Evans Cycles - Good or bad experiences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ciar

Veteran
As a recent returnee to cycling, I've bought quite a lot of bits and pieces in the last few months.

Evans at the MetroCentre, Gateshead, is underwhelming,

The staff seem disinterested, and despite it being a large store, the range of accessories is not wide and lot of it looks over-priced in comparison to other shops.

Halfords at Team Valley is much better, and Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op in Byker, Newcastle, better still.

I use Evans from time to time in Canary Wharf, in general they are okay, but as you said they do seem to be disinterested, also the other thing is, as it's one of their small stores they generally don't have half the items instore that I want to purchase..

now I save myself and just visit my LBS, they do my bike services, they are a great couple of guys to have a chat with, give pointers I just save my buying for when I visit them, in all honesty for it's about personal service, if it's good they get my cash.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Last time they didn't refund me though I bought the bike. I mean £50 is nothing if you nick off with the bike is it, you could use a dodgy card and do one and £50 isn't really going to make up the £950 loss.

I don't think EBC use this system neither my LBS.

Why didn't they refund you? They took the amount off the total price right?

I found them good on price (bicycle and components).

Poor on PDI for the bike (kid-sized Trek road bike I picked up in-store).

Good (but belatedly so) on making up for the non-PDI and change of spec from what I was told when ordering.

I no longer use them. Although the smiley-smily apology was nice to receive, as was their paying my LBS to PDI the thing, I found the service within the store poor. I'd been told on the 'phone that a good deal could be done from flats to SPDs... But in-store the guy said this wasn't policy. It sounded like it was when I was paying over the 'phone... It seemed inconsistent and slightly grubby. Buying a bicycle for a child should be a little more joyful. The assistant in the shop didn't want to be there.

But it's a shop, not a governmental policy decision. If they have a good price on a saddle I want, I'll shop there.

Leodis

Veteran
Why didn't they refund you? They took the amount off the total price right?

No they didnt, tbh it was a couple of weeks after I picked up on it. I wasnt that bothered as I got some free kit out of them by mistake. As I mentioned I had my bike serviced by them, the gears are cracking now but the front disc is catching (which I hope to have sorted).

tbh Leeds centre isnt the best testing a new bike which heavy traffic around it. If I drove I probs would have used Castleford store.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No they didnt, tbh it was a couple of weeks after I picked up on it. I wasnt that bothered as I got some free kit out of them by mistake. As I mentioned I had my bike serviced by them, the gears are cracking now but the front disc is catching (which I hope to have sorted).

tbh Leeds centre isnt the best testing a new bike which heavy traffic around it. If I drove I probs would have used Castleford store.

Yup that's not good if they forgot to refund you. But also not great on your part forgetting as well.

Reactions: gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Bought and had my bike serviced (yesterday actually) and its pretty much mixed, some are cool and others just don't give a flip about a smile.

Not keen on the £50 deposit for testing bikes, thats one thing which would put me off buying from the again.
The 50 isn't for test riding the bike. The 50 is for bringing the bike into the store and building it for you to test ride. There are shipping costs and man hours. You do get this money back / knocked off if you buy the bike.
To test ride a bike they take a 1p charge from your card, this is so if you steal it they can claim who was riding it and who is liable for the costs.

Teuchter

Über Member
Evans at Xscape Braehead (near Renfrew) is the closest bike shop to my route home from work so I occasionally go in if I need anything. Never bought a bike from them or had one serviced there so can't comment on their mechanical skills, only customer service.

I've always had a good experience with their staff, for the most part coming across as friendly and keen to help. For example once I was going in to buy a light but on getting there realised I'd forgotten my bike lock. I walked into the shop wheeling my bike and someone immediately offered to stick it behind the counter for me while I had a look around.

Reminded me of what the owner of Billy Bilsland's bikes on Glasgow High Street said to me when he caught me locking my bike up outside his shop. "Don't bother with that, bring the bike in... it'll be a sad day when you can't take your bike into a bicycle shop!"

400bhp

Guru
Evans Manchester city centre - used many times, including purchasing a bike from them. Always very helpful and prepared to spend time with you. All the staff are relatively young and seem keen cyclists too.

The only gripe I've had with them was over a pair of Endura overshoes which started to fall apart after 2 weeks. They wouldn't replace/refund but to be honest the discussion we had over them was a reasonable one.

Mallory

I've had mixed results at my local evans! It depends on the staff member. On my last couple of visits I've encountered a new face. What a knobhead!!!

They are handy for price matching & getting the items delivered to store for collection.

Seeing them trying to wiggle out of simple set up issues was slightly embarassing

swede54

I've had completely opposite experience to thedrew85. The staff and Evans MK have always been pleasant and helpful and whenever I go into Corleys I invariably get ignored.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
I find their on-line shopping to be top notch - I've never had a problem with anything I've ordered.

I bought my first road bike from them and unfortunately they sold me one that was a size too big for me. I tried the bike in the shop and the chap asked if it was comfy and I said yes because it felt like it was. I bought the bike and after a few miles riding I was getting backache but thought it was because I wasn't used to the riding position. I kept at it for a couple of years before I finally gave in and realised the bike wasn't right for me. I've now got a smaller frame and it's fantastic.
I would now be very cautious about recommending them for selling a bike

AndyRM

XOXO
Got my most recent bike from Evans in Gateshead. No major complaints. Tyres weren't inflated enough and they broke The Rules but that's it.

Mr Foldy

The only LBS I can get to is Halfords. They are well meaning, but I don't always trust them to give me expert advice, and they don't don't compete with Evans on range and price. I tend to use Amazon, Evans and for advice - Youtube and forums. Evans then. I have used them online a few times and they were pleasant and helpful. I got great advice and they never once pushed for a sale. I bought a tire and some tools. No problems.

Buchman

Regular
Mixed thoughts on my local Evans, really helpful in the ordering and test rides and with accessories. But my bike had no reflectors or bell, didn't notice in my excitement and doesn't shift through the gears properly.
I have taken it in to get the gearing done and it has come back with pretty much the same problem so going to have to go back there again.

Top Bottom