinterested, and despite it being a large store, the range of accessories is not wide and lot of it looks over-priced in comparison to other shops.

Halfords at Team Valley is much better, and Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op in Byker, Newcastle, better still.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think any retail experience is down in large part to the shop floor staff. Having managed a shop I can say that it's all about how customers are treated, any failing is due to that companies' HR department.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One of the best bike shop experiences I have ever had was at Evan's in Crawley. Had a major mechanical which ripped the derailleur off and twisted the chain. Luckily Evans was about a mile away so managed to scoot the bike there. The guys at Evan's took the bike in straight away and told me to go for a coffee whilst they sorted it. They called when it was done and I was back on my way within 40 minutes. Awesome service. Sent an email to head office telling them so.

jayonabike